Converting a Radian 400amp 3ph Interlock PDP to an 800amp single main system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMoe

Occupation
Private Developer
Hey folks,

So I recently got a very nice deal on a Radian (RAD-PDP100KW-0027) "100KW" Military Power Distribution Panel. The panel basically consists of two primary input terminals, each wired to a GE Spectra RMS 400amp 3phase 600VAC MCCB (SGLA36A10400). Both of these breakers sit side by side, connected to the main busways and their operation is primarily separated via a mechanical metal device that prevents both of them being on at the same time.

I understand that the purpose behind this setup is to segregate separate power sources. However, given that the downstream breakers total 1,000amps/3ph, I've been digging into how to convert this unit into a single power source 800amp/3ph PDP. After doing some reading on these forums, I've come to the conclusion that given the simplicity of the design, the fact that being a military commissioned product it's overspec'd to at least 200% at its weakest point, and that the enclosure is huge, my best bet is to simply cut the busways, separate the system into two identical 400amp/3ph PDPs (obviously would have to move a few things around and provide some insulation between the copper bars.

The reason I'm reaching out to this community is in hopes that if anyone has a better idea (be it easier, safer, etc.). I would greatly appreciate any input.

I can't seem to attach photos so here is a link to the PDP's manual, which lays out in great detail everything there is to know about it. https/cdn.greenmounta

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the “Flag” icon in the bottom right corner of post

Status
Not open for further replies.