Converting from electric range and oven to the natural gas variety

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm looking for your opinion on how to handle this situation. Did some work for a guy and while I was there he was talking about replacing his electric stove with a gas one. To make a long story short:

Bullet points

• Customer mentions desire to purchase gas stove to replace electric stove
  • Asked if he should have the 50A 220V receptacle removed.
  • I said leave it there for any possible future appliance purchase
  • Appliance "installers" said to have it taken out

My question is an attempt to find out what's the:
Proper course of action:

1. Remove it for $50
  2. Convince him to keep it for $25

I am installing a 110V receptacle for the gas stove...he's had it on an extension cord -waiting for me- since the appliance guys were there last Wednesday.

John120/240

Leave it in place, I can't see a range recptacle being a hazzard. Why would you put any stock in

the appliance guy's opinion ? The wife might want to upgrade to a Viking 6 burner dual fuel

someday. If there are still concerns about safety remove the wires from the breaker.

jaylectricity

Occupation
I'm not putting ANY stock in the appliance guy's opinion. I'm putting myself in the customer's shoes. Should I just do what he asks? Or should I tell him the right answer and not take any money from it? Seems to me like I'm providing a service to him by saving him $50...isn't that worth $25 in itself?

I would do what he asks. No harm done either way. Not sure about the $25 to leave it though, in fact, $50 to remove is steap for a blank cover and a couple wire nuts since you will be on site anyway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is not alot of room behind a gas range. It is possible that the receptacles is in the way and must be removed. Of course, if it is recessed then there is no reason to remove it.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm not putting ANY stock in the appliance guy's opinion. I'm putting myself in the customer's shoes. Should I just do what he asks? Or should I tell him the right answer and not take any money from it? Seems to me like I'm providing a service to him by saving him $50...isn't that worth $25 in itself?

Seems like we are providing a service for you also, send me a check for $20 and I will give you my answer, $50 and I will give you the correct answer:D

mtfallsmikey

Charge him $50 to shut off the breaker.

You EC's are getting to be as bad as us plumbers! :lol:

Seriously tho, I kept my recp./breaker/wire when I switched to LP. There is a recess at the bottom of gas ranges to accomodate the gas valve, shutoff, etc.

jaylectricity

Occupation
I would do what he asks. No harm done either way. Not sure about the $25 to leave it though, in fact, $50 to remove is steap for a blank cover and a couple wire nuts since you will be on site anyway.

It's a surface mount, he'll want the receptacle gone and the wire removed from the crawl space.

Why not make the 50amp 220v a 20amp 120v?

Haha

There is not alot of room behind a gas range. It is possible that the receptacles is in the way and must be removed. Of course, if it is recessed then there is no reason to remove it.

I know it's not in the way. This guy is just particular about weird things. I guess I'll just charge him for however long it takes me to do it and be done with it.

CopperTone

you tried to tell the guy once - now just remove the wire for $50 and keep the wire and throw it in your scrap pile. move on - then in 8 years when he calls you to install a new 50amp stove line then you will charge him again.

in this case - the customer is right - just do what he asks;)

I think he was serious and I have done it often in the past.

You're correct Dennis, I wasn't kidding.

It's amazing how folks can't think outside the box sometimes.

To explain to the op: Tape one of the "hots" white at both ends. Pigtail all wires to number #12 solid. Remove the DP 50 breaker and replace with SP 20amp (and a filler plate). Install a 120v receptacle on the other end (you can use a raised cover if it's surface mount).

Why is that 'haha'?

jaylectricity

Occupation

To explain to the op: Tape one of the "hots" white at both ends. Pigtail all wires to number #12 solid. Remove the DP 50 breaker and replace with SP 20amp (and a filler plate). Install a 120v receptacle on the other end (you can use a raised cover if it's surface mount).

Why is that 'haha'?

Well first of all your assertion that I can't think outside the box is ridiculous. You don't think I've thought of that? I just think it's hacky. But to each his own.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Why is that 'haha'?

That's what I would have done to start with. You would have your 120V for the gas range and if later they wanted to go back to an electric range it would be no problem to convert it back.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When we moved into a rental house that was set up for an electric stove, and that did not have a 120V 20A receptacle available for our gas stove, the owner allowed us to hire an electrician to do the switch-over. He did exactly what electricguy61 described. I thought at the time that that was a poor choice, since a future tenant who had an electric stove would have to pay another electrician to reverse the installation. We lived there for five years, and we took our gas stove with us to our present house. I don't know what the next tenant did about the stove situation.

growler

I think you should remove the range circuit.

MY reasoning is this: The customers wants you to do so and is willing to pay for it ( end of story).

kwired

Electron manager

Why is that 'haha'?

Well first of all your assertion that I can't think outside the box is ridiculous. You don't think I've thought of that? I just think it's hacky. But to each his own.

The only thing not NEC compliant is marking one of the conductors (assuming they are smaller than 4AWG) white. If the existing circuit for electric range happens to be 3 wire with ground you will not even have that issue. You certainly should not have any voltage drop issues on the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.