Converting from electric range and oven to the natural gas variety

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I would disconnect the wires at the panel,pull the wire back to the crawl or cut it off in the crawl,Jbox it,sfae it off and leave it so if it had to be reused at any time down the road it would be ther. Or as others have said make it a 20 amp 120 v circuit and leave it there. Both solutions in my opinion are better than removing the conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
I would disconnect the wires at the panel,pull the wire back to the crawl or cut it off in the crawl,Jbox it,sfae it off and leave it so if it had to be reused at any time down the road it would be ther. Or as others have said make it a 20 amp 120 v circuit and leave it there. Both solutions in my opinion are better than removing the conductors.

If it is a 3 wire circuit and you decide to go back to electric range someday, can you reconnect it, or do you need to run a 4 wire circuit?

Leaving it as is should not raise this question.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is an easy fix and I would not call it hack. My preference would be to leave it and add another recep. but sometimes that is not a viable option. I have seen some gas ranges where you could not leave the range recep. there unless it was flush--I have seen very few of them.

jumper

I would change it to 120v in a heart beat. That small conductor rule of no rephasing is bull puckey.

The only thing that matters to me is proper identification of a conductor at every termination and splice.

220/221

Why not make the 50amp 220v a 20amp 120v?

Absolutely. Unless it's an old unsafe situation, why would you remove a circuit and add another smaller one in it's place?

The life of a building goes thru many phases. Someone may want an electric range in the future.

Pull the range wire out, if he wants you to, but attach a pull string, and leave it in the wall and label it so when they inevitably do another stove, they have something to fish with. Same with the wall down to the panel. Label it aswell.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
So I finally got over there to take care of this customer. I asked him if he wanted me to remove it and he said it didn't matter if I felt it didn't need to be done. So I took some advice in this thread and used the existing feeder.

I removed the 50A receptacle and pulled the cable down into the crawl space and landed it in a 411/16ths box and pulled 12-2 romex from that box to a spot above the countertop just to the left of the stove. That's another thing I've never done, but the counter space had no receptacle and the stove cord reached to the location, so there ya go.

Did everything like you guys said. Pigtails, re-identification, new breaker, the existing cable was all copper so no problems there. I did leave the old breaker in there to take up the space.

Anyway, thanks, it saved me the trouble of running a new wire through this crawl space which would have been a nightmare. It's clean but is currently being used to store anything and everything his wife saw at the Christmas Tree Shop or wherever. Wouldn't have been hard, so much as tedious and I don't think he'd want to pay me $450 for one plug.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Well first of all your assertion that I can't think outside the box is ridiculous. You don't think I've thought of that? I just think it's hacky. But to each his own.

Something that is safe and secure is not "hacky" even though it may be out of the ordinary. Every situation is different & sometimes you use what you have handy. Why do the unneeded work of removing the old cable, running a #12 or 14 back, etc, etc.

"Hacky" is tapping a hot & neutral from a range outlet for a nearby 120v receptacle, making it a 40 or 50 amp receptacle on 15 or 20 amp wire. I've seen that a few times.

"Hacky" is using doorbell wire for a new receptacle. I've seen that once.

Just 2 of many examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.