Converting gate opener to solar

Tomcnt909

Occupation
Student
Greetings everyone, I am converting my CO-Z Auto Sliding Gate Opener to Solar powered, my inquiry is in regards to my checklist if it has everything I will need to convert my Gate opener to Solar, or if possibly there's another item needed. Also can I know which is the best battery brand to purchase that will last the longest for I will be purchasing the Camco Large Battery Box to be used to store the battery beneath the dirt.

1. 6 AWG Copper Flexible Cable Wire /+/ Copper Wire Lugs Battery/ Heat Shrink
2. Giandel Power Inverter Pure Sine Wave 1200 Watt 12V DC to 120V
3. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel
4. Interstate Batteries 12V 55Ah Deep Cycle Battery Rechargeable SLA AGM

I am unsure of which Charge Controller I should purchase any recommendations ?

Renogy Wanderer Li 30A 12V PWM
Renogy 30A 12V/24V PWM Solar Charge Controller with LCD Display
GHB 20A 12V 24V Solar Charge Controller Auto Switch LCD

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
They don't do DIY here but what you're doing isn't as simple as you think it is and the only practical way to accomplish this would be a DC motor and whatever you do won't be UL listed or maybe even legal for your jurisdiction. I can't imagine this being cost effective in savings either.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I don't see why the inverter would be impractical, assuming it can handle any surge. The downside is it would be more expensive. The upside is it wouldn't risk the opener warranty.

I would save money with a low amp charge controller because you really don't need any significant power from the solar panel at any time. Whatever amps exceed the Isc of the solar panel.

Whether it's cost effective depends on whether the gate already has reliable power.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
The only way I could see it making economic sense is it was in a remote location with no power. For the most part gate openers consume little energy

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The only way I could see it making economic sense is it was in a remote location with no power. For the most part gate openers consume little energy
The small energy consumption makes it more likely to be economic, because the cost of trenching even a modest distance to a gate location is more likely to cost more than solar equipment.

That said, if this is 'converting' an installation that already has power it almost certainly won't pay for itself.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
cost of trenching even a modest distance
When I was a kid, I dug a trench about 100 feet long from our garage to my grandmother's greenhouse with a pick and shovel for a water line for a large peperoni pizza, a bottle of Orange Crush and some chocolate peanutbutter cup ice cream. I had to share it with my brother too because he said he helped

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Well that's about the cost of a 100W solar panel or a charge controller for this application. And not everyone has a grandkid to boss around.
In 1972 that was probably a little under 5 dollars

That's why homicide is most common among family members.
I was about 11 so that would make him about 6. He moved dirt around with his Buddy-L dump truck and toy steam shovel

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I had this fascinating experience about 10 years ago when I realized how slow and inefficient some people are at digging. I figured it was just one of those things anyone can do. But apparently I am very good at it. Unfortunately my shoulders start to give me trouble if I do too much of it - otherwise I would go down and help 😂
Dirt was one of my favorite toys when I was a kid. One time I dug a hole behind the barn and my brother fell in it headfirst. It was narrow so he kinda got wedged and it pinned his arms. I went in the house for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and my mom asked where my brother was. I said I don't know. Now the whole family gets in a panic. We're searching everywhere for him. My mom hears muffled screams and we all run back behind the barn. All you could see were his feet sticking out of the hole going a mile a minute.

He still doesn't like working in tight spaces