Copper Clad Aluminum NM vs Copper NM for Small Scale Multifamily

garbo

anyone know what the price difference is between a roll of 10-2 CCA VS 12-2 CU?
Found a 250' roll of 12/2 Copperweld CCA NM on E bay for $70. Another site wants $279 ( yes $279 ) for a 250' roll of 10/2 Copperweld CCA NM . Could not locate any on Amazon. Southwire & Copperweld both make CCA NM Cable. Like others posted would not use it in my house.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is aluminum conductors with a copper coating, so they get sized based on aluminum. If the copper is scraped off during termination or insulation striping, you essentially have AL conductors.
It doesn't scrap off or even get cut through when using spring type wirenuts. The thickness of the copper cladding must be at least 2.56% of the diameter and the copper must make up at least 10% of the total conductor cross sectional area.

For this I don't see a benefit but if 50 bucks a roll is the range I could see it making sense.

Remember we run lighting on crazy low power now and most will get off their high horse at a certain dollar amount.
Yeah What would be nice is some smaller wire, maybe 18GA for lighting circuits, at least for the load wire coming out of a switch. Such a waste to run 14 up to even say a six pattern of lights which is going to pull like half an amp.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yeah What would be nice is some smaller wire, maybe 18GA for lighting circuits, at least for the load wire coming out of a switch. Such a waste to run 14 up to even say a six pattern of lights which is going to pull like half an amp.
I'd love to use it for that I'd want something to account for the short circuit other than the breaker though. Like a dimmer with build in over current. I'd rather sell a dimmer with 6 cans and 18awg after the first can for the same price as the switch alone would be.