Copper Clad Aluminum NM vs Copper NM for Small Scale Multifamily

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I would think there would be a distinct difference in the feel and bending.
But it would probably just go over a lot of apprentice and J men's head. And they would treat it like copper.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking.
First time I experienced it, I knew it bent like aluminum. I immediately knew

But lots of guys will ignore the little voice, quietly .screaming at them

Birken Vogt

Considering it looks like regular copper, I would imagine most guys will just use regular wire nuts and regular devices
I doubt that will be a problem. IIRC the wire nuts they sell are just some normal wire nuts rebranded and sold with their name on them. The only problem I can guess will be too much flexing leading to breakage where copper would have survived. Maybe.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I doubt that will be a problem. IIRC the wire nuts they sell are just some normal wire nuts rebranded and sold with their name on them. The only problem I can guess will be too much flexing leading to breakage where copper would have survived. Maybe.
Rebranded and re-evaluated for use with CCA and identified with the "CC" marking required for wire nuts used with CCA.
They just paid for the additional testing to get the CC mark, something the main stream manufacturers won't do for their products.
However, you are correct, there was no physical changes made in the rebranded wire nuts, and standard wire nuts will be fine, other than the 110.3(B) violation.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I expect the wire nut issue will be moot in a few years. What incentive would the wire nut manufacturers have to not list their products for CCA?
Probably true but same as the purple ones costing a lot it's down to paying for lawyers. If someone says unknown cause of fire but there CCA in the fire damage that'll get the blame. I've seen more fires from chargers and batteries more than electrical wiring issues.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I expect the wire nut issue will be moot in a few years. What incentive would the wire nut manufacturers have to not list their products for CCA?
They don't like CCA. They have been asked by the CCA manufactures to get their products evaluated for use with CCA and refused. That is why copper-weld has their re-branded wire nuts on the marked.