Cord connected device in a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Question: Does a small UPS sitting in the bottom of an industrial control panel need to be strapped down in some fashion (someone told me that by code it needs to be secured because it is a cord connected device)????

Details:
We are building a custom industrial control panel. So we will need to comply w/NEC article 408. The UPS is similar to what is used for a personal computer & monitor. Everything in the panel will be powered through the UPS.

Tear it up guys!

benaround

Wireman,

I don't think that info is in the code book. I have seen them sitting on the bottom of

the control panel, but I don't like it there, it is always in the way and suscesptable to

damage. If you go to the trouble of having an UPS, it would be nice to be assured it

will work if called on !!

nakulak

rather than straps, I think it would be better to install springs behind it so that when the panel is opened it is automatically ejected from the panel

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
we sometimes use velcro to secure this kind of stuff in place. you'd be amazed how well a couple of strips of velcro can hold a piece of equipment in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.