Correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Aren't all service equipment enclosures required to have the neutrals bonded to GES? Here the only thing that's bonded (i think) is the main switch , customer is complaining about intermittent flickering .
I didn't different deeper yet but I believe that's all the service equipment should be bonded correct me if I'm wrong
5151271bb59bf871a1e22d017bc41a7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The grounding electrode conductor is required to be connected at or ahead of the service disconnect. It appears the meters/panels shown are downstream of a service disconnect thus not required to have a grounding electrode connection.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I still wish we were allowed to land exterior GECs in the meter; it's the ideal location with inside service disconnects.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Aren't all service equipment enclosures required to have the neutrals bonded to GES? Here the only thing that's bonded (i think) is the main switch , customer is complaining about intermittent flickering .
I didn't different deeper yet but I believe that's all the service equipment should be bonded correct me if I'm wrong

Is that a Federal Pacific 100A main, with 3 meters after it, and each apartment also has a upgraded 100A main?
Perhaps service lateral is overloaded?

kwired

Electron manager

If the breaker/enclosure to the left of the meters is the service disconnecting means, then that is where the GEC needs to go to, or any point ahead of there as has been mentioned. Everything beyond that is not service equipment. Everything beyond that should have isolated neutral (neutral bonded in the meters be a permitted exception here) and separate EGC's.

nickelec

I just got the call yesterday it never trips but I still suggested to change it

oldsparky52

Well, the neutral shouldn't be bonded to the can since the disconnect is before the meter. There should be 4 wires going to the meter and the neutral should be isolated.

I think we are seeing 2 different installations here.

You are thinking there is a disconnect before the meters? I'm thinking the disconnect to the left of the meters is double tapped on the house meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.