Countertop receptacles on or above

210.52 (C) isn't turning out to be very popular with the housewives. They want the island receptacles where they always were mounted - Just under the countertop at each end of the island. I had one get really mad at me today when I told her that the receptacles couldn't be mounted that way anymore.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
210.52 (C) isn't turning out to be very popular with the housewives. They want the island receptacles where they always were mounted - Just under the countertop at each end of the island. I had one get really mad at me today when I told her that the receptacles couldn't be mounted that way anymore.
Go back after final and put her one there. Paid in cash. No receipt, no photography. 😏

The task group for CMP 2 could not come to a consensus on the island receptacle issue, so it there will be a full and long discussion on this issue at the second draft meetings this week in Redondo Beach.
So when this happens when there is still a bunch of debate, uncertainty, or no consensus, why dont they hold off on making changes? Its so annoying when they make some knee jerk change, and then change it again next cycle too. These people to to chill out, maybe cannabis would help them?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So when this happens when there is still a bunch of debate, uncertainty, or no consensus, why dont they hold off on making changes? Its so annoying when they make some knee jerk change, and then change it again next cycle too. These people to to chill out, maybe cannabis would help them?
At the panel meeting, they only need a 50% +1 majority to put it on the ballot. The written ballot requires a 2/3s majority to make a change. If they don't get a 2/3s majority on the written ballot, the code section will stay as it is in the 2023 code.
Even when the task group report recommends a Public Comment be accepted or rejected, there will still likely be some discussion at the panel meeting to get the views of the complete panel and not just the views of the members of the specific task group.

At the panel meeting, they only need a 50% +1 majority to put it on the ballot. The written ballot requires a 2/3s majority to make a change. If they don't get a 2/3s majority on the written ballot, the code section will stay as it is in the 2023 code.
Even when the task group report recommends a Public Comment be accepted or rejected, there will still likely be some discussion at the panel meeting to get the views of the complete panel and not just the views of the members of the specific task group.
but they just changed this in 2023, so why are they changing (or talking about changing) it again? They shoudnt be making a change if its so shaky and uncertain that they change it again next cycle.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
but they just changed this in 2023, so why are they changing (or talking about changing) it again? They shoudnt be making a change if its so shaky and uncertain that they change it again next cycle.
They have to act on every Public Input and every Public Comment that is submitted. Often there is a change in the panel members, so if panel 2 has some member changes, that could change the opinion of the total panel as compared with the previous cycle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm glad that were still under the 2020 NEC. I'll be putting in a new kitchen later this year and I'll be installing a receptacle at the each end of the island and the peninsula. I use the island receptacle about 4 or 5 times a week and I extremely dislike having pop-up type receptacle in the countertop.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
So we have a bunch of smart folk here. How about we come up with a reasonable way to install outlets on the side of the island and prevent the hazard of kids snagging cords?

My thought has been to require a some sort of mechanical cord chase to guide the cords to the countertop. This could be as simple as some sort of decorative bridle rings. Maybe require semi-recessed angled receptacles so that the cords point up toward the countertop rather than out away from the countertop.

It seems to me that a real safety problem has been identified, but that solutions are possible without eliminating the benefits of island receptacles and without forcing the most expensive counter top solutions.