Countertop receptacles on or above

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
So we have a bunch of smart folk here. How about we come up with a reasonable way to install outlets on the side of the island and prevent the hazard of kids snagging cords?

My thought has been to require a some sort of mechanical cord chase to guide the cords to the countertop. This could be as simple as some sort of decorative bridle rings. Maybe require semi-recessed angled receptacles so that the cords point up toward the countertop rather than out away from the countertop.

It seems to me that a real safety problem has been identified, but that solutions are possible without eliminating the benefits of island receptacles and without forcing the most expensive counter top solutions.
How about banning electricity if kids live in the house?

kwired

Electron manager
The way it's worded an outlet installed to serve the work surface must be above the work surface, yet there is no requirement to have one at all serving an island or peninsula, though provisions need to be provided to add one if ever desired to have one serving the counter top.

There is nothing that says you can not put receptacles on the side of the island or peninsula, they just don't count as serving the counter top - even if placed just below the counter top.

May not have been the intention but is what it says.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't have a receptacle in my island. I prewired for one but never got around to installing it and as time went by nobody noticed. Then theres the trend where islands in kitchens are on wheels so those dont get recepts. I think it's a design issue and should be left out of the code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yeah, in all my travels I rarely see anything plugged into Island receptacles other than phones chargers.
That's because people rarely leave something plugged in and sitting on an island. I use my island receptacle several times a week but I don't leave the toaster or vacuum sealer sitting out on the island 24/7. They remain in a cabinet until they're being used. Same thing would apply to a blender, food processor, etc.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That's because people rarely leave something plugged in and sitting on an island. I use my island receptacle several times a week but I don't leave the toaster or vacuum sealer sitting out on the island 24/7. They remain in a cabinet until they're being used. Same thing would apply to a blender, food processor, etc.
Same here. The air fryer, toaster, and slow cooker are only there during their use.
I know this doesn't negate all dangers but most modern fryers and slow cookers use break away connections.

garbo

From what I remember reading the NEC stopped allowing receptacles to be mounted on side of islands was due to young kids & even adults catching on the cord and pulling over a hot container. Now with life time liability laws I would never install such a receptacle even if customer paid me in cash. The pop up receptacles are a much safer choice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
From what I remember reading the NEC stopped allowing receptacles to be mounted on side of islands was due to young kids & even adults catching on the cord and pulling over a hot container. Now with life time liability laws I would never install such a receptacle even if customer paid me in cash. The pop up receptacles are a much safer choice.
Depending on what code cycle you're on you could be permitted install the receptacle on the side of the island. I would bet that many people dislike the pop-up style receptacles cut into the countertop.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not many homeowners around here would not like a tombstone or pop up outlet cut into their stone countertop. This should be left to the homeowner to manage or except the liability of having cords hanging over the counter.

kwired

Electron manager
From what I remember reading the NEC stopped allowing receptacles to be mounted on side of islands
Nothing I read disallows them on the side. They did change what receptacles are required as well as made it somewhat optional to have the required ones.

As worded if the receptacle is intended to serve the countertop it must be in or above the counter top and no longer allowed to be below the countertop.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Nothing I read disallows them on the side. They did change what receptacles are required as well as made it somewhat optional to have the required ones.

As worded if the receptacle is intended to serve the countertop it must be in or above the counter top and no longer allowed to be below the countertop.
So how far below the countertop on the side of the island would render the receptacle as not one of the "Receptacle outlets, if installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface"?

kwired

Electron manager
So how far below the countertop on the side of the island would render the receptacle as not one of the "Receptacle outlets, if installed to serve an island or peninsular countertop or work surface"?
Anything below because of the way they worded it. They have no wording that prohibits having outlets below the top of the counter, just wording that says if the outlet is intended to serve the countertop space it must be in/on or above.

Then they say you don't necessarily need to have any outlets serving the counter top, but need provisions to be able to add one. No reason IMO that one couldn't extend from the one on the side if you ever wanted one on top - so for now one on the side should still be acceptable. Might not be what they intended but complies with what they ended up printing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anything below because of the way they worded it. They have no wording that prohibits having outlets below the top of the counter, just wording that says if the outlet is intended to serve the countertop space it must be in/on or above.
So 6" below the countertop and I just tell the inspector they didn't want any receptacles to serve the island countertop? I mentioned this a few months ago in another thread where the wording should say any receptacle below a given distance from the island countertop is NOT serving the countertop. The old code versions used 12" so it should give an explicit measurement.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Same here. The air fryer, toaster, and slow cooker are only there during their use.
I know this doesn't negate all dangers but most modern fryers and slow cookers use break away connections.

The only break away connection my old air fryer has would be if it fell off the counter full of French fries the weight of it might possibly jerk the cord out of receptacle,,,, but, I doubt it. :)

Jap>

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The only break away connection my old air fryer has would be if it fell off the counter full of French fries the weight of it might possibly jerk the cord out of receptacle,,,, but, I doubt it. :)

Jap>
I don't think air fryers have the same safety rules as deep fryers.