Countertop receptacles on or above

retirede

Were they actually drilled on site or were they manufactured with the holes?

Jap>

Both. The 2 faucet holes were in there when they showed up at my house. They drilled the one for the air switch on-site. The finishes of the bores all looked identical so my guess is they were all drilled post-finishing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Both. The 2 faucet holes were in there when they showed up at my house. They drilled the one for the air switch on-site. The finishes of the bores all looked identical so my guess is they were all drilled post-finishing.
Field drilling or cutting of stone is not difficult. I cut my granite countertop with a circular saw, diamond blade, and spray tank (to supply the water) to install a new cooktop that didn't fit in the old hole.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The way it's worded an outlet installed to serve the work surface must be above the work surface, yet there is no requirement to have one at all serving an island or peninsula, though provisions need to be provided to add one if ever desired to have one serving the counter top.

There is nothing that says you can not put receptacles on the side of the island or peninsula, they just don't count as serving the counter top - even if placed just below the counter top.

May not have been the intention but is what it says.
And you might be required to do so, if the island or peninsula counts as wall space. The task group was working on language to permit receptacles on the sides as long as they are at least 24" from the countertop.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And you might be required to do so, if the island or peninsula counts as wall space. The task group was working on language to permit receptacles on the sides as long as they are at least 24" from the countertop.and why 24"?
With the current wording I agree with kwired, the original code change should have considered need for the additional code wording. And why 24"? Previous code versions required 12". 24" means that the receptacle will need to no higher then 12" above the floor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
With the current wording I agree with kwired, the original code change should have considered need for the additional code wording. And why 24"? Previous code versions required 12". 24" means that the receptacle will need to no higher then 12" above the floor.
Most cooking appliances have a 24" cord, so that prevents the countertop cooking appliance from being plugged into the receptacle that is required by the wall space rule.

norcal

Most cooking appliances have a 24" cord, so that prevents the countertop cooking appliance from being plugged into the receptacle that is required by the wall space rule.
Right or wrong a short extension cord will take care of the problem, but my point is trying to "idiot proof" things is not going to work.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Kitchens are a relatively dangerous place. Between knives, stoves, hot pots, etc. I don't understand how this makes it any more safe than a stove top already is for a kid. Tamper proof receptacles is really the extent you can go to. If a kid can reach the fryer they could still hurt themselves.

Manufacturers can add stickers / labels that say DO NOT GRAB on the cable but some kids can't read. And some adults too.

Yeah there are often consequences of these well intended things. Now we will have people running stuff on islands with an extension cord from the main counter, and that's going to be much more dangerous than just the 2 ft cord plugged into a recept on the island would have been. Or you'll just have people putting in the receps after inspection.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Or you'll just have people putting in the receps after inspection.
Or never putting them in, which is what I did, and I have never been tempted to use an extension cord. Either way, it's a design issue. I think the rule that you only have to make provisions for a recept in the island is a good compromise.