Covered Up Receptacles In Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

About a week ago, I went to large book retail store for a partial final inspection. This is a rehab/remodel job due to hurricane damage. At that time, I noted a wall with approx. 10 receptacles along it.

Today, I went back to the site for another inspection not related to that wall. I noticed the wall containing the receptacles are now covered by fixed in place shelving that are screwed to the wall and to each other. Not only that, but these shelves have small luminaires built in and are cord-and-plug connected.

I started questioning the issue with the contractor and site electrician. The electrical contractor nor the GC are responsible for the shelving installation. This is being done by the book retailer. I contacted my supervisor about the situation and was basically told to drop the issue and only worry about the work being performed by the electrical contractor.

While I was looking at the shelving, I could not find any labeling on the fixture or cord. Basically, the installers plug the cord in, put the shelving unit in place, and screw it to the wall and adjacent shelves. The receptalces and attachment plug are completely not-accessible.

Anyone see any problems with this?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Covered Up Receptacles In Use

I don?t see a code problem with this. And I hope there is none, or else I may have to do something about the shelves in my bedroom! :D

It?s not a dwelling unit, so I don?t think there is a requirement for any minimum number of receptacles or any maximum spacing. I also know of no rule that forbids me to place something ?difficult to move? in front of a receptacle. Finally, there is a rule that you can?t use the space above a ?false ceiling? for plug & cord connections, but I know of no similar rule forbidding the connection of a plug & cord device behind a shelf.

sandsnow

Is it furniture or is it built in?

If someone puts builds in cabinets in front of a recep, then we have a violation; unless a hole is cut in the back.

If someone puts a pre fab shelf unit in, then it sounds like furniture and is ok.

314.29 ...without removing any part of the building......

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Thanks, Larry. I had a vague suspicion that there might have been a prohibition somewhere, but I could not think of where to look.

To Bryan: I think the shelves in my bedroom might be OK, under Larry?s interpretation, but the shelves you described might not be OK. The difference is that mine are screwed to each other, but not to the walls. I have heard (but have nothing to back up this statement) that if a device must be detached from a wall, it would not meet the intent of the phrase ?without removing any part of the building.?

sandsnow

Charlie
Your welcome. Even if the units are screwed to each other and to the wall, will you take them with you when you move?
Or another question, will you take your kitchen cabinets with you??
One of the above is obviously part of the building, the other just furniture secured in case of a seismic event or something.

john m. caloggero

Section 314.29 states in part that wiring within a box must be accessible without removing any PART OF THE BUILDING. Is the shelving or cabinets part of the building? if they are, then openings must be provided. In addition, see the definition of "Accessible (as applied to wiring methods)"

allenwayne

Bryan your original inspection was for what the install was at that time.Your responsibility ends there plain and simple.Kinda like going to a home for a retro fitted pool and when you get there the panel in the garage has a 4 ft deep work bench built in front of it.
You are there to inspect the pool inspection.There was a pool prewire so the panel is not in question.Lets now say you see a home made receptacle box MR. H/O `R made in his garage.it consists of 15 a and 20 amp receps mounted in a metal mud box and there is no ground screw and it didn`t reach the receptacle so MR. H/O`R spliced on a non grounded cord,what do you do ;)

sandsnow

Originally posted by allenwayne:
Inspect what you are there for leave the can of worms closed,go home hug the hunny and try again the next day ;)
I agree in principle although in the case Bryan presented, I do not think it applies.

He was there for an inspection of a TI and all the electrical work in the space should be under his approval. His bosses view to just look at what EC did is not one I share. Does that mean the leasee can screw up all the electrical he wants either directly or indirectly.
As a contractor, wouldn't you lose respect for a department that operated that way? Different rules for different people?
After the TI gets final, then fine, whatever. It's not right, but the permits are finaled.

jimwalker

I see a violation.They no longer are accesable without removing part of the building.Is this his job ? I say yes as he can not overlook any violations seen.JMO

pierre

As an inspector, we are there to protect the public, whether they like it or not. When making an inspection, if we see a potentially hazardous situation, it is our moral and ethical duty to respond to it. There are many who are not happy about this, but it has to be.
The book store is a public place where people go to enjoy themselves and not have to fear for their wellbeing. I think Bryan absolutely did the correct thing and should persue this till he is satisfied.

Recently I have been sued for "prejidicial inspections creating excessive costs". I have won both cases in court in front of a judge. I guess I will continue until told otherwise ;)

If those display cases are fastened to the structure, then I would see a problem with the cords not being visible and the cord insertion to the receptacle (disconnecting means) not being accessible.

sandsnow

There are all kinds of horror stories about AHJ's who go way overboard. In the case of the mobile with the hole in the roof, the "hole" in this case is the person who condemed the place instead of working with the owner in getting it fixed. Of course to really get a true picture of the story we would need the AHJ's side of the story. The electrical inspector did the right thing in reporting the hazard. Our jurisdiction would never "cut someone off at the knees" if they were doing due diligence to correct something.
Any inspector requires good judgement in the performance of his or her duties.

If I'm there for an electrical inspection and saw an improper vented gas appliance or a broken sewer line I would be liable if something happened because the first thing people will say is "the inspector saw it and didn't tell me there was a problem." That is willfull negligence and you can bet I would be sued over it.

Back to Bryans case, I think the installation could be acceptable. Just because something is screwed to the wall doesn't automatically make it part of the building. I have a six foot high entertainment center in my house. It sits right in front of some receptacles. I will be bracing it to the wall with a strap in case of earthquake. It's still furniture.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by charlie b:
Originally posted by pierre: As an inspector, we are there to protect the public, whether they like it or not.
Very well put! :D
So are the Police but they can not go poking around where they do not have some sort of permission to do so.

An inspector must walk a fine line between protecting the public and intrusion.

JMO, Bob

allenwayne

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by charlie b:
Originally posted by pierre: As an inspector, we are there to protect the public, whether they like it or not.
Very well put! :D
So are the Police but they can not go poking around where they do not have some sort of permission to do so.

An inspector must walk a fine line between protecting the public and intrusion.
Very well put bob,I actually know of one inspector that will go out of his way stop when going down a road to see if a project has a permit posted or is permitted at all.
I agree if there is an inspection on a property that there is actually a permit taken out on and an inspector goes there to inspect part of the job he does have some legal liabilities to ensure the safety of the public.
But if there for a service upgrade and someone is working on a roof is it his job to ensure that there is a permit pulled for that roof ;)
Service upgrade is fine be done with it,now if there is a 2 story addition being built and we all know electric will be involved yes I agree in that case he/she can question it but a hole in a roof ???Be real

JMO, Bob

bphgravity

In a neighboring jurisdiction, all the building inspectors have a duel role as code compliance officer. That is, if they during their travels see a person watering their lawn on the wrong day for example, it is their responsibility to confront the owner and get the matter resolved.

In my jurisdiction, we have actual code complaince officers dedicated to these issues, however they have always requested we act as an extra pair of eyes for them and report things we see around the county.

This particular situation doesn't really fit a code compliance issue. What bothers me the most is that there does not seem to be a written or even suggested policy for this occurance. Most of the other guys are of the attitude that they can only do so much and faning the flames doesn't get good results.

I am looking forward to bringing this issue up at the next IAEI meeting to see how other areas handle these issues.

Thanks for the replies.

sandsnow

posted by allenwayne:
But if there for a service upgrade and someone is working on a roof is it his job to ensure that there is a permit pulled for that roof or is there a permit pulled for the concrete being poured? There has to be a line drawn and some AHJ`s just have no clue as to where thier authority ends

In our city the answer is yes if the the scope of said work requires a permit. And yes if in our travels we see work done without permit it is investigated.
Why does this seem so strange? :confused: Some types of work requires a permit. It is usually a city or county ordinance to that effect.

allenwayne

Originally posted by sandsnow:
posted by allenwayne:
But if there for a service upgrade and someone is working on a roof is it his job to ensure that there is a permit pulled for that roof or is there a permit pulled for the concrete being poured? There has to be a line drawn and some AHJ`s just have no clue as to where thier authority ends

In our city the answer is yes if the the scope of said work requires a permit. And yes if in our travels we see work done without permit it is investigated.
Why does this seem so strange? ;)
Point being if we open a can of worms be willing to collect them and get back on the original path without floundering the other paths in progress.

sandsnow

I'm sorry and shocked that your inspections are so far out. If you call before 4pm, we're there the next day.
We work in different worlds
EDIT add: It is the responsibility of the bldg dept to ensure all applicable work is permitted. I may not stop and stick my nose in the door, but I look it up when I get back into the office.

[ May 13, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: sandsnow ]

Status
Not open for further replies.