Covered Up Receptacles In Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Covered Up Receptacles In Use

Originally posted by Pierre:
I have to let you guys know this:
I was in Mass. yesterday and drove by Bob's house.
He was in the process of wiring his pool - NM cable strung through the trees to a pool panel mounted to the side of his pool. :D :D
Come on, I sealed up the NEMA 1 panel with self vulcanizing silicone sealant. :D

I left the 'envelope' with the unmarked bills in the mail box.

You where supposed to keep quiet. ;)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by pierre:
Bob
I am glad you have a sense of humor. I was in Mass. yesterday. My daughter goes to school at Hampshire college in Amherst. How far is that from you?
Heck life's to short not to have a good time with it. :)

Amherst is almost 100 miles from me, I live in MA only 15 minutes from Providence RI.

Draw a straight line between Boston MA and Providence RI and it will pass through my area. :)

Bob

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Taken from the '02 NEC, Definitions:

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

Also from the '02 NEC:

314.29 Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

There doesn't seem to be a separate requirement that receptacles be any more accessible than any other outlet box, so it looks like "accessible", rather than "readily accessible", applies here.

While we all agree that boxes cannot be rendered inaccessible by building materials, I don't believe that shelving units and other furniture, even if attached to the building, are part of the building.

It seems to me that, for example, a junction box may be placed behind a kitchen cabinet, since the cabinet can be removed from the wall by removing screws, similarly to an architectural access panel.

After all, stationary appliances, such as refrigerators and cooking units, have been positioned in front of receptacles for years, even if the appliances are "built-in".

Nonetheless, my personal opinion is that the receptacles should be exposed if the shelves are immovable. Even better, box extensions could be used to place the receptacles at the new surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.