Creative Hot Water Heater wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
On Saturday I was asked to hook up a hot water heater in a building that's getting ready for occupancy. They had to switch from gas to electric hot water as it seems the local gas company has not yet made the gas service, uh, usable.

I assumed that all I was going to do is connect from a 4" box to the heater. When I got there I found that, uh, I was going to be doing a bit more than that.

I found that the heater was installed as a "transverse partition cord and plug attached device". Meaning, someone drilled a hole through wall and plugged this 2kVA heater into a 15A outlet using a sliced up extension cord.

BadHeater.jpg

After much arguing, which included words like "death", "electrocution" and "fire", I explained that I couldn't just turn the outlet around and plug the heater in without having the "partition penetration feature" ("hole drilled through wall") no longer being used. Oh, I also said things like "Sure, you can find someone who'll do it, but they won't be a licensed electrician." I then explained the finer points of "can" and "may" and their role in the English language.

We then set about finding someone who was appropriately experienced, not busy on a Saturday, and willing to work for free. I was given a Giant List of Stuff to buy, some of which I knew what to do with.

After running all the Brand New Wires and playing Juggle The Circuit Breakers, this is what we wound up with --

GoodHeater.jpg

JohnJ0906

Some of the great creativity needed to make some lousy installs! I guess the extention cord also serves as a space heater for the utility room, by the time it heats up!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
T, here's a tip: When you strap FMC, give the strap a little bend to decrease it's diameter a hair. Then you can pull the FMC tight between straps, resulting in a cleaner-looking install.

Was there any chance of entering the area from the corner of the room, and drilling a hole through the floor, instead of using the crack in it at the far side?

Enough critique! It looks as though you left it safer, more code compliant, and better looking. Good job. :)

tallgirl

Occupation
georgestolz said:
T, here's a tip: When you strap FMC, give the strap a little bend to decrease it's diameter a hair. Then you can pull the FMC tight between straps, resulting in a cleaner-looking install.

Was there any chance of entering the area from the corner of the room, and drilling a hole through the floor, instead of using the crack in it at the far side?

Enough critique! It looks as though you left it safer, more code compliant, and better looking. Good job. :)

I'm not sure if we could have made a new hole in the corner. When we drew straws to see who climbed under the building (pier and beam construction), I batted my eyes at him and somehow got to stay nice and clean.

(That's not actually what happened -- I asked him if he was getting paid, figuring if he was getting paid, he was going to be getting dirty. I then told him that's why I asked, and he offered to climb under the building anyway ...)

tallgirl

Occupation
celtic said:
I was thinking the same thing!

422.31 (B).

It's in a box with a padlock on it.

(The building inspectors were there yesterday, I'm sure I'll hear about it if it was done wrong. I'll make it a point to swing by there the next time I'm in town to see if it was changed.

Also, they aren't under the 2005 NEC, and that section is new for 2005, so it may not be required to have had anything in plain sight.)

Brady Electric

Cretive water heater wiring

Cretive water heater wiring

Sometimes we have to bend the rules a little which we all hate to do. But in this case at least you made a bad situtation better. Thanks for shareing with us. Semper Fi.

tallgirl

Occupation
Brady Electric said:
Sometimes we have to bend the rules a little which we all hate to do. But in this case at least you made a bad situtation better. Thanks for shareing with us. Semper Fi.

Okay, now I'm confused. The disconnecting means was 30A 1P (120v heater) in a panel around the building's corner from where the hot water heater was connected in that small room. That panel really did have a padlock on it (I even touched it myself).

How does that not comply with 422.31 (B)?

I do argue with the electricians I work with. I'm even right sometimes :) But this time I didn't see anything wrong with it and the grocery list didn't include a 30A 1P switch to mount near the heater as its disconnecting means. (Keep in mind that New Orleans isn't under the 2005 NEC. I don't even think they are under the 2002 NEC, for that matter.)

iwire

Staff member
tallgirl said:

part of 422.31(B)

where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position.

'where the circuit breaker is capable of being locked in the open position'

It does not say 'where the panel is capable of being locked in the closed position'

The locking device must be on the breaker not the panelboard.

I have this inspector on this job that is insane. He wants a disconnect on the waterheater (panel is within 10', but not within sight) or a locking breaker in the panel. To solve this I have provided a two pole 20amp toggle switch on an industrial cover. I sure hope this satisfies him, it does meet the code requirement.

tallgirl

Occupation
iwire said:
part of 422.31(B)

'where the circuit breaker is capable of being locked in the open position'

It does not say 'where the panel is capable of being locked in the closed position'

The locking device must be on the breaker not the panelboard.

Thanks.

Did that change in the 2002 or 2005 code cycle? Louisiana is just now entering the 21st century ...

iwire

Staff member
623merlin said:
I have this inspector on this job that is insane. He wants a disconnect on the waterheater (panel is within 10', but not within sight) or a locking breaker in the panel.

Why do you feel he is 'insane'?

He is correct per the NEC.

Bob NH

Would it be interpreted that the breaker is within sight of the appliance, such as a water heater, if the side of the subpanel is within sight of the appliance, but the breaker itself is not visible from the heater position because: (1) There is a door on the subpanel which prevents seeing the breaker, and (2) The face of the panel is at an angle which just prevents the breaker from being seen from the heater when the door is open?

DesertRat

tallgirl said:
Thanks.

Did that change in the 2002 or 2005 code cycle? Louisiana is just now entering the 21st century ...

Not sure when that "changed" but the oldest book I have at my desk is 1999, and 422.31 is worded indentically in 1999 and 2005.

Status
Not open for further replies.