Creative Hot Water Heater wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well not only is he having us re-secure or demo all the abandoned conduit (30 year old building, TI) He is making the communications, burglar alarm and mechanical contractor secure and bundle their low voltage wire so as to be off the grid (by it's own supporting means). He is the first inspector I have ever seen (in 20 years) get on a lift and spot check above the grid and he is maybe 4 foot tall in elevator shoes (Napoleon complex). I can see removing or securing loose or unsafe abandoned conduits but these passed inspection some time in the past and are in no danger of falling, not to mention there are no conductors in any of it. He just seems to be picking nits either that or he is obsessive compulsive.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
DesertRat said:
Not sure when that "changed" but the oldest book I have at my desk is 1999, and 422.31 is worded indentically in 1999 and 2005.

Live and learn. I'll definitely have to swing by that building next time I'm in town and see if the EC was made to fix it, and if so, how.

I'll also be sure to remind whatever EC I'm working with about the disconnecting means whenever I'm given a grocery list for Home Despot and it doesn't include something.

(Edited to clarify who "whomever" is.)

Last edited:

DesertRat

623merlin said:
Well not only is he having us re-secure or demo all the abandoned conduit (30 year old building, TI) He is making the communications, burglar alarm and mechanical contractor secure and bundle their low voltage wire so as to be off the grid (by it's own supporting means). He is the first inspector I have ever seen (in 20 years) get on a lift and spot check above the grid and he is maybe 4 foot tall in elevator shoes (Napoleon complex). I can see removing or securing loose or unsafe abandoned conduits but these passed inspection some time in the past and are in no danger of falling, not to mention there are no conductors in any of it. He just seems to be picking nits either that or he is obsessive compulsive.

I'm not sure what your local ordinances are. But many areas will require you to bring an entire structure up to current code if you are working on greater than a given percentage of that structure (in many places I've worked, a typical TI project would be of large enough scope to meet the criteria.) If that is the case, then yes, you have to support the existing conduits to meet current code.

Status
Not open for further replies.