Cutler hamster main breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
200 amp main breaker in Cutler hamster CH load center, guessing 20 years old. Not familiar with CH stuff. Can I buy a new CH loadcenter and steal the breaker, have they changed them? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_100438973.jpg
    IMG_20200127_100438973.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 59

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
:sick:
Disappointed, opened this thread expecting to see an electrocuted fried hamster in a panel and left to wonder how the hamster got into the panel.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
:sick:
Disappointed, opened this thread expecting to see an electrocuted fried hamster in a panel and left to wonder how the hamster got into the panel.
Our guys in the field sometimes send us pictures of crispy critters that have bridged the busbars in an MDP. Most often they are lizards.

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Why not just buy the new breaker with the load center? The cost difference should be negligible. Plus that breaker has the appearance of being a bit beat.
Perhaps someone else can answer the question on whether that breaker can fit a new load center. But better way may be to get the serial number off of that breaker and contact your local Eaton rep comparing it to new load center if you insist on using that same breaker.

Why not just buy the new breaker with the load center? The cost difference should be negligible. Plus that breaker has the appearance of being a bit beat.
Perhaps someone else can answer the question on whether that breaker can fit a new load center. But better way may be to get the serial number off of that breaker and contact your local Eaton rep comparing it to new load center if you insist on using that same breaker.
Right that is the question: if I can buy a MB load center and take the breaker from it. Probably cheaper than buying the breaker separately, as long as they haven't changed them. I never use Eaton so I'm not familiar with when they have changed things.

Sorry no cute fried hamster pics.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not going to be a direct swap, the load centers were redesigned since the panel in the OP's photo was built.
No, but I've done it plenty of times, especially in an emergency. I also use the new panel's front cover.

Well the local supply house had the CCV2200 which they said is the replacement for the CC2200. It fit perfect, just had to remove the load side lugs. Hated to do it, it was $200 but wasnt worth saving $80 buying online and going back another time. Only 10k AIC too, lame. Swapping the whole panel would have sucked. Thought about the gut swap, but didnt really want to deal with that either.

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Only 10k AIC too, lame.
10k AIC will work just fine as long as your short circuit current isn't above 10k AIC.
Is this right on the secondary of a small transformer? What size transformer and what is the voltage? We can guess the impedance of the transformer as 5.75% unless you know better.

If this 200A breaker and panel is fed from a distribution panel from a larger transformer, we can figure that out too. 10K AIC still might be good.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Well the local supply house had the CCV2200 which they said is the replacement for the CC2200. It fit perfect, just had to remove the load side lugs. Hated to do it, it was $200 but wasnt worth saving $80 buying online and going back another time. Only 10k AIC too, lame. Swapping the whole panel would have sucked. Thought about the gut swap, but didnt really want to deal with that either.

Ouch. My purchase was at a local preferred supply house for $100 plus.

10k AIC will work just fine as long as your short circuit current isn't above 10k AIC.
Is this right on the secondary of a small transformer? What size transformer and what is the voltage? We can guess the impedance of the transformer as 5.75% unless you know better.

If this 200A breaker and panel is fed from a distribution panel from a larger transformer, we can figure that out too. 10K AIC still might be good.

I think your impedance value is pretty high. That is about what I would expect for a 500-1000 KVA padmount. This is a 75 KVA pole mount. I dont know the impedance, but I have seen the same transformer in a 25 and 50 and the %Z of those were 2.4 and 2.9 respectively. IF we go with 3%, that is about 10500 on the secondary. Throw the 336 triplex and some parallel 250 SE conductors its a 400A service), we are in good shape. Being single phase, L-N fault may be 1.5 times higher, but a quick calc shows that is right about 10K so looks like we are good.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bet I have 2 of those breakers in my basement that we pulled out of a job a few years back. I can check. If you want them I will send it to you. pm me... I will be home around 1pm

I bet I have 2 of those breakers in my basement that we pulled out of a job a few years back. I can check. If you want them I will send it to you. pm me... I will be home around 1pm

Thanks Dennis, but I paid the $200 and got it done. Yeah it is frustrating knowing someone has a stack of those in their garage somewhere waiting for the scapper. About 6 weeks ago I had to replace another 200 amp main. This is one of those Quads, essentially assembled from 2-100's with a long handle tie. Had to pay about $200 for that one too. That service is on the schedule to be upgraded to 400A three phase, but it was tripping at ~ 120 amps so what do you do......Again I bet dozens of those are taken out every day in america and thrown in the dumpster (or preferably recycling).

Status
Not open for further replies.