Decora plates on tile walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How the heck do you hold on to such a short screw when using a grinder? Especially a hand held type of grinder?
How about threading the screw into your wire cutter/stripper/crimper and grinding instead of trying to shear it?
Or just use a threaded plate to hold the screw if you are worried about damaging your tool.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

PetrosA

How the heck do you hold on to such a short screw when using a grinder? Especially a hand held type of grinder?

Seems easier to me to put the diamond blade in the grinder and fix the wall surface so it will accept the screw.

Actually, for 1/32" I'd probably just use a file, but to grind it, I'd screw it into the yoke and use the device to hold it. I can't think of the last time I had to shave such a small amount off of a screw though...

kwired

Electron manager
Actually, for 1/32" I'd probably just use a file, but to grind it, I'd screw it into the yoke and use the device to hold it. I can't think of the last time I had to shave such a small amount off of a screw though...
Read the thread title, exactly the application where shaving off a small amount can be pretty common. All you have for margin of error with is the thickness of the device yoke and 1/32" is a lot when considering your margin of error allowed and need to get that screw length pretty exact. If you get it too long the first try shaving off what else is needed is not going to be easy to do with the screw cutter in your stripper tool. If you get it too short the first try, you need a new screw.

stickboy1375

Well I have never measured either but it has always been when trying to remove a real small amount from the screw when the cutter doesn't like to cooperate, then you turn the screw in a little farther so it will cut better and end up with a screw too short to work for the application.

I don't want to point out the obvious here, but you can always get a longer plate screw and cut it to the desired length if you screw up on your first attempt? it happens. I just seem to have memorized how many threads should be showing before I cut it, and I've never had an issue?.

iwire

Staff member
Read the thread title, exactly the application where shaving off a small amount can be pretty common. All you have for margin of error with is the thickness of the device yoke and 1/32" is a lot when considering your margin of error allowed and need to get that screw length pretty exact. If you get it too long the first try shaving off what else is needed is not going to be easy to do with the screw cutter in your stripper tool. If you get it too short the first try, you need a new screw.

Wow, I had no idea a 6-32 could present such a problem. :D

I guess I am lucky or a just a world class screw cutter. :p

kwired

Electron manager
Wow, I had no idea a 6-32 could present such a problem. :D

I guess I am lucky or a just a world class screw cutter. :p

I didn't know it was such a problem either. I can take my 4.5 inch grinder to all the openings in the average tile backsplash likely faster than I can trim all the screws to an exact length. So many here are always concerned about doing things as quickly as possible so they can get more productivity, here is a good example.

Of course there are some that say a tile backsplash gets no receptacles for appearance purposes anyway - you are supposed to run plugmold right under the upper cabinets so you have no receptacles disturbing any features of the design of the backsplash.

norcal

The same issue comes up when a plaster ring is flush w/ the finished drywall like they should be, had the problem when using P&S stainless plates think it's time to make a tool to hold the screw while grinding it down w/ my trusty vintage Rockwell 1"X 42" sander. The "tool" had in mind is a 6/32 nut welded to a bolt or some rod.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The same issue comes up when a plaster ring is flush w/ the finished drywall like they should be, had the problem when using P&S stainless plates think it's time to make a tool to hold the screw while grinding it down w/ my trusty vintage Rockwell 1"X 42" sander. The "tool" had in mind is a 6/32 nut welded to a bolt or some rod.

Use a thick nut and grind it down to the perfect length for Decora on tile.
Or use a thinner nut and a standard washer stack. If you can fully tighten the screw you will be able to grind or sand or file it better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
While cutting the screw is one solution, it does not resolve the same problem upon replacement. Yes, you could say use the same screws... but there's the possibility the replacement screws are a different color.

So who is doing the replacing? If we're having this many posts on how to cut the dang screws, I'd say that cutting the screws is not the proper fix... :happyno:

I can't believe this thread is still going, i've been in the trade for a long time, never had a real issue with this, most i've encountered was just cutting the plate screws? not really a big deal.

Agreed. For those who havent tried it, cut the screws with pliers that have the machine screw cutters (the picture posted look like this type). You thread it in, shear it off and the threads are cleaned up as you unscrew it. My strippers have this feature. Absolutely works perfect no problem at all. OR you could take the screws to a machine shop and have them use an EDM to cut them off and then take them to an auto body shop to have them repainted. I would order a bunch of different sizes in .005 increments just to be safe.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... OR you could take the screws to a machine shop and have them use an EDM to cut them off and then take them to an auto body shop to have them repainted. I would order a bunch of different sizes in .005 increments just to be safe.
:rotflmao:
Now why didn't I think of that. :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.