Definition of Device - 2008 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

To make my point, a queestion:

When you "install them every day," is it your opinion that you install an outlet that receives a receptacle, or that you install a box that receives an outlet?

Or should we agree that the assembly of box and receptacle comprise the outlet?

I maintain that the outlet and the device are (usually) two separate items that we sometimes combine.

Well, the receptacle is the contact device at the outlet a box is not always required there are listed devices that do not require a box.. and , though I recognize it would be a violation , a standard run of the mill receptacle will provide a contact point at the outlet without the box. so a box has little to do with the outlet IMO.

I say a receptacle mounted in an outlet makes that outlet a receptacle outlet. The receptacle itself isn't the outlet, the box is. .

cschmid

manufactured / mobile home receptacle

I just found this today. I have never seen anything like this before. This is flush, not surface mount. The cover has no screws it just pops on.

View attachment 4006 View attachment 4007 View attachment 4008

This is a speed coupling device used to attach electrical utilization equipment..

my my we used to call this an outlet and a light switch a light switch..now we are catering to lawyers and the political correct. So how will we ever come to an agreement on what an outlet is. A receptacle is a device made to manage the portable or fixed in place electrical equipment attached to it. so does that make a disconnect attached to a piece of electrical equipment a device or a receptacle since it is the connection point to the permanent installed wiring system.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, the receptacle is the contact device at the outlet a box is not always required there are listed devices that do not require a box.. and , though I recognize it would be a violation , a standard run of the mill receptacle will provide a contact point at the outlet without the box. so a box has little to do with the outlet IMO.
I guess what I'm saying (or not) is that an outlet is not necessarily a specific object, it's more of a location.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I guess what I'm saying (or not) is that an outlet is not necessarily a specific object, it's more of a location.
I agree with the direction of your statement. But I think the definition of Outlet helps very specifically with the nature of the "location".

A "point" is not an area or a volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.