Design input - Revised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyone able to help as to whether a 45lva 3P xfrmr would provide enough power for the 3 trailer panels? I was about to post a pic of one of the trailer panel schedules....the 125A panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The problemis without an exact load there is no definite. Based on panel sizes, no; but based on comments you made and logical experience form some here, the 45 should be enough, I feel the 45 will more than likely work and from posts here and in your earlier thread it appears infinity and Tulsaelectrican agree. If you want 100% assurance you would need to go with the 75 but if cost is a concern I would go with the 45 especially since it's a "temporary" set up and the loads are not likely to increase over time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone able to help as to whether a 45lva 3P xfrmr would provide enough power for the 3 trailer panels? I was about to post a pic of one of the trailer panel schedules....the 125A panel.
The amount of load is unknown so lets say that your 3 panels with 60, 60, and 125 amp mains each use 80% of their rating. Convert that to 1Ø VA for each panel and figure out the maximum transformer load on any one phase. If it's greater than 45 kva then you'll need a 75 kva transformer.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The problemis without an exact load there is no definite. Based on panel sizes, no; but based on comments you made and logical experience form some here, the 45 should be enough, I feel the 45 will more than likely work and from posts here and in your earlier thread it appears infinity and Tulsaelectrican agree. If you want 100% assurance you would need to go with the 75 but if cost is a concern I would go with the 45 especially since it's a "temporary" set up and the loads are not likely to increase over time.
Thank you.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The amount of load is unknown so lets say that your 3 panels with 60, 60, and 125 amp mains each use 80% of their rating. Convert that to 1Ø VA for each panel and figure out the maximum transformer load on any one phase. If it's greater than 45 kva then you'll need a 75 kva transformer.
Thank you. What would the line to line voltage be 120 or 208v? Trying to do the calc.
Once I get the VA then how exactly do I apply that to figure max load on any one phase of xfrmr? Thanks

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you. What would the line to line voltage be 120 or 208v? Trying to do the calc.
Once I get the VA then how exactly do I apply that to figure max load on any one phase of xfrmr? Thanks
For this base calc use single phase line to line for each single phase panel.

Example: 125 amp main breaker panel.
125 x .80. = x amps
X amps x line to line (208 v )= x VA
x VA/ 1000 = x KVA.
For this panel using 80% of the main rating method.

Now assign linea to this single phase load.

Example 125 amp panel on lines A and B.

The KVA on line ( phase A) would be x KVA and then the same for Line ( phase B) . Your line to line is 208 volt.

Now do the same for the other two.
Then you simple add up all on each line ( phase) in Descending order.

This would be the KVA for each Line or phase.
Do this first before doing any thing else.

This would be step one the way you working the issue.

Once you post those we move forward if you want to learn how to do from a field perspective.
At this point you can either say move forward for the 45 or step up to a 75.

This is a key step so the one line and panel sch lay out has all information for the field installer to follow. If not you can easily overload the transformer. A simple pic can be used as a inspection tool to sign off on task. Load checks on start up can identify any issue which we will get into later based on your panle pic.

So if you want an easy answer add all panel mains up single phase and size the trans to that . Then no one line will be over loaded. Max KVA on one line and round up on transformer size.
At the end of the day it's your choice. Your name is on it.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
For this base calc use single phase line to line for each single phase panel.

Example: 125 amp main breaker panel.
125 x .80. = x amps
X amps x line to line (208 v )= x VA
x VA/ 1000 = x KVA.
For this panel using 80% of the main rating method.

Now assign linea to this single phase load.

Example 125 amp panel on lines A and B.

The KVA on line ( phase A) would be x KVA and then the same for Line ( phase B) . Your line to line is 208 volt.

Now do the same for the other two.
Then you simple add up all on each line ( phase) in Descending order.

This would be the KVA for each Line or phase.
Do this first before doing any thing else.

This would be step one the way you working the issue.

Once you post those we move forward if you want to learn how to do from a field perspective.
At this point you can either say move forward for the 45 or step up to a 75.

This is a key step so the one line and panel sch lay out has all information for the field installer to follow. If not you can easily overload the transformer. A simple pic can be used as a inspection tool to sign off on task. Load checks on start up can identify any issue which we will get into later based on your panle pic.

So if you want an easy answer add all panel mains up single phase and size the trans to that . Then no one line will be over loaded. Max KVA on one line and round up on transformer size.
At the end of the day it's your choice. Your name is on it.
for the 125A panel I come up with 20.8 kva and each of the 60A panels I come up with 9.98 kva.
So the sum of these is 40.76.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
That is what I come up with as well based on all line to line (L-L).
Now let's look at line to netural loads (L-N).
I worked up some schedules to view as we go.

So for the 125 we have a picture of the panel schedule. The only 208v load would be the HVAC and all other are 120v (L-N) load's
What need to take place is some how with knowing exactly what the loads are.
Then we make a panel schedule with load to see what the L-N might be.

Her some common sense and assumptions need to take place. As well as review of Artical 550.

The 60 amp two pole HVAC is an easy one. If you follow the code for such units. We do not have name plate so following code 48 amp max. For an electric heat set up. 60*.80= 48 amps. 48*208= x VA/1000= x KVA. Now what Kva for line A and Line B ?
This need to be put on the connected load KVA for L-L. Then work on L-N for the rest. As you do this you will see what I see in way of load and a change in the circuitry to help balance the assumption of load. Remember this needs to fall with in the 80% of the 125 amp main if you can and no more than 100% of the 125 amp main L-N. If you don't than one L-N will be high.

Again a field perspective based on past experiences.
If your wondering why the space between breaker. I like to space them so the heat from has less effect on the next.
I also stack them to reduce load on the interior buss per line. At site I would move the first 60 across. For sheet I stacked them to make it easier to follow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-230638.png
    Screenshot_20221203-230638.png
    560.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221203-232027.png
    Screenshot_20221203-232027.png
    504 KB · Views: 5

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

So for the 125 we have a picture of the panel schedule. The only 208v load would be the HVAC and all other are 120v (L-N) load's

Her some common sense and assumptions need to take place. As well as review of Artical 550.

The 60 amp two pole HVAC is an easy one. If you follow the code for such units. We do not have name plate so following code 48 amp max. For an electric heat set up. 60*.80= 48 amps. 48*208= x VA/1000= x KVA. Now what Kva for line A and Line B ?
This need to be put on the connected load KVA for L-L. Then work on L-N for the rest. As you do this you will see what I see in way of load and a change in the circuitry to help balance the assumption of load. Remember this needs to fall with in the 80% of the 125 amp main if you can and no more than 100% of the 125 amp main L-N. If you don't than one L-N will be high.

If your wondering why the space between breaker. I like to space them so the heat from has less effect on the next.
I also stack them to reduce load on the interior buss per line. At site I would move the first 60 across. For sheet I stacked them to make it easier to follow.
Your one smart guy. I sincerely thank you. I have to buy this out tomorrow. It seems highly likely, to me, that a 45kvs xfrmr will work. Even if I had a 150A main instead of the 125A it seems it would fall right under the 45kva.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator

How does one determine L to L loads vs. L to N loads?

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
You have done the math if all loads are line to line or 208 volt only loads.
In this case you a combination of 120 volt L-N and 208 L-L.
For each panel you will need to do a KVA assessment at 120 volts for each Line. Any connected load that is Line 1 to netural goes in one column and then the same for Line 2 in the panel or your panel schedule.

Then add up descending to get a total for that line. This KVA is at 120v.
This KVA can not or should not be greater than the OCPD rating.
What this will do is also determine if any load should be relocated to help balance the line to line KVA.
For now leave out any demand factors we can discuss later and will as it relates to the application.
Once that is all done we can move on.
I have already done so with panel schedules so we will see how it compares.

This will help you make a final decision. Slow going however worth it in the end.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You have done the math if all loads are line to line or 208 volt only loads.
In this case you a combination of 120 volt L-N and 208 L-L.
For each panel you will need to do a KVA assessment at 120 volts for each Line. Any connected load that is Line 1 to netural goes in one column and then the same for Line 2 in the panel or your panel schedule.

Then add up descending to get a total for that line. This KVA is at 120v.
This KVA can not or should not be greater than the OCPD rating.
What this will do is also determine if any load should be relocated to help balance the line to line KVA.
For now leave out any demand factors we can discuss later and will as it relates to the application.
Once that is all done we can move on.
I have already done so with panel schedules so we will see how it compares.

This will help you make a final decision. Slow going however worth it in the end.
Thank you very much. I'm under the gun here with so many things. I think I'll be ok with the 45kva. If you have any thoughts about my opinion let me know.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
As you do this pay attention to the branch circuit OCPD's (15/ 20 amp breakers).
An example would be the KVA load for line 1 lite/ fan. 15 amp breaker, 1.4 kva L-N.
15*.80=12 continues load lighting.
12*120= 1440 VA
1440/1000= 1.44
So I would use 1.4 KVA for this L-N.
In reality this would be. A lot less more like 50 % depending what you see when your there or do a load check, field work. Got a good field foreman.

Now you can do the rest and see how it comes out.

Use common sense on all others. You would not always need to use 80% of the branch

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok a little potential change.

Say I wanted to eliminate the 225A panel( with the 125A, and (2) 60A branch breakers) and use (3) disconnect switches instead could I doo that.
I'd think so but then how would I feed (3) disconnects from a transformer. Run one feed from transformer to a trough, splice, then feed the discos?

Would the disconnects have to be fused? Also 2P3W disconnects?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.