Diagonal Conduit / Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I have always gotten a slight case of the red a$$ whenever I heard someone say "It's doesn't matter if it's in a ceiling", "Can't see it from my house", or "Close enough for government work".:mad::mad::mad:

I suggest some lotion for that rash and learn to worry about true safety issues. :)

cycotcskir

Yeah, I know. I am just a perfectionist.

I don't expect everyone to be a perfectionist, but at least take some pride in what you do.

iwire

Staff member

I don't expect everyone to be a perfectionist, but at least take some pride in what you do.

Pride is one thing, steadfastly going with only one method without an open mind is another. :)

Sometimes it make good sense to go diagonally.

cycotcskir

Well, there are always... almost always:) exceptions to the rules. That is not what I'm referring to at all.

I'm talking about unbending 90's to lengthen the conduit an inch or 2, cheating several couplings to gain some length, running angles when there is no good reason to do so... other than their laziness, laying conduit on a duct and calling it supported...........

Of course I could go on, but I have a feeling you knew what I was referring to from the beginning:cool:

MarkyMarkNC

If it's above a ceiling nobody is ever going to see it except tradesmen working up there, so who cares? :-?

There is a good case to be made for runs as the crow flies assuming specs allow it - shorter circuits means less wire length which means less voltage drop. So it may be visually unappealing but it's a better installation functionally speaking.

Those are ridiculous reasons. The most important factor that should be considered in a conduit or wire run is how much it will impress other electricians! :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You're not the only one. I don't even like mixing wirenut types in a box, and I don't like twists in NM. :cool:

I take pride in running big conduit diagonally if it means using two elbows instead of three or four, and/or having to add a pull-box.

cycotcskir

You're not the only one. I don't even like mixing wirenut types in a box, and I don't like twists in NM. :cool:

I thought I was the only one

I take pride in running big conduit diagonally if it means using two elbows instead of three or four, and/or having to add a pull-box.

There is a time and a place for everything. There are also some odd building shapes and intersections out there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought I was the only one
Believe me, you're not. I often hear "Leave it alone! It's good enough!" from PJ. :cool: Somehow, the thought that my work will be hidden forever behind a wall going up in a week doesn't enter my consciousness.

There is a time and a place for everything. There are also some odd building shapes and intersections out there.
True, and there's a big difference between a new, multi-run industrial installation and adding a single conduit above a suspended ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.