Diesel versus Gasoline Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

Energy-Miser said:
Thanks. I was thinking of buying some tools from them, does anyone recommend them, based on the brands they carry? e/m.

I've browsed through one of their stores. I won't say that I wouldn't buy anything, but I wouldn't expect quality stuff.

"You get what you pay for"

Energy-Miser

JohnJ0906 said:
I've browsed through one of their stores. I won't say that I wouldn't buy anything, but I wouldn't expect quality stuff.

"You get what you pay for"
The only thing I bought from them was a pallett jack.

Energy-Miser

SmithBuilt said:
I think both GM and Ford both have some type of auxiliary heater on them for use in the mornings. For instant heat.
Is problem with cold startup common to all makes and models, or some are better than others? In another post someone said that they have to plug in over night, in the winter to help with starting the engine in the morning. Of course they were from somewhere near the north pole, if I remember right!! e/m.

Diesel all the way!

Diesel all the way!

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, CTD, Longbed 4x4 with anti-slip.
No chip... Automatic transmission.
218K miles

Heavy Duty Topper with ladders sticking out on top.
2000lb - 2500lb load in bed and topper daily.

I live in Colorado Springs, and temperatures are getting down to 20s in the AM. I let the engine fuel pre heater do the work, start it up after about 30 seconds on accessory, and let it run for about a minute before I leave. (218k miles... ok!)

I get 13.5 MPG in town. (Lots of long lights = lots of accelerating and decelerating)
On the highway, I get 17 MPG at 75 MPH without the ladders... lots of wind resistance
On the highway, I get 15-16 MPG at 75 MPH with ladders.
At 55-65, I get over 20MPG. Even with ladders.

Diesel Fuel: $3.35 - $3.49
Gasoline: $2.85 - $2.97

At this point, I'd need another gasoline engine... while the CTD has another 200k - 400k left in it.

The Sprinters are nice too... lots of power, great mileage, and the van even looks decent.

cschmid

Energy-Miser said:
Are you guys the ones with all the ice and snow right now? Did the water pump freeze up?

Ice and Snow right now..yeppers that is us..went fishing yesterday the lakes already have 6 to 8 inches of ice..we got between 10 and 12 inch's of snow here..been below zero here five times here already..no the water pump on my 350 Chevy went out nope did not freeze up just wore out..plug diesel in and it starts easier and warms faster..

SmithBuilt

Energy-Miser said:
Is problem with cold startup common to all makes and models, or some are better than others? In another post someone said that they have to plug in over night, in the winter to help with starting the engine in the morning. Of course they were from somewhere near the north pole, if I remember right!! e/m.

Only a problem on the older models. I was referring to the new models concerning the auxiliary heaters.

I have had ford diesels for about 10 years and have never plugged one up. Keep in mind I'm in NC. It might get into the single digits once a year but rarely.

On another note some one said the oil change was 5 quarts compared to 7 for the diesel. My Ford takes 13 or 14 quarts. So oil changes are quite a bit more expensive.

Energy-Miser

Greg Swartz said:
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, CTD, Longbed 4x4 with anti-slip.
No chip... Automatic transmission.
218K miles

Heavy Duty Topper with ladders sticking out on top.
2000lb - 2500lb load in bed and topper daily.

I live in Colorado Springs, and temperatures are getting down to 20s in the AM. I let the engine fuel pre heater do the work, start it up after about 30 seconds on accessory, and let it run for about a minute before I leave. (218k miles... ok!)

I get 13.5 MPG in town. (Lots of long lights = lots of accelerating and decelerating)
On the highway, I get 17 MPG at 75 MPH without the ladders... lots of wind resistance
On the highway, I get 15-16 MPG at 75 MPH with ladders.
At 55-65, I get over 20MPG. Even with ladders.

Diesel Fuel: $3.35 - $3.49
Gasoline: $2.85 - $2.97

At this point, I'd need another gasoline engine... while the CTD has another 200k - 400k left in it.

The Sprinters are nice too... lots of power, great mileage, and the van even looks decent.
Thanks for the info. You keep good stats, I like that. I am all for data collection. e/m.

Energy-Miser

cschmid said:
Ice and Snow right now..yeppers that is us..went fishing yesterday the lakes already have 6 to 8 inches of ice..we got between 10 and 12 inch's of snow here..been below zero here five times here already..no the water pump on my 350 Chevy went out nope did not freeze up just wore out..plug diesel in and it starts easier and warms faster..
Well stay warm. It's still tolerable out here, heck we can still trench if we need to. Another month before deep freeze shows up. Peace, e/m.

Energy-Miser

SmithBuilt said:
Only a problem on the older models. I was referring to the new models concerning the auxiliary heaters.

I have had ford diesels for about 10 years and have never plugged one up. Keep in mind I'm in NC. It might get into the single digits once a year but rarely.

On another note some one said the oil change was 5 quarts compared to 7 for the diesel. My Ford takes 13 or 14 quarts. So oil changes are quite a bit more expensive.
They need more frequent oil changes, or your reagular 3 to 4k miles?

SmithBuilt

Energy-Miser said:
They need more frequent oil changes, or your regular 3 to 4k miles?

I think the owners manual says 7500. I'm a firm believer in following the manual. IMO it cost too much for the very little you gain to change at 3k. After all it's only a 6 liter engine using over 3 gallons of oil.

Energy-Miser

SmithBuilt said:
I think the owners manual says 7500. I'm a firm believer in following the manual. IMO it cost too much for the very little you gain to change at 3k. After all it's only a 6 liter engine using over 3 gallons of oil.
If the manual says every 7500 miles, I am all for it, it costs almost half as much. e/m

cschmid

SmithBuilt said:

3 Gallons of Oil what type of diesel do you have..My 6.2 only uses 7 quarts..

cschmid

it is a 1989 Chevy 6.2 so I had allot of miles on it..I would of drove it for couple more yrs but boss did not like rust..I like the truck it was dependable..Never left me stranded anywhere even when I blew out the trany hauling a bobcat backhoe with it..got me back to the shop and Trany was 1200 to rebuild..I really liked that truck for dependability..they called the 6.5 when they turbo charged the 6.2...

i run mixed bag of P/U and MD trucks in my fleet the pu's i have pretty well detailed records here

ATM the 89 Ford PU have over 680,000 miles [ still on oringal engine not even pull the head off ]

replaced water pump at every 140,000 miles [ dont ask me why i do that but i beat this before the water pump fail on me ditto with gas verison you will see why there.]

rebuild injector pump at 370,000 miles the governor spring took a dump on me and almost have runaway engine on this one.

replace glow plugs every 2-3 years even i did replace some of them but few stillworking that time but it wise to replace as set because one of them will fail later [ will cause rough start or hard start if one or two glow plugs burn out ]

replace battery once

replace the alternator at 270,000 miles then again at 615,000 miles

this truck did rack up alot of idle time as well the hour meter show 14,783 hours ATM [ i installed the hour meter when i got the truck new so i know how much time it rack up ]

for the fuel useage

on the road with my normal load typically 16 MPG range [ this truck weight in about 12 KLBS]
town about 14 MPG

idleing time - slow idle .35 GPH
fast idle .45 GPH

run on PTO anywhere from .70 to 2.5 GPH depending on load on PTO genny.

for Med duty truck i will post the spec later if you want to i have to get some paper line up and type some info here.

someone did mention aux heater yeah i have one on both PU and med duty truck

http://www.webasto.us/press/en/am_trucks_heaters_833.html

this heater i used on Med duty truck and i used on the PU as well on cold morings and some area where i cant leave the engine idling at all and now i have to use the aux heater more often due some city are very strict with anti-ilding laws now.

yeah in cold weather the diesel engine run much cooler than gas engine it will take little longer than gas verison.

for oil change on the PU i change every 4500 miles or 150 running hours depending which one will hit first

that typically take 12 oil ave.

for med duty truck that oil change is every 12k miles or 250 hours but that take 28 qt oil [ internation DT466 series engine ]

if want more info or question just ask us here

Merci , Marc

frb

Energy-Miser said:
What does anyone think about choice of diesel for your trucks? I know diesel engines are more efficient (around 35% vs 25% for gas engines?), and fairly clean burning these days. But how about the price, or any other considerations? Look forward to hearing about your experience / opinion on this. e/m.

Have owned diesel trucks and cars for the last eighteen years, as well as generators and tractors. Would not own a gas engine as lomg as diesels are available.
Longer engine life, no spark plugs or wires, higher torque, higher towing capacity, less maintanance [ as a rule ] and greator fule mileage.
If you plan to keep the truck >100,000 you will make up the difference in price. Also think bio-diesel for fuel, if it's available in your area. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.