Disconnecting Means in Main Lug panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a sub panel in a detached garage. I have a 4 space main lug load center. Obviously this is no good because I need a disconnecting means. Can I install a breaker and run my feeders to the breaker and leave the lugs unoccupied and install a hold-down on the breaker? This is getting inspected so I need to make sure it’s right before the inspection.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Larry stated you can apply the 6 disconnect rule and eliminate the main. If you install a 2 pole main that only leaves 2 circuit slots in the 4 space panel. Not the best design IMO.
Wait a min.... you're running feeders from a main panel to a sub panel? As long as you are protecting the feeders with a 100A breaker (or whatever size you choose)in the main panel, you don't need a "main" breaker in the sub panel. I'm assuming that the panel is not leaving your building (house?)
He said that it's a detached garage.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
As Larry stated you can apply the 6 disconnect rule and eliminate the main. If you install a 2 pole main that only leaves 2 circuit slots in the 4 space panel. Not the best design IMO.

He said that it's a detached garage.
Yeah... after reading the replies i missed that part.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok so then I’m ok to put a main lug panel but just run the feeders to a breaker and install a hold down and not use the main lugs?
As long as the main lugs are suitable for the feeder conductor size I see no need for a main when you have only a 4 circuit panel. Don't forget the grounding electrode system. :)

I’m just looking at the code that states a detached building needs a local disconnect means. But ok thank you. And yes I’ve already got ground rods driven at the garage as well as at the service entrance. Thanks for all the help!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I’m just looking at the code that states a detached building needs a local disconnect means. But ok thank you. And yes I’ve already got ground rods driven at the garage as well as at the service entrance. Thanks for all the help!
Yes, but you can have up to 6 disconnecting means so with a 4 circuit panel you do not need a single main.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Interesting ok can you direct me to that in the code so I can look at it and understand it for myself?
225.33 Maximum Number of Disconnects.
(A) General. The disconnecting means for each supply permitted by 225.30 shall consist of not more than six switches or six circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard or switchgear. There shall be no more than six disconnects per
supply grouped in any one location.

Status
Not open for further replies.