Disconnecting Means in Main Lug panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
225.33 is still the same in the 2020. 6 breakers in a MLO panel are fine.
You are correct, I was thinking I had heard it was changed to be inline with 230.71

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
You are correct, I was thinking I had heard it was changed to be inline with 230.71

Roger
I see no good reason for that. With services you often have no readily available way to kill the supply conductors and will need to involve the utility if you want to kill the supply.

With a separate building supplied by a feeder you do have ability to shut the feeder off. Still makes sense to have no more than six mains at the building though.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I see no good reason for that. With services you often have no readily available way to kill the supply conductors and will need to involve the utility if you want to kill the supply.

With a separate building supplied by a feeder you do have ability to shut the feeder off. Still makes sense to have no more than six mains at the building though.
You've never worked on a large university campus have you?
I din't say it was a good idea, I said I thought I had heard it had changed, I'm trying not to invest in a 2020 code book

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
You've never worked on a large university campus have you?
I din't say it was a good idea, I said I thought I had heard it had changed, I'm trying not to invest in a 2020 code book

Roger
I was saying I hope they don't change it because I don't think it is a good idea. But won't be surprised if they eventually do change it. They like to change a lot of things that should be design decisions.

Nothing wrong with installing a single main if you so choose just like it has always been. You still have more control of the incoming feeder than you generally have when incoming is service conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.