dishwasher wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

Dumb question I guess, but as long as I come off of the "load" side of a GFCI outlet under the sink, can I "direct" wire the dishwasher?
Will the reset serve as a disconnect for it or will I need a cord and plug attached to the dishwasher to provide an acceptable disconnect for it?
I'm going to be setting an outlet that will be "switched" for a garbage disposal also under the sink, but the dishwasher will be "hot" controlled by the switch on the dishwasher. I know we used to provide a switch up above the counter for a disconnect years ago before it was required to be GFI protected.
Thanks

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Dumb question I guess, but as long as I come off of the "load" side of a GFCI outlet under the sink, can I "direct" wire the dishwasher?
Will the reset serve as a disconnect for it or will I need a cord and plug attached to the dishwasher to provide an acceptable disconnect for it?
I'm going to be setting an outlet that will be "switched" for a garbage disposal also under the sink, but the dishwasher will be "hot" controlled by the switch on the dishwasher. I know we used to provide a switch up above the counter for a disconnect years ago before it was required to be GFI protected.
Thanks
IMHO.. The GFCI is required to be readily accessible.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Forgive me if I’ve gotten this wrong, but……

The test button is not an approved
disconnect.

How are you going to wire the receptacle to be switched, but keep the DW live, on the line side of the GFCI?

How did you plan to hardwire into a receptacle box, that has a recep in it, and comply with attachment requirements?

If I’m understanding you correctly, no, this ain’t gonna fly. 🤣

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need two things GFCI protection and a disconnecting means. The device under the sink will qualify as the GFCI protection but not as the disconnect unless it has a separate switch with a marked ON/OFF.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks

You don't need gfci on a dishwasher in NC

You can use a breaker lock at the panel as the disconnect.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So here under a kitchen sink has been defined as readily accessible. I have done this in 2 instances where the dishwasher was around the corner of where the sink cabinet is. A receptacle behind the dishwasher that is on the load side of the gfi under the sink then have a cord on the dishwasher to satisfy the disconnect. The other option Is a breaker lock which isn't that expensive honestly. I've never understood why people shy away from that way of doing a disconnect so often.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You need two things GFCI protection and a disconnecting means. The device under the sink will qualify as the GFCI protection but not as the disconnect unless it has a separate switch with a marked ON/OFF.

As I recall, some GFCI devices (perhaps only blank face ones) have the buttons marked ON and OFF rather than RESET and TEST. If marked ON and OFF then the GFCI device is considered a switch and qualifies as a disconnecting means.

See for example https://www.leviton.com/en/products/gfrbf-w

Jon

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
As I recall, some GFCI devices (perhaps only blank face ones) have the buttons marked ON and OFF rather than RESET and TEST. If marked ON and OFF then the GFCI device is considered a switch and qualifies as a disconnecting means.

Jon
True but I have a question as to use as a "disconnect" for safety reasons. Is there a LOTO available for this type of switch?

kwired

Electron manager

Jon
But can you open the contacts when there is no supply side voltage? Can it fail in a manner that won't allow it to open the contacts?

Maybe still allowed but those are not typical problems you might have with the more recognized disconnect methods.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Jon
The blank face devices with marked on/off button are suitable for use as a controller. They are not suitable for a disconnecting means since they require power to function.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A disconnect is only needed if the unit switch doesn't disconnect the power. Does anyone know why a unit switch would not disconnect all the power? I found a diagram but I can't read these schematics very well. It looks like it may pass power to something but what it is I don't know.

1645020804283.png

kwired

Electron manager
Don't think that's a NEC requirement, NFPA 70E and OSHA though.
NEC doesn't have any LOTO requirements. Closest thing is when they require lockable means when not "within sight" but that isn't exactly a LOTO requirement either.

Other LOTO protocols allow methods the NEC doesn't even take into consideration. For example NEC considers cord and plug to be a disconnection method, but doesn't care if you have other requirement by other standards to put a lockable cover on the plug after disconnecting it.

So a LOTO for the GFCI in question here (presuming the GFCI complies as a disconnecting means) would be beyond the scope of NEC but still could be a requirement from some other standard. Some sort of lockable cover might be acceptable. One thing that comes to mind is some weatherproof type covers could possibly be utilized here. I know I have seen some that have lock hasp on the cover.

kwired

Electron manager
A disconnect is only needed if the unit switch doesn't disconnect the power. Does anyone know why a unit switch would not disconnect all the power? I found a diagram but I can't read these schematics very well. It looks like it may pass power to something but what it is I don't know.

View attachment 2559466
Not many (maybe even none) dishwashers have a "unit switch" AFAIK.

Most anymore have electronic controls and no true mechanical control switches. Simpler and typically older units with a mechanical time switch may have qualified though.

Status
Not open for further replies.