dishwasher wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Up close you can read on or off.
But can you? It's really very subtle. It's a question of whether the RESET button is a little proud of the face or a little recessed, and that may vary between brands for all I know. It's much more subtle than a rocker (Decora) switch. I would say it's not indicating.

I think it's all in how much or how little one reads into the definition of a disconnecting means.
No, it's not about the definition, it's clearly a disconnecting means. And perhaps in some applications, non-indicating disconnecting means are allowed. But 422.35 requires an appliance disconnect to be indicating.

Cheers, Wayne

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Up close you can read on or off. A rocker switch is hard to tell from a distance if it is up or down. Why do you think it must be so obvious. I think I will have to disagree with you on this one. IMO, the blank face gfci is indicating. "ON" and "Off" is indicating

Push button switches are the same. You push the top in and it is on, then push the bottom it is off. This is not something that will be used everyday so I don't see an issue.
The ON & OFF markings indicate which buttons to press but they don't clearly indicate if the device is currently on or off.

In my opinion a Decora type switch is not suitable for use as a disconnection means either since they are not marked on and off and don't clearly indicate if they are on or off. I can see the state of a toggle type switch from a distance.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The ON & OFF markings indicate which buttons to press but they don't clearly indicate if the device is currently on or off.

In my opinion a Decora type switch is not suitable for use as a disconnection means either since they are not marked on and off and don't clearly indicate if they are on or off. I can see the state of a toggle type switch from a distance.

Is it a requirement that you be able to see the state of a disconnect from a distance?

What if your eye sight isn't that good?

I think the within sight would be to be able to see if someone was close to a disconnect you shut off and the within 50' would be so they'd be close enough to hear you yell at them if they look like they're fixing to start dicking with it.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.