Disney's Utility System

Status
Not open for further replies.

newt

Has anyone had the opportunity to tour Disney's Utility System? I am down here on vacation from central new york. Wondering if they offer tours? Also anyone have any other site seeing ideas? Looking for good fresh seafood restaurants... maybe near daytona or local beach.

zog

Has anyone had the opportunity to tour Disney's Utility System? I am down here on vacation from central new york. Wondering if they offer tours? Also anyone have any other site seeing ideas? Looking for good fresh seafood restaurants... maybe near daytona or local beach.

I have done a ton of work for them over the years, pretty cool system. not sure about the tours. The Mickey Mouse Ears substation is cool, you can see it from I-4.

dbuckley

Florida is indeed a great place to vacation; it has far more than its fair share of the magic.

The must see though is a launch at NASA. Over the years I've attempted to time my holidays to Florida to conincide with NASA launches (I'm not in the USA so its a fairly big deal for me to get there) and it has worked out twice, one being a shuttle night launch, for which it appears the entirity of Florida turns out to see...

zog

Florida is indeed a great place to vacation; it has far more than its fair share of the magic.

The must see though is a launch at NASA. Over the years I've attempted to time my holidays to Florida to conincide with NASA launches (I'm not in the USA so its a fairly big deal for me to get there) and it has worked out twice, one being a shuttle night launch, for which it appears the entirity of Florida turns out to see...

A shuttle launch is one of those things everyone must see, truly amazing. I haev lived in FL 3 different times, Jacksonville, Sarasota, and Orlando. As much as I like it, I have decided it is made for vacations, not my favorite place to live. However I do get down there about once a month.

Mike01

wow

wow

I must say that is pretty cool, I have been to Disney many times and never noticed this, and agree to see a "one-line" of the park would be pretty interesting I guess to see a one-line or electrical drawings for any large amusement park would be pretty cool.

ohmhead

Well ive done many projects at Disney over the years but your not going to get a tour of the power plant they like to keep the background stuff inhouse .

Reedy creek takes care of the power there and florida power made that mouse ear looking tower .

Most of all maintance and workers come from underground theres a small maze of roadways and support buildings underground at the mouse .

It may look nice on vacation but if you have ever done a job at Disney i must say its not a really magical good time .

They change there minds every week its called IMAGINEERING
your drawns change weekly we do the work and then its changed not to say the pay is not good but you better keep good documents ive seen lots of contractors go broke due to Disneys Imagineering .

And while your at the mouse try and buy a pack of gum while your there ?

But it did bring us lots of work in orlando many projects more highways less orange groves and now lots of traffic jams.

They inspect there own electrical work have there own inspectors its like a city itself fire dept , police dept , building dept on property and power plant water plant they even have a landfill for there trash .

They also make ther own nec code rules up !

They are independent but we pay taxes they dont .

Lived in orlando since 1969 never went to vist Disney just worked there construction projects .

Take care have a nice vacation its nice to hear something good about Disney world.

Last edited:

ohmhead

Tom Henry was one such inspector.

Its smart business on their part.

Well actually Tom was also a electrician during the begining days of construction of Disney and then maintance for Disney back in them days then went on to start teaching code classes here in orlando .

He still has a school and a book store just north east of orlando with his brother .

I kinda thinking back to this because he could not run pipe real good.

But he can teach code real good sorry Tom.

newt

Disney

Disney

We ate at JB's Fishcamp -- had an excellent time! Very nice people with great food. Thanks for the advice. I can see that Disney is not the "typical" job site.

Article 90.1

We used to go to Lone Cabbage Fish Camp in Cocoa every year. We always took an airboat ride, fed the gators, then ate a frogs legs, catfish, and gator with hush puppies. Dad always bought the airboat pilot a few bud cans when we got back to the dock-he always remembered us!

Status
Not open for further replies.