do you know a source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard A

I am a power limited I(low voltage CE instructor) Lots of questions lately about working in the area around class A electricians and when should we be concerned about Arc Flash. As this is an industry concern from Osha and just plain safety does anyone have a good source for information or any information on how low a voltage/power before it is NOT a concern. any help here is much appreciated.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am a power limited I(low voltage CE instructor) Lots of questions lately about working in the area around class A electricians and when should we be concerned about Arc Flash. As this is an industry concern from Osha and just plain safety does anyone have a good source for information or any information on how low a voltage/power before it is NOT a concern. any help here is much appreciated.

The answer is to stay outside of the arc flash boundary. no different than everyone else. the same rule applies to plumbers and painters too.

Richard A

Thank you Thumper that reference is exactly what I needed. Other information is helpful but to teach I need a printed source. RJ

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
70E 2012

70E 2012

... actually NFPA 70E 2012 edition removed that lower limit. And as the article points out, the 2009 70E only said that an analysis doesn't need to be performed, not that it was HRC 0.

But for now that lower limit has been removed.

You can use the tables in 70E for specific tasks 130.7/(C)(15)a for determination of the HRC if a label is not present on the equipment.

John M

zog

Are you asking when is arc flash analysis not required for certain systems? I think it is 240V systems off a transformer of 112.5KV or less.

http://www.ecmag.com/?fa=article&articleID=11917

That does not mean arc flash is not a concern, that is a point where a detailed arc flash analysis is not required (And it was removed from the 2012 version)you still have an arc flash hazard. PPE requirements, and EEWP's.

Edit: Dammit John, you beat me to it :)

jumper

That does not mean arc flash is not a concern, that is a point where a detailed arc flash analysis is not required (And it was removed from the 2012 version)you still have an arc flash hazard. PPE requirements, and EEWP's.

Edit: Dammit John, you beat me to it :)

I thought that was what I said, did not know it was removed in 2012, I did not mean to imply that a hazard did not exist at that level-only that an analysis was not required at that level before the 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.