Does a ceiling fan lower a room's temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dennis Alwon said:
cal1947 said:
actually the fan should blow up in the summer and down in the winter,cool air falls ,warm air raises
I agree that's what the manufacturers recommend . . .
I've never seen that recommended. I always see down in summer and up in winter, and that's what I recommend to people.

"They're reversible? How?"

And no, fans don't cool a room, but they do destratify. That's the purpose of blowing up in winter. Otherwise, why have it on?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
This is how I have always heard it, and how I run mine.

air_flow_summer.gif

Summer

air_flow_winter.gif

Winter

Buck Parrish

I just installed some fans in a bar. Their on one down rod but have two individual fans. You can point one up and one down.. Problem solved.

My house has the HVAC returns in the cieling above the fans.
That makes a difference.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
buckofdurham said:
I just installed some fans in a bar. Their on one down rod but have two individual fans. You can point one up and one down.
Won't they end up with mini-climate zones and little tornados? :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
LarryFine said:
Won't they end up with mini-climate zones and little tornados? :)

Absolutely, this is a well known fact in the fan discussion world.

Roger

wallyworld

iwire said:
This is how I have always heard it, and how I run mine.

air_flow_summer.gif

Summer

air_flow_winter.gif

Winter
Some fan manufacturers will say reversing the fan so that it blows into the ceiling will do nothing. The air hits the ceiling and a large portion of the air stops.

iwire

Staff member
wallyworld said:
Some fan manufacturers will say reversing the fan so that it blows into the ceiling will do nothing. The air hits the ceiling and a large portion of the air stops.

I imagine different rooms behave differently but I know the ceiling hugging fan in my living room moves a lot of air in either direction. :)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
wallyworld said:
I imagine different rooms behave differently but I know the ceiling hugging fan in my living room moves a lot of air in either direction. :)
The farther a fan is from the ceiling, the greater the air movement*, true enough, but there's no way the air just stops.

Got a smoke generator, Wally? You could do some experimenting.

* With the usual all-other-things-being-equal disclaimer.

iwire

Staff member
Basically the ceiling presents the same restriction in either direction. :smile:

The fan can't push air down if air is not making it into the blades.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
Basically the ceiling presents the same restriction in either direction. :smile:

The fan can't push air down if air is not making it into the blades.
Correctamundo!
icon14.gif

jeremysterling

I got a call the other day to install two customer supplied wall-mount shop fans in an automotive repair shop. I asked the mechanics where they wanted the fans mounted and they told me to mount them where they would blow hot air in the winter and cool air in the summer. They were serious. I told them, given the layout of their shop, I could guarantee the fans would blow hot air in the summer and cold air in the winter.

220/221

In a closed room with no heating or cooling does the fan lower the room temperature?

I didn't read the replies so I am sure it's been said.

No.

It evaporates the moisture on your skin making it feel cooler.

Technicaly it would raise the temp due to the motor heat.

Last edited:

steelersman

LarryFine said:
I've never seen that recommended. I always see down in summer and up in winter, and that's what I recommend to people.

"They're reversible? How?"

And no, fans don't cool a room, but they do destratify. That's the purpose of blowing up in winter. Otherwise, why have it on?
you are correct. don't know how the others came to think the other way around

zog

This is the fan we have in our shop, we have the 24 foot version, BAF claims the wind chill effect lowers the temp 4-16 degrees, depending on speed. Lots of info on fans effect on temperature on this site.

http://www.bigassfans.com/

When we crank this baby up to 7 (It goes to 10) locker doors slam shut, papers fly all over, wheeled tables move around, but it sure cools the shop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.