Does a metal tin ceiling have to be bonded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I appreciate you finding this code to discuss.

Reading this, it seems to me the EGC to the fixture would provide the path to ground in case of a fault. My interpretation would be that this ceiling isn’t likely to become energized by something other than the fixtures, which again, are grounded.

Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember Mike a while back saying that without a bond there was absolutely no way something could become energized, but by running a copper wire and connecting it to anything metal you now risk the possibilty of energizing that metal.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Personally I feel that 'likely to become energized' applies if there are fixtures mounted on or near the ceiling or cables run on or near the ceiling (being vague with the 'near').

NM cable run tucked to the metal is at risk from panel edges or fasteners, for example, and such a panel should be bonded IMHO.

But if there is nothing to energize the panel, then why bond?

Jon

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I remember Mike a while back saying that without a bond there was absolutely no way something could become energized, but by running a copper wire and connecting it to anything metal you now risk the possibilty of energizing that metal.
I can see the guy going up to patch the roof with his aluminum ladder getting zapped by voltage that wouldn't have been there if it wasn't bonded.
I think the reasoning for "if likely to become energized" criteria is that there would be a circuit associated that would trip if a fault to the metallic material was to occur rather than just random NEV.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Personally I feel that 'likely to become energized' applies if there are fixtures mounted on or near the ceiling or cables run on or near the ceiling (being vague with the 'near').

NM cable run tucked to the metal is at risk from panel edges or fasteners, for example, and such a panel should be bonded IMHO.

But if there is nothing to energize the panel, then why bond?

Jon
It seems to me I recall a code requirement that prohibits the electrical within x# of inches of a metal roof structure. That would if complied with limit the chance of incidentally energizing the roof panels.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I can see the guy going up to patch the roof with his aluminum ladder getting zapped by voltage that wouldn't have been there if it wasn't bonded.
I think the reasoning for "if likely to become energized" criteria is that there would be a circuit associated that would trip if a fault to the metallic material was to occur rather than just random NEV.

Agree, it almost seems (IMO) like this is one of risk vs benefit. 120 volts is worse than 3 volts, but ultimately 0 volts is better than 3 volts.

Check the local building code . In Ohio the OBC has a requirement in the electrical section to bond metal veneer on structures.
Here in NY, NYSERDA which approves and provides PV incentives requires metal roofing to be bonded. They are not the AHJ, and the inspectors don't require it, but NYSERDA can withhold your $$$$. ( I think it is silly).

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Id say if you have a proper EGC installed and attached to the light fixtures that are mounting on the metal sheets where the outlet boxes are, the circuit should trip if there's any short to ground, so, the sheets will not be energized in case of a fault.

The sheets that don't have any electrical installed on them aren't likely to become energized and I don't see the need for those to be bonded.

If you do crappy work, and , don't install a sufficient EGC to the outlet boxes where the fixtures will be mounted to the tin, then, I'd say if a short occurred in the fixtures, the tin would likely become energized to a hazardous degree, and, You'd better get to bonding.

JAP>

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Here in NY, NYSERDA which approves and provides PV incentives requires metal roofing to be bonded. They are not the AHJ, and the inspectors don't require it, but NYSERDA can withhold your $$$$. ( I think it is silly).
I've spoken to a couple of installers who are finding themselves stuck between the code and NYSERDA. If they install per code as you say they call it and withhold the funding, if they install per NYSERDA it's a code violation.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I've spoken to a couple of installers who are finding themselves stuck between the code and NYSERDA. If they install per code as you say they call it and withhold the funding, if they install per NYSERDA it's a code violation.

What is the code violation to bonding metal roofing? While I agree that it isn't required in most situations, I don't see doing so as prohibited.

-Jon

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Let's say we're dealing with a large metal roof and siding installed on wooden studs and rafters.

What would an electrician's procedure be to bond each and every sheet of metal on this wood framed structure ?

To me it would have to be a roof installers responsibility to assure bonding of the complete structure seeing as how it's going to depend on the installation practices and fasteners being used while the sheet metal is being installed.

JAP>

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What is the code violation to bonding metal roofing? While I agree that it isn't required in most situations, I don't see doing so as prohibited.

-Jon
Not referencing the roof as that issue but other points NYSERDA inspector is calling.
But AFA the roof, there is one NYSERDA inspector I've been told has been demanding bonding on every single metal roof sheet and each ridge cap section. Ignoring that the tracking connections are using the self bonding hold down that bolts them to the roof.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I’m working on a cook shed for a friend; the ceiling is tin with recessed lighting.

He told me today the inspector had mentioned something about bonding the tin.

Is there an NEC requirement for this?

1c623987d54b10dd3d5647f1b4104e41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m working on a cook shed for a friend; the ceiling is tin with recessed lighting.

He told me today the inspector had mentioned something about bonding the tin.

Is there an NEC requirement for this?

1c623987d54b10dd3d5647f1b4104e41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barring any local amendments, there are no code requirements to bond a tin roof. JMHO and then some.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.