Dominion to charge fee to heavy users of solar power

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

...The avoided wholesale rate now is somewhere around 4.5 cents per kWh. Take that wholesale price and add in enough profit to pay for all the lines and poles, which are normally "financed" for 35 years, and the operating costs, plus stockholders dividends, the price will rise to somewhere in the 9-11 cent range.
Not to mention the generation demand costs. Most of the market price is variable cost with a little demand cost on top. When we get into constraints and the prices jump, the market tries to recover more of its fixed costs.

When you Net Meter, If you produce enough power to make the meter spin backwards, then the power company is basically paying you the 9-11 cents per kWh it charges a customer. The owner of the store has to pay you to take the bread out of his store is what that amounts to.
That's exactly right. The customer is being refunded the costs for power lines, infrastructure, etc that they have not really avoided. All they really have avoided is the market varible price at the time they ran.

A power company may charge you for the demand. They have to maintain a capacity whether it is used or not. You can't store power. A generator, whether coal fired, nuclear, or whatever, will have to produce what is being used at any given moment. You can't reasonably expect the power company to commit to a certain capacity for free. That is why there are base plants, excess plants and peaking plants, and when these peaking plants crank up during peak periods, the energy price can be as high as 11 cents per kWh and the power can cost upwards of $27 (DOLLARS PER kW!) wholesale price. That has to be added in and spread out among the total power and energy sold each month to arrive at the everyday power and energy price you have to pay to keep the company profitable.
I would normally expect the $27/kW/month to be associated with low heat-rate units so the variable cost that goes along with that would be low (like 1 cent nuclear or 4 cent coal). The relationship between a plant's demand and energy cost is inverse.

Between the high-demand-cost nuclear plant and the cheap peaker units (like $4-5/kW/month simple-cycle units), you would have the intermediate combined cycle units. These would typically have a heat rate around 7000 so $5 gas would get you a 3.5 cent run cost.The simple-cycle units are probably in the 12000-15000 heat rate rate so would be running around 6-8 cents on run costs for the $5 gas.

So no, I don't feel sorry for someone that decides to interconnect to the utility to have to pay a "convenience fee" if you will. They do have an alternative, buy batteries and two way inverters and disconnect from the grid.
I think cutting the service would be an eye-opener for many of these customers. Some have become so used to having power at their finger-tips whenever they want it that they start to take it for granted.

mivey

The breadman is paying you to bring bread INTO his store! You (the solar system owner) paid your own good money to produce that energy and sell it to the utility, which the utility then sells to your neighbors. In essence, you are trading energy to your neighbors, and the utility is a middle man (like a stock exchange, maybe.)
The solar energy you provide is not the same product that the POCO is providing. There is more to being a utility than dumping energy onto a grid.

In the case we are discussing, the utility charges a flat rate to maintain the infrastructure that allows you and your neighbor to trade energy. Thus the utility already has an opportunity to profit from its middle-man position. To repeat, if the utility feels that the flat rate does not allow it to make a profit off of its distribution investments (not its generation investments), it can take that up with the regulators.
That flat fee does not cover the infrastructure costs, neither does the solar energy you provide take the place of the POCO's generating facilities. BTW, they did take it up with the regulators and the result is what you are complaining about.

I would have no problem with that, in principle. I could even consider it justified if the utility could charge a small 'commission' per kWh on the trade. A 20% tax is not a reasonable commission, especially considering it actually cost the utility next to nothing to make it possible.
You are displaying very little understanding of how a utility system works or what it costs to run a utility system.

The fact that a customer installs solar has no effect whatsoever on the peaking power that might be required to supply that customer at night. N-o-n-e w-h-a-t-s-o-e-v-e-r. Dominion has NO additional costs related to supplying these solar customers at night than it did before. And yet that is essentially the justification that Dominion is giving for this 'standby' fee. That is horsedung.
See the information I have provided above that shows you are completely wrong.

Further, during the day, the solar actually reduces the amount of peaking power the utility needs, thus saving Dominion money. (Eventually there might come a point when excess solar power on Dominion's lines needed to be dumped or stored, at some kind of cost, but Virginia is light-years away from that becoming an issue, and investing in renewable energy infrastructure is not the justification Dominion gave for the new fee.)
What Dominion has avoided is the market energy costs. And if a cloud comes over during that market hour, and the solar output drops, Dominion would have energy imbalance penalties to deal with as well (not an issue if they were running there own reliable units). To be a better source, solar needs to have some ride-through storage capacity.

This is purely a play by Dominion, parlaying its corporate influence with Virginia legislators, to protect its monopoly on providing energy to the people of Virginia, and to discourage more people from installing solar, because that might cut into Dominion's electrical generation business volume. It is purely anti-competitive and has no justification according to any notion of fair pay, fair play or free market principles, (to say nothing of issues of energy independence or ecology).
Nonsense. They are regulated to avoid those very things.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
When you Net Meter, If you produce enough power to make the meter spin backwards, then the power company is basically paying you the 9-11 cents per kWh it charges a customer. The owner of the store has to pay you to take the bread out of his store is what that amounts to.
That's not a good comparison. If a utility customer owns a PV system which spins the meter backward some of the time, even to the point where his net consumption is zero for a month, it's no different from the utility's perspective from how it would be if he just shut off his main breaker for a month. The power company has not bought anything from him.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
If any power company in Michigan is doing net metering, they are paying someone for electricity. That is the whole basis of net metering. Cooperatives do not have to net meter, but per uncle sam, IOU's do.

Net metering allows a customer to store electricity that they produce in excess of their immediate demand. Allowing free storage is not the same as paying money.

If the customer produces more than they consume over the course of the year, instead of getting a check (which they won't) they will get contacted by the POCO and the POCO can demand that some of the customer's output be reduced, or disconnected from the grid, or they can take off the bi-directional meter and put a regular one back on.

Our POCOs are governed by the state. Can you point me to the federal law that requires any POCO to net meter? I would like to see the details.

ggunn

Occupation
Net metering allows a customer to store electricity that they produce in excess of their immediate demand. Allowing free storage is not the same as paying money.

If the customer produces more than they consume over the course of the year, instead of getting a check (which they won't) they will get contacted by the POCO and the POCO can demand that some of the customer's output be reduced, or disconnected from the grid, or they can take off the bi-directional meter and put a regular one back on.

The way that works in the Co-ops I have dealt with here is that month to month the meter runs both directions, and the utility just zeroes the account at every year end and does not pay the system owner for any excess he has produced. It's not a problem for them if you produce more than you use, but they will not cut you a check.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Our POCOs are governed by the state. Can you point me to the federal law that requires any POCO to net meter? I would like to see the details.

Here in sunny Ca the POCO must allow Net metering. I would think that most other states require it also.

The way that works in the Co-ops I have dealt with here is that month to month the meter runs both directions, and the utility just zeroes the account at every year end and does not pay the system owner for any excess he has produced. It's not a problem for them if you produce more than you use, but they will not cut you a check.

I forgot about that! Great point. The there is no excuse for this POCO to get such a fee, the power generated is clean and renewable unlike the power Dominion produces. I would seriously have this fee investigated and challenged.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That flat connection fee is the base customer charge and does not cover for the other services. There are three type costs associated with power use: Customer, demand, and energy. The $7.00 fee covers the costs for reading a meter, rendering a bill, etc.

You and I both know that residential customers aren't typically charged for demand. With the standby charge, Dominion is adding demand charges to those with solar systems, and says they would add demand charges to all customers with solar systems if they could. Having a solar system has nothing in particular to do with demand. There is no reason Dominion should want to add demand charges to some residential customers, and not all residential customers, just because those customers have solar systems.

Again, explain to the solar customers why they shouldn't be compensated for helping the utility meet peak demand on sunny days. I would say these things cancel each other out.

The fee does not cover distribution costs, standby power costs, or the costs of using the power system as an "energy bank". There is no real "energy bank"

Notice how you are contradicting yourself. First there are 'costs to using the power system as an energy bank', then there is 'no real energy bank.' Only the second statement is correct at this point in time. It currently costs Dominion nothing to let solar system owners send their energy to their neighbors through the grid. Nothing, that is, that the flat rate fees and the neighbors energy charges aren't already paying for.

At best you could say they help meet some of the peak demand, but unfortunately the solar sources are not dependable enough and the POCO still has to build other generation to meet peaks on a cloudy day.

That fee has nothing to do with the burden Dominion wants to charge them for. See above.

The burden Dominion wants to charge them for doesn't exist (when compared to other residential customers Dominion does not want to charge.) Maybe there are other burdens that do exist, but then the name of the charge should reflect that actual burden. The 'standby charge' is a step in the wrong direction

The customer is not replacing any generation yet. There supply is not reliable enough. Let the customer start storing energy in a battery bank and we would be making some progress.

You are conflating generating capacity with generation in general. I would not object to Dominion charging solar system owners to store energy if that were required. Virginia is light years away from reaching that point, and thus for the foreseeable future it would be a waste of everyone's dollars.

That is because you do not understand how the power system works and how costs are incurred when you tie to it.

My understanding is adequate enough to see through your distortions. Your patronizing tone is unpersuasive and adds nothing of value to the conversation.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
That flat fee does not cover the infrastructure costs, neither does the solar energy you provide take the place of the POCO's generating facilities.

Really? You are conflating 'energy' with 'generating facilities'? And you say that I don't understand how utility systems work?

See the information I have provided above that shows you are completely wrong [that installing a solar system does not affect Dominion's ability to meet the customer's demand at night].

You are asking me to accept an incredibly unwarranted logical leap: that because a utility's cost structure is complicated, that affects the ability of utility to serve solar system owners at night.

Nothing you have said, anywhere, shows that a solar system have a negative effect on a utility's ability to meet the system owner's peak demand. Nothing whatsoever. That is why charging (only) solar customers with a demand charge is wrong and discriminatory.

What Dominion has avoided is the market energy costs. And if a cloud comes over during that market hour, and the solar output drops, Dominion would have energy imbalance penalties to deal with as well (not an issue if they were running there own reliable units).

This is about the only reasonable analysis you have offered in this whole thread. Of course, you probably know very well that there is currently not enough residential solar in Virginia to cause Dominion any energy imbalance problems.

To be a better source, solar needs to have some ride-through storage capacity.

To repeat, Virginia is light-years away from actually requiring that.

Why is Dominion adding a fee that affects only one customer? Because they want to discourage people from going solar, and thus maintain their monopoly on generation. If they merely wanted to make sure that they could pay for what might be needed to support solar in the future, they would call the fee a 'Renewable Energy Infrastructure Fee'. But they are not calling it that, because they are not interested in building a renewable energy infrastructure, even if customers were willing to pay for it, because it would threaten their monopoly on generation.

Last edited:

mivey

That's not a good comparison. If a utility customer owns a PV system which spins the meter backward some of the time, even to the point where his net consumption is zero for a month, it's no different from the utility's perspective from how it would be if he just shut off his main breaker for a month. The power company has not bought anything from him.
Not true. There are cost components that are included in the energy charges. With no energy being used, the rates would have to be designed differently.

With any rate class, there is a grouping of similar usage types and characteristics. Significantly change the load characteristics and you no longer have a load that fits the rate class and the rate doesn't return the proper revenues.

mivey

That will vary from utility to utility but it will definitely make a difference in the cost allocation. Some utilities charge you for the forward flow and pay you for the reverse flow.

ggunn

Occupation
Not true. There are cost components that are included in the energy charges. With no energy being used, the rates would have to be designed differently.

With any rate class, there is a grouping of similar usage types and characteristics. Significantly change the load characteristics and you no longer have a load that fits the rate class and the rate doesn't return the proper revenues.

But what would be the difference between a customer generating enough power on site to have a net zero usage for a month and simply opening their main breaker for a month? And if I insulate my home so that I don't use as much energy, should the utility raise my rates to protect their profits?

Last edited:

mivey

You and I both know that residential customers aren't typically charged for demand.
Not with a separate line item but they are most definitely charged.

...and says they would add demand charges to all customers with solar systems if they could.
Of course they would because that is one of the underlying cost factors (Customer, demand, and energy being the three). It is just not in the customer's best interest to put expensive demand meters on residential loads. This will change as the meter costs drop in the future. Some utilities have had residential demand rates for some customers for many years.

Having a solar system has nothing in particular to do with demand. There is no reason Dominion should want to add demand charges to some residential customers, and not all residential customers, just because those customers have solar systems.
You simply have to understand utility cost allocation and it does not appear you do. However, that is not your fault as many do not understand it.

Again, explain to the solar customers why they shouldn't be compensated for helping the utility meet peak demand on sunny days. I would say these things cancel each other out.
If the solar power were as reliable and as cost effective as the other peaking units, they should be compensated. But the problem is they are not the same. You can't replace a van with a compact, or replace a motorcycle with a bicycle, etc. Each has a niche but are not one-for-one replacements.

Notice how you are contradicting yourself. First there are 'costs to using the power system as an energy bank', then there is 'no real energy bank.'
How about if the government ordered that you let me store my annual use of water at your house for a year? It really is no cost to you since I will pick it up a year later and you will wind up with the same net of space you have today. You may not have room to store my water, but I am still using you like a storage facility.

It currently costs Dominion nothing to let solar system owners send their energy to their neighbors through the grid.
Not true.

Nothing, that is, that the flat rate fees and the neighbors energy charges aren't already paying for.
Not true either.

The burden Dominion wants to charge them for doesn't exist (when compared to other residential customers Dominion does not want to charge.)
Not true.

Maybe there are other burdens that do exist, but then the name of the charge should reflect that actual burden.
Therein lies the problem. In a perfect world, every customer would have their own rate and each rate would perfectly track the costs. That rarely ever happens because to do that you would spend a dollar tracking every dime. The rates try to model the costs while we try to use the most cost-effective means to gather the billing determinates and render a bill.

The 'standby charge' is a step in the wrong direction
Rate design is not a perfect science and there are no perfect solutions. I simply do not think you have the expertise to determine the correct direction and certainly are in no position to make a determination as to the right or wrong direction. Of course, everybody is entitled to an opinion but that is usually far from an expert analysis. The charge has already been analyzed by rate experts both for and against the charge. I'm sure it will be vetted even more by experts both for and against and we will just have to wait to see what they have to say won't we?

You are conflating generating capacity with generation in general.
I doubt it.

My understanding is adequate enough to see through your distortions. Your patronizing tone is unpersuasive and adds nothing of value to the conversation.
Yet you hurl insults at the workers, the auditors, the lawmakers, etc, cast dispersions on their integrity, accuse them of criminal activity, and bring their morals into question with no factual basis. You build a case out of fear, misunderstanding, misinformation, etc., but want to question my tone when I call your position and knowledge into question?

Really? ... And you say that I don't understand how utility systems work?
That would be pretty plain to anyone who understands utility operations and costing.

You are asking me to accept an incredibly unwarranted logical leap: that because a utility's cost structure is complicated, that affects the ability of utility to serve solar system owners at night.
Accept it or not, that is the way it is.

Nothing you have said, anywhere, shows that a solar system have a negative effect on a utility's ability to meet the system owner's peak demand. Nothing whatsoever. That is why charging (only) solar customers with a demand charge is wrong and discriminatory.
Start listening to the other things I have said and I'll see if you can learn something about how things really work, and not at the normal fee I charge for classes, but for free.

This is about the only reasonable analysis you have offered in this whole thread. Of course, you probably know very well that there is currently not enough residential solar in Virginia to cause Dominion any energy imbalance problems.
I do not know what the footprint is, although it is probably available online if the reporting is complete.

Why is Dominion adding a fee that affects only one customer? Because they want to discourage people from going solar, and thus maintain their monopoly on generation. If they merely wanted to make sure that they could pay for what might be needed to support solar in the future, they would call the fee a 'Renewable Energy Infrastructure Fee'. But they are not calling it that, because they are not interested in building a renewable energy infrastructure, even if customers were willing to pay for it, because it would threaten their monopoly on generation.
Baseless, insulting, and derogatory commentary on your part.

mivey

But what would be the difference between a customer generating enough power on site to have a net zero usage for a month and simply opening their main breaker for a month?
If you permanently open the breaker, you do not need the utility at all. If you open it for a month, you do not use the utility for that month but they have to be standing by and ready if you decide to use them. A generator that sometimes sends power to the utility and sometimes takes power from the utility makes an unusual load profile.

There are costs that are recovered in the rates based on load profiles. For residential, these costs are allocated into a customer charge and an energy charge (we usually don't have demand meters, much less 15-30 minute load data). There is an assumption about how much energy you will use and what amount of demand is normally associated with that energy based on load study data. If your load pattern differs drastically from the underlying cost profile, the rate does not recover the revenues like it should.

And if I insulate my home so that I don't use as much energy, should the utility raise my rates to protect their profits?
If you insulate your home, you will use less energy and your peak demand will be lower. If you decrease your usage 24x7, the utility can actually reduce the size of equipment allocated to your house and cut losses due to poor equipment utilization. Plus, if the load drops overall, they can actually reduce the amount of generation resources they need to allocate for your usage.

Just decreasing your load every now and then is not helpful because they have to be ready for the other times when you are back to full load. Load forecasting and resource planning is not easy.

Solar would be ok as part of a peaking resource portfolio if you could depend on it. Otherwise, you have to have something else waiting to take its place when it is not delivering and we know that extra resources cost money.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
If you decrease your usage 24x7, the utility can actually reduce the size of equipment allocated to your house and cut losses due to poor equipment utilization.

And you and I both know they won't do that.

Solar would be ok as part of a peaking resource portfolio if you could depend on it. Otherwise, you have to have something else waiting to take its place when it is not delivering and we know that extra resources cost money.

But in the aggregate, you can depend on it. NREL provides data by which you can predict the output of a PV system pretty accurately, and it is highly unlikely that "a cloud will come over" every PV system in the state at the same time. Also, if solar were not part of the picture those "extra" resources would have to be producing more of the time, and that costs money, too.

ERCOT, the administrators for the grid here in Texas, have to deal with this on a large scale, since they have a large wind generating capacity to deal with, and wind is less dependable on an instantaneous basis than is solar. They have an extensive network of spinning reserves (mostly natural gas fired generators) and an advanced computer coordinating system that enables them to put those reserves on line with very little notice. It can be done.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't read the whole thread....

So you do suppose they're only adding this charge to 10-20kilowatt systems now so they can start adding the charge to smaller systems later? I'm sure the opposition would be so strong if they tried to do it to everyone that they would have never got away with it. But if you do it a little piece at a time.....

mivey

And you and I both know they won't do that.
It is done at some scale all the time for parts of the utility system. Not really cost effective to do something like change out a transformer unless they are already there for other reasons. Now if your load profile was known before-hand and was expected to be small, they would have put in a small unit to start with.

But in the aggregate, you can depend on it. NREL provides data by which you can predict the output of a PV system pretty accurately, and it is highly unlikely that "a cloud will come over" every PV system in the state at the same time. Also, if solar were not part of the picture those "extra" resources would have to be producing more of the time, and that costs money, too.
Simply put, redundancy costs money.

ERCOT, the administrators for the grid here in Texas, have to deal with this on a large scale, since they have a large wind generating capacity to deal with, and wind is less dependable on an instantaneous basis than is solar. They have an extensive network of spinning reserves (mostly natural gas fired generators) and an advanced computer coordinating system that enables them to put those reserves on line with very little notice. It can be done.
Sure it can be done. But it takes a coordinated effort, extra manhours, extra equipment, etc. This does not just happen at no added cost.

I see down the road, with the age of smart metering and smart grid, more opportunity to include more retail customer resources into load planning. The grid is getting smarter and we will be able to make it run better but these things take money and time. Just having a large number of customers connecting a bunch of solar panels to the grid is not a solution in itself. They are not a "built-in" part of the grid structure as it exists today and currently add additional burden to the existing structure. It is not fair to the other customers to give all the benefit to the solar customers while making the non-solar customers carry the added burden.

Understand that: It is not Dominion that will bear the burden as they, like any business, will have no choice but to pass that burden on to the solar residence's neighbor.

mivey

So you do suppose they're only adding this charge to 10-20kilowatt systems now so they can start adding the charge to smaller systems later?
Usually the biggest get the most attention.

Think about this: What is special about a poor power factor on a residence or small business? Why is it that the large commercial customers are usually the only ones who have their power factor measured and billed separately? Kind of answers itself if you think about it.

I'm sure the opposition would be so strong if they tried to do it to everyone that they would have never got away with it. But if you do it a little piece at a time.....
It is not about "getting away" with anything. It is about cost causation and tying the revenues to the costs. It is not always cost effective to track and bill for every little cost separately, even if that might be the fairest way to do it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

It is entirely different!! Turn your main breaker off for a month and find out. Solar panels will not produce energy at night. Where does the electricity needed for your lights come from at night? A power company is expected to import any excess being produced from solar and export any energy needed by the owners of the solar when their generator isn't working.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

How can you "store electricity"? If you generate some excess and export it to the grid, it isn't "stored" until you decide you want it. Electricity must be generated on an as needed basis, and a power company must have that capacity available which they buy in blocks of energy on a contractual basis.
Think about connecting a solar panel to your portable generator. At what point can you stop relying on the portable generator(POCO) and decide to sell it? (get off grid)

I was thinking about purpa, which is a 30+ year old federal law that is up to the individual states to implement.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The breadman is paying you to bring bread INTO his store! You (the solar system owner) paid your own good money to produce that energy and sell it to the utility, which the utility then sells to your neighbors. In essence, you are trading energy to your neighbors, and the utility is a middle man (like a stock exchange, maybe.)
OK, lets look at this analogy. The poco buys energy for 4.5 cents. The store owner buys a loaf of bread for 45 cents. The poco sells energy for 9 cents, the store owner sells the bread for 90 cents a loaf. both make a profit. In net metering, the poco sells the energy for 9 cents but the meter can spin backwards with a solar generator, so in essence, they have to buy back the energy at 9 cents per kWh. The store owner can sell the bread for 90 cents, but has to buy back bread for 90 cents if you make some of your own so that you can share with your neighbors, using the store as a warehouse. How can the store owner stay open if he doesn't make some profit?

In the case we are discussing, the utility charges a flat rate to maintain the infrastructure that allows you and your neighbor to trade energy. Thus the utility already has an opportunity to profit from its middle-man position. To repeat, if the utility feels that the flat rate does not allow it to make a profit off of its distribution investments (not its generation investments), it can take that up with the regulators. I would have no problem with that, in principle. I could even consider it justified if the utility could charge a small 'commission' per kWh on the trade. A 20% tax is not a reasonable commission, especially considering it actually cost the utility next to nothing to make it possible.
They do, it is called a wheeling charge. Not sure if anyone is implementing it though. it was "invented" for deregulation I believe.

The fact that a customer installs solar has no effect whatsoever on the peaking power that might be required to supply that customer at night. N-o-n-e w-h-a-t-s-o-e-v-e-r. Dominion has NO additional costs related to supplying these solar customers at night than it did before. And yet that is essentially the justification that Dominion is giving for this 'standby' fee. That is horsedung.

Further, during the day, the solar actually reduces the amount of peaking power the utility needs, thus saving Dominion money. (Eventually there might come a point when excess solar power on Dominion's lines needed to be dumped or stored, at some kind of cost, but Virginia is light-years away from that becoming an issue, and investing in renewable energy infrastructure is not the justification Dominion gave for the new fee.)

This is purely a play by Dominion, parlaying its corporate influence with Virginia legislators, to protect its monopoly on providing energy to the people of Virginia, and to discourage more people from installing solar, because that might cut into Dominion's electrical generation business volume. It is purely anti-competitive and has no justification according to any notion of fair pay, fair play or free market principles, (to say nothing of issues of energy independence or ecology).

I wonder when Dominion peaks in winter? Maybe at night about 1-7 A.M. in the winter months? How much sun is there at those times?

Status
Not open for further replies.