dryer outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heating element is typically all that is 208/240 volt. The motor, timer and or electronics are 120 volts. So the only difference you should notice is a little longer drying time.

LawnGuyLandSparky

No, but it is still permitted to install the dryer circuits without GFCI protection (at least for a few more years :roll:).

But it is no longer permited to install NEMA 10-30 receptacle outlets on new circuits when a grounded conductor is used. The reason is that it is considered unsafe to bond the non-current carrying metal parts of an appliance to the grounded conductor load of the service. (yeah, I know you know this).

That is why you shouldn't tell someone NOT to perform this upgrade, just point out that it isn't required while replacing the appliance, but it is not safe enough to install it that way anymore.

My point is that consumers are being told that it IS required.

Cavie

How do you have 208V??

Do you live in a old commercial building that was renovated?

I never worked in an apartment building, but I would think 240V would be standard because of electric stoves and dryers heating faster

208 volt is very common in condo's and motels in Florida. Has been for years. As an inspector I went round and round with the a/c guys installing the wrong heat strips.

Volta

My point is that consumers are being told that it IS required.

I know, and I agree with you, and it is wrong for them to be told that. And quite frankly, it is likely safer to leave the old 10-30 in place as-is than to have j-random handyman or homeowner try to 'upgrade' it to a 14-30. :cool:

But the OP is employed by an EC, so I will trust his mechanical ability here on this and try to give him the info. he needs to make an informed decision.

iwire

Staff member
How do you have 208V??

Do you live in a old commercial building that was renovated?

I never worked in an apartment building, but I would think 240V would be standard because of electric stoves and dryers heating faster

Apartment buildings typically have 3 phase 208Y/120 services and yes the stoves take longer to boil water.

jimbo123

The electrical service is a 120/208 volt service. I think I will feel better with the newer 4 wire outlet upgrade. Thanks again for all your hepl here, learned something new today.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The electrical service is a 120/208 volt service. I think I will feel better with the newer 4 wire outlet upgrade.
Please understand that whether the supply is 120/240 or 120/208 affects drying time and nothing else.

The 4-wire receptacle and cordset should only be used IF the existing circuit is 4-wire, or you're going to run a new 4-wire circuit (which isn't necessary.)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I thought with the 4 wire it is a egc and is a safer setup as far as getting a shock.
It is, but the 3-wire circuit is permitted to be used in existing installations. It's important that either the 3-wire or the 4-wire method be continued to the new appliance.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Please understand that whether the supply is 120/240 or 120/208 affects drying time and nothing else.

The 4-wire receptacle and cordset should only be used IF the existing circuit is 4-wire, or you're going to run a new 4-wire circuit (which isn't necessary.)

Not signifigantly, as the dryer heats up the element turns on and off thermostatically... it's off more than it's on. A slightly lower voltage will just extend the on time but the load of clothes would only take a few minutes longer to dry...

GUNNING

Gas?

Gas?

This is just too complicated for my limited intelligence. How bout just sticking with gas, its clean. fast, cheap and only needs a 120v outlet. No transformers, no 3 wire, no 4 wire, no problems for the electrician to figure out. Yup, as a diy stick with gas and just plug it in.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.