Dryer vs GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

We installed an electric dryer in the golf cart storage garage of a big golf clubhouse. The code requires anything 50 amps and smaller to be GFCI in this environment. The dryer is tripping the 30 amp GFCI circuit breaker. When we take the ground wire off the dryer termination block at the rear of the dryer the GFCI holds fine. I read where a mosture sensor can cause a GFCI to trip as it has one side connected to ground and the leakage current keeps the timer on longer. Anyone have any experience or solutions for this?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
That was the issue. We installed the receptacle weeks ago and the owner just installed the dryer. Thanks!
GFI's ALWAYS work (trip) when N and EGC are bonded on load side ;)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There are many dryers installed with 4 wire cords that have the jumper installed. Now with the GFCI requirement, those jumpers will be discovered.
When I instructed classes, I would often have appliance repair electricians, and they said it was very common to have the jumper when it was not supposed to be there, and vice versa.
Code first required 4 wire cords for dryers and cook tops back in 96 or 99, doesn't do much good to have a 4 wire cord and the jumper.
How many home owners move, take old dryer, replace the cord to work with new 4 pole receptacle.
Not sure what the solution is.
GFCIs for sure

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That was the issue. We installed the receptacle weeks ago and the owner just installed the dryer. Thanks!
I'll bet there are millions of dryers out there in the wild with this issue. The inverse of this is more scary-an old 3 wire recep. and 3 wire cord on dryer without the jumper. Just a situation waiting to kill someone. Dryers have killed many over years.
But Tom is right, the new GFCI requirements will start exposing a bond that should not be there.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A bit of an aside--- I had wired a friends home but he and his wife separated before he could move in so he sold it. The owner plugged in his dryer and sparks flew. He called the inspections dept saying how his house almost burned down because the dryer receptacle was wired incorrectly. They called me to see what was going on.

Well, the home owner decided to hook up the 4 wire cord but didn't think it was important to put the wires in the proper place. I can't exactly remember what he had done but he almost burned down his own home.. LOL

There are to many people doing this without the knowledge. Even the delivery guys come with 2 cords but they have no idea about the bond in the dyer

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Why are dryers still being made that have a neutral?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
For dual compatibility on 120/240v and 120/208v supplies.
A dryer can be made all 240, or all 208, or even run on 208-240vac(rms). There is technically no need to have 120v on an electric dryer.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Gas dryers are 120 volt. Dryer manufactures want to use the same motor in both gas and electric models.

Even if they started using 240 volt motors in new electric dryers we would still be installing 14-30 receptacles to accommodate older dryers.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Gas dryers are 120 volt. Dryer manufactures want to use the same motor in both gas and electric models.

Even if they started using 240 volt motors in new electric dryers we would still be installing 14-30 receptacles to accommodate older dryers.
With the right motor, you could still use the same motor for all, but you ship the gas dryers with motor "wired" for 120v, and ship all electric dryers with motor "wired" for 208-240. This would also mean everyone could stop pulling a 4wire BC, and, a 3wire dryer would still work ok on the older 3wire recepts, AND, still works fine if you GFI it.

AND (yet another AND), a gas dryer could perhaps have option to change from 120 to 240 in the field, new homes these days put a 4wire 240 AND a 120v recept AND a gas line (when available), so if I had option to run my gas dryer using 240v I would, it's more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.