ductless split ac systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So...........not wanting to supersede the code, should I insist on even a low volt disco?

IMO, a small dp snap switch should work fine. Some of these units have 3 wires- one is communication so you would not need to disconnect that one.

Buck Parrish

I don't think a db switch is rated for that small of wire. They use thermostat wire. All of them that I've done the HVAC guys wire the inside part. We're doing two tomorrow.

wiringny

I don't think a db switch is rated for that small of wire. They use thermostat wire. All of them that I've done the HVAC guys wire the inside part. We're doing two tomorrow.

it has been my experience that the voltage coming inside to the indoor unit is over 120v! The indoor wiring HVAC contractors are installing SJ cord is illegal per code based on the voltage. Here in NYC, we are currently being required, and it is code, to install a disconnect alongside the indoor fan unit. We are currently installing three wire MC cable from the outdoor unit to the inside unit with a disconnect.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
it has been my experience that the voltage coming inside to the indoor unit is over 120v! The indoor wiring HVAC contractors are installing SJ cord is illegal per code based on the voltage. Here in NYC, we are currently being required, and it is code, to install a disconnect alongside the indoor fan unit. We are currently installing three wire MC cable from the outdoor unit to the inside unit with a disconnect.

IMO, it does not change the requirement for a disconnect in sight from the motor as dictated by 430.102, but there are units presently on the market that use 24v as well as DC motors in addition to ones that use 120v-240v motors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Note under product description:
Tray Cable is a multi-conductor control, signal or power cable rated for 600 volts. May be installed in raceways, conduit, cable trays, and outdoor locations where supported by a messenger wire. Also suitable for direct burial. Temperature rating at 75?C wet locations / 90oC dry locations.

Kinds hides the fact that TC cable installed inside on other than industrial applications must be in a raceway (NEC 336.12)

I have used this top secret product...

http://www.southwire.com/products/UFBOEM.htm
When this product was introduced I discussed it with UL as the cur sheet I had did not identify nit as a type MC cable. UL cautioned that the product does require special connectors listed for the use.
It is slowly becoming a popular product for the mini-split installers in this area.

When this product was introduced I discussed it with UL as the cur sheet I had did not identify nit as a type MC cable. UL cautioned that the product does require special connectors listed for the use.
It is slowly becoming a popular product for the mini-split installers in this area.

IT does not appear to be a NEC chapter 3 wiring method then no......?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have used this top secret product...

http://www.southwire.com/products/UFBOEM.htm

IT does not appear to be a NEC chapter 3 wiring method then no......?

That was my concern, but it is actually a MC cable.

Maybe my link is faulty or my eyes are failing me, but the link to the "top secret product" shows UF wire not MC!

Status
Not open for further replies.