Dwelling kitchen receptacles required - 210.52(A)(2)(1) and 210.52(C) - 2020 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So we've been have a running commentary between myself and one of my guys.

NEC 2020 210.52(A)(2)(1) requires receptacles outlets to be placed in any wall space that is 2 ft or more that is unbroken by a "fixed cabinets that [does] not have countertops". Implying that you are still required to install one if said cabinet does have a countertop.

210.52(A)(2) Wall Space.​

As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
  • (1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets that do not have countertops or similar work surfaces

Furthermore, both 210.52(A)(4) and 210.52(C) state that any receptacle installed for coutertops "shall not be considered as the receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A)"

210.52(A)(4) Countertop and Similar Work Surface Receptacle Outlets.​

Receptacles installed for countertop and similar work surfaces as specified in 210.52(C) shall not be considered as the receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A).

210.52(C) Countertops and Work Surfaces.​

In kitchens, pantries, breakfast rooms, dining rooms, and similar areas of dwelling units, receptacle outlets for countertop and work surfaces that are 300 mm (12 in.) or wider shall be installed in accordance with 210.52(C)(1)through (C)(3) and shall not be considered as the receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A).

Am I missing something? Doesn't this all explicitly say that in the kitchen of a dwelling that you are required to not only install countertop receptacles per 210.52(C) but also wall receptacles per 210.52(A). Where do the 210.52(A) receptacles go? In the toe kick? Does anyone actually do that?!

Someone please tell me what I'm missing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
See 210.52(A)(2)(1). It clarifies countertop spaces do not count as wall space.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
See 210.52(A)(2)(1). It clarifies countertop spaces do not count as wall space.
It does?

It reads:

210.52(A)(2) Wall Space.​

As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
  • (1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets that do not have countertops or similar work surfaces
  • (2) The space occupied by fixed panels in walls, excluding sliding panels
  • (3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers, such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings

A cabinet with a countertop doesn't count as a break in the floor line, thus it is still counted as wall space requiring outlets per 210.52(A), isn't it?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You are sending me back to the book :)
The wording of the rule is very poor. If the wall line is broken by cabinets that do not have counter tops, it is still wall space, but if the wall line is broken by cabinets with countertops or work surfaces, it is not wall space.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The wording of the rule is very poor. If the wall line is broken by cabinets that do not have counter tops, it is still wall space, but if the wall line is broken by cabinets with countertops or work surfaces, it is not wall space.
I think you said that backwards.

A wall line that is broken by a cabinet without countertop is not considered wall space. But a wall line that is broken by a cabinet with a countertop is not mentioned (in 210.52(A)(2)), thus is considered wall space.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think you said that backwards.

A wall line that is broken by a cabinet without countertop is not considered wall space. But a wall line that is broken by a cabinet with a countertop is not mentioned (in 210.52(A)(2)), thus is considered wall space.
You are correct.
As far as where the wall space receptacle goes, it can still be above the countertop as long as it is a receptacle in addition to the ones required by 210.52(C).

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Am I missing something? Doesn't this all explicitly say that in the kitchen of a dwelling that you are required to not only install countertop receptacles per 210.52(C) but also wall receptacles per 210.52(A).
As a receptacle can be up to 5-1/2 feet above the floor and still serve the wall space, is there an issue? The countertop receptacles can serve the wall space. And since the countertop receptacle spacing requirements are stricter than the wall receptacle requirements, seems like the wall requirements would automatically be satisfied.

Cheers, Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A floor-to-ceiling cabinet is an example that requires no receptacle, unless it had counter space.

Counter receptacles must follow the 2-4-4-2 spacing rule, and cannot serve nearby wall space.

Wall receptacles must follow the 6-12-12-6 spacing rule, and cannot serve nearby counter-top space.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As far as where the wall space receptacle goes, it can still be above the countertop as long as it is a receptacle in addition to the ones required by 210.52(C).
I guess that makes sense. But jeez, they're already only 4 feet apart. I guess more is warranted.

As a receptacle can be up to 5-1/2 feet above the floor and still serve the wall space, is there an issue? The countertop receptacles can serve the wall space. And since the countertop receptacle spacing requirements are stricter than the wall receptacle requirements, seems like the wall requirements would automatically be satisfied.
Not really, as Don mentioned above, only if you have counter receptacles that are "in addition to the ones required by 210.52(C)" would they meet the requirement of wall space. After all, any receptacles installed to meet the requirements of 210.52(C) (counter) "shall not be considered as the receptacle outlets required by 210.52(A)"

A floor-to-ceiling cabinet is an example that requires no receptacle, unless it had counter space.

Counter receptacles must follow the 2-4-4-2 spacing rule, and cannot serve nearby wall space.

Wall receptacles must follow the 6-12-12-6 spacing rule, and cannot serve nearby counter-top space.
Yes, but the question I was trying to raise is, where in the code does it say that a kitchen cabinet doesn't require both receptacles to serve the counter AND additional receptacles to serve the "wall space" that is the front of the cabinets (or the wall they're mounted to)?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, but the question I was trying to raise is, where in the code does it say that a kitchen cabinet doesn't require both receptacles to serve the counter AND additional receptacles to serve the "wall space" that is the front of the cabinets (or the wall they're mounted to)?
Are you asking whether a cabinet with proper receptacles above it (in the back-splash) also require receptacles in front of it, like in the toe-kick, for example?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Not really, as Don mentioned above, only if you have counter receptacles that are "in addition to the ones required by 210.52(C)" would they meet the requirement of wall space.
Right, Don added that bit after my response. The language in 210.52(A)(4) might admit considering a typical duplex as two receptacles, one for 210.52(A) and one for 210.52(C), but the language in 210.52(C) does not, as it refers to receptacle outlets.

So as far as I can see, you are correct. Countertop wall spaces requires 2-4-2 receptacles plus 6-12-6 receptacles. I don't see any requirement that they be installed in the toekick, so extra receptacles in the backsplash would be fine.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
PS Seems like an unintended consequence of a rule change intended perhaps to require a wall receptacle if you had, say, doorway, 1' of blank wall space, a 4' built-in desk with work surface, 1' of blank wall space, and then a doorway.

Cheers, Wayne

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Then, no. Kitchen space is either counter-top or wall space, not both.
Which seems obvious and how I've always understood it.

I was just surprised that the NEC doesn't seem to make that clear. And it's muddied in my mind with the explicit writing that counter receptacle outlets don't fulfill the wall space requirements.

Rob G

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The basic idea is that cords should not be draped over the ends of counter tops, in either direction.

Counter-top appliances shouldn't be plugged into wall-space receptacles not over the counter-top.

Also, floor-standing appliances and other loads shouldn't be plugged into counter-top receptacles.

If we locate counter-top and wall-space outlets with these concepts in mind, it should be apparent.

In my opinion, this includes refrigerator and gas range outlets. Their spaces should have their own.

And, how does he get every line to be the same length? :unsure:

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, that's how we have always interpreted the NEC, but that's not what it currently says.

Cheers, Wayne
I think it had changes more recently that resulted in a counter top receptacle no longer being able to serve space beyond the counter, therefore making you need a receptacle along the floor line within first six feet of the counter edge. Before then it never was clear as to whether it needed to have a separate receptacle or not.

If is in kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, etc. it still can be on same circuit though, but if counter edge is the transition to say a living room space then it can not be on the SABC's.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
OK to review the history, the 2014 NEC 210.52(A)(2)(1) reads "Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways and similar openings, fireplaces, and fixed cabinets." That clearly excludes walls with kitchen base cabinets from needing "wall space" receptacles.

In 2017 the sentence was changed to ". . . fixed cabinets that do not have countertops or similar work surfaces." Now walls with kitchen base cabinets with countertops are no longer exempted, and so those walls must have wall space receptacles in addition to countertop receptacles, given (2020) 210.52(A)(4) and 210.52(C).

Apparently a requirement that everyone overlooks, and likely not intended.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.