Effective ground fault path

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Just to display my ignorance, it seems to me that bonding protects against grabbing the water line and gas line while standing on a rubber mat and getting zapped, because if properly bonded there is no potential difference between them. However, if I'm in my bare feet standing on a damp concrete basement floor, I can still get shocked (or worse). If those bonded pipes are now also grounded, as in connected to to the ground bar in the panel, then I can touch those pipes in my bare feet because the potential on the pipes should have tripped the circuit breaker, assuming something like a bolted fault. I'm not so very protected if there is a high impedance fault (say, only a few hundred milliamps) and the source is not connected to a GFCI device; I'll just get equally shocked whichever pipe I grab. :unsure:

Bonding pipes assures that a hot touching them will trip a breaker, removing dangerous voltage.

Well how many milliamps is your high Z fault? Complimenting Mike's post above-

In my simplification, typically, the voltage a user will experience during a high Z fault can be calculated via Vs x VR2/(R1+R2) = V touch

Where R1 is the total impedance of the hot wire going back to the POCO transformer plus the high Z fault and R1 is the EGC back to the utility transformer.

Assuming 100 feet 12 guage NM and 50 feet of 1/0 AL back to the POCO transformer, R1 comes out to about 0.2 ohms and R2 to 0.2 ohms.

Adding a high impedance fault of 500 milliamps at 120 volts, V/I=R gives us 240 ohms.

240+0.2=240.2 ohms

So, plugging these value into the original equation gives us 0.1 volts touch voltage to remote earth.

Assuming 400 ohms ( very low end body resistance) 0.25 milliamps of current, below the no let go threshold.

So the user is safe under high Z fault conditions because of the EGC.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
With no EGC, the body simply becomes a series resistor with the high Z fault current- so 240 ohms + 400 ohms = 640 ohms. 120v/640ohms= 187.5 milliamps. This is above the no let go value, well into the V-fib value.

Now, a bit of bonus- if we drive a 25 ohms ground rod on the device with its 500 ohms high Z fault, using the same resistive divider equation VsxR2/(R1+R2)= touch voltage, the voltage on the metal shell becomes 5.7 volts to earth.

Someone with dry hands or dry shoes typically will not precept 5.7 volts, creating the idea that a ground rod is removing dangerous voltage- and in some ways it is- until that 500 ohm fault becomes a 0.03 ohm fault.

It is possible the in the old days with questionable insulation that many fault started out as high Z faults, where driving a ground rod stopped the shocking under average body resistance (>5000 ohms) creating the myth that earth brought things to a safe potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.