Electric baseboard heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trovmar

Hi guys, a customer wants three baseboard heaters installed in each of the three bedrooms in his house. He wants to use 8 footers and install them under the windows in each room. I cant find anything in the code book that states how far an existing wall receptacle can be from the heater. I found in article 424.39 the clearance from the edge of outlet boxes must be 8 inches. But what confuses me is that are they talking about the heater being plug and play or do they mean the nm wire in the walls. Thanks for the help.

benaround

Hi guys, a customer wants three baseboard heaters installed in each of the three bedrooms in his house. He wants to use 8 footers and install them under the windows in each room. I cant find anything in the code book that states how far an existing wall receptacle can be from the heater. I found in article 424.39 the clearance from the edge of outlet boxes must be 8 inches. But what confuses me is that are they talking about the heater being plug and play or do they mean the nm wire in the walls. Thanks for the help.

424.39 is for electric space heating " Cables ', better keep looking.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Probably an AHJ type call, but to me, if you add the heater then it's up to you to see the installation is compliant. If the mfg.says "no receptacles" then you would need to relocate/add, etc as needed.

If you were to read the manufacturer's installation instructions, generally they do not say that a receptacle cannot be installed above the electric baseboard heater...

The instructions generally say that that the heater cannot be installed below receptacles. :D

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Most baseboard heater MFG state no recepts above heaters. Thay provide a internal raceway to provide a recept at the end caps.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Better yet, suggest using the type of heater that is about a foot square by 4 inches deep, that is installed flush with the wall, and that includes a built-in fan. It takes up less wall space, so it won't interfere with receptacle spacing, and is far, far more effective in heating the room. I have these in five rooms. The one in the (fairly large) master BR does a much better job in heating up that room than do the two 6 foot baseboard heaters in the living room. The fan makes all the difference.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Yes, that is what I had in mind. I think I have a different model in my house. I have seen them in the big box stores, for about that same price range. They are available in 240 volt ratings as well.

cal1947

retired elect.

retired elect.

must be fairly large rooms for three 8 footers

hurk27

I thought the requirement of no receptacles above a baseboard heater went by by when they stopped producing heaters that get too hot to touch??

Think about it, if a heater is hot enough to damage a cord plugged in a receptacle above it, then what will happen to a child who might crawl over to it and put its hand in it?:confused:

this is like getting a red tag because your romex is touching duct work.:roll:

gndrod

424.39 pertains to heating cables in ceiling or wall installations. An option in the baseboard with a plug-in receptacle built into the baseboard would be a good solution to your concerns. How big are these rooms? Is this up in high country? Just asking. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.