Electric blankets

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

My wife is on the local board of the Salvation Army.

Although the first thing that probably comes to mind is a soup kitchen, they do lots of things to help others. They help people with money for heating, which is going to be especially difficult this year with oil prices what they are.

The subject of acquiring and distributing electric blankets has come up.

I have nothing specific, but a feeling that handing out electric blankets might not be that good an idea. But the local Salvation Army unit director says she often turns the heat way down in her house and goes to bed under an electric blanket.

Maybe it would help conserve heating costs...

My wife said, "You get in there on that forum of yours and ask them what they think of the idea."

... so here I am. Any thoughts on anything relevent would be appreciated.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
realolman said:
My wife said, "You get in there on that forum of yours and ask them what they think of the idea."
My wife says, "you get off that forum and cook my dinner."

So I can't help right now, sorry.

76nemo

chris kennedy said:
My wife says, "you get off that forum and cook my dinner."

So I can't help right now, sorry.

My "unpotential" wife would say the same thing. Her patient is human, my patient houses humans. You fix your problem, I'll fix mine.:grin:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The problem with this could be the EMF issues with electric blankets.

Even though handing them out is with the best intentions, there are numerous EMF studies involving electric blankets and their relationship to leukemia, breast cancer, testicular cancer, and more.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
gar said:
080611-1856 EST

Use down filled comforters.

A very good idea.
icon14.gif

Roger

brian john

A good wool blanket, as a military brat we had old US Army green wool blankets wonderfully warm. Year's later the local Salvation Army was giving theses out when an injunction was put on them to stop passing out the blankets. Seems these blankets were treated with DDT.

Other that the 3rd eye I am no worse off for the warmth those blankets gave me..

Buck Parrish

I've used electric blankets and think they are great. The problem is people leave them on forever. But I know of no statistics about them causeing fires.

ultramegabob

LarryFine said:
Anybody know where I can get an electric cooling blanket?

I was in the hospital once and they used a blanket that had passages for a pump to circulate ice water through to bring my body temp down.

realolman

Thanks. I appreciate all your thoughts. I'll pass them on.

Meanwhile... give as much as you can to you favorite charity. It's getting harder all along for everybody.

HighWirey

Electric Blankets warped

Electric Blankets warped

realolman said:
Thanks. I appreciate all your thoughts. I'll pass them on.

Meanwhile... give as much as you can to you favorite charity. It's getting harder all along for everybody.

Congratulations and best wishes to your wife for her assistance to the Salvation Army, my favorite charity. I believe that more of the resources contributed to the Salvation Army actually reachs those in need (as opposed to that 'cross' outfit - "like to buy a doughnut, doughboys").

"A bad decision made 65 years ago still haunts the Red Cross. In 1942, during World War II, the Red Cross was ordered by then-Secretary of War Harold Stimson to charge soldiers a nickel for the doughnuts and coffee that it distributed at "Red Cross clubs" behind the battle lines in parts of Europe".

Fast forward to year 2008. Not a year passes that I do not see the 'cross' having to defend themselves against 'misusing their money'. Google the saleries of the Salvation Army vs the 'cross'.

Electric blankets? - too many of those 'smoke shovellers' in our faces today.

Best Wishes Everyone

HighWirey

brian john said:
A good wool blanket, as a military brat we had old US Army green wool blankets wonderfully warm. Year's later the local Salvation Army was giving theses out when an injunction was put on them to stop passing out the blankets. Seems these blankets were treated with DDT.

Other that the 3rd eye I am no worse off for the warmth those blankets gave me..

Had one also, it was warmest blanket I ever had. Used it for years and years . . .

Had one also, it was warmest blanket I ever had. Used it for years and years . . .

Best Wishes Everyone

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We have two electric blankets, and we leave them both on throughout the entire winter. One is kept on a chair, and the other on a sofa. But we never get to use them; the cats won't allow it. :grin:

From a practical viewpoint, if a family is having trouble with finances, and if conserving electric power will help, I would not turn to an electric heating appliance as the solution. There are cheaper and more effective blankets available, ones that don't consume electricity themselves.

480sparky

I abhor electric blankets. It's a waste of perfectly good electromotive force. You heat the blanket, and the heat rises.... away from you.

Now, electric matress pad warmers.... now your talking! Heats up the entire bed. Crawl in on a cold and windy winter night, and it's all nice and toasty!

Mine automatically turns off after 10 hours.

Special note to Charlie: You can always move the cats, you're bigger'n they are. :smile: Mine get shoved off to the side every night. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.