Electric blankets

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

Sierrasparky said:
That be the poor soul in that bed under the heat for 10 hrs:cool:

5AM, and I'm long gone from the bedroom. I leave it to the cats. I still turn the warmer off, but at least I know it will go off automatically if I forget.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
I have never felt comfortable with the idea of lying current carying wires directly across my body (those that do not have a second/return wire to cancel fields)

I favor the idea of using the blanket to warm the bed but turned off when people are under it.

Here is one article that was interesting and had some data. It also suggests that blanket design has improved in the area of EMFs over time.

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=5878051

HighWirey said:
In 1942, during World War II, the Red Cross was ordered by then-Secretary of War Harold Stimson to charge soldiers a nickel for the doughnuts and coffee that it distributed at "Red Cross clubs" behind the battle lines in parts of Europe".
I'm glad you threw that in there. They were ordered to charge American's the same rate as they charged soldiers from other countries, by the Army! What could they do?

Back to the topic at hand, I have had an electric heating pad catch fire while I was using it. I lost a perfectly good sweat shirt, and could have burnt the house down if I hadn't picked it up off the couch and tossed it out the front door.

I support the idea of using down comforters or wool blankets. On the plus side, they don't use any extra electricity, so there's no surprise charge on the bills from that.

Good luck.

roger3829

480sparky said:
I abhor electric blankets. It's a waste of perfectly good electromotive force. You heat the blanket, and the heat rises.... away from you.

Now, electric matress pad warmers.... now your talking! Heats up the entire bed. Crawl in on a cold and windy winter night, and it's all nice and toasty!

Mine automatically turns off after 10 hours.

I have my matress pad pluged into a plug-in timer.

It warms bed before it's bedtime, turns off in am.

:)

muskiedog

If the are approved appliaces why not?

If the are approved appliaces why not?

I live in minnesota and turn my furnace to 60 at night and even on the coldest night it is rare that it turns on more then once. They would be better off insulating the houses. A couple of quilts and you are toasty warm and my wife goes to bed first and warms it up.

How do the homeless plug it in?

roger said:
A very good idea.
icon14.gif

Roger

Yeah and like Marie Antoinette said to the French: 'Let them eat cake!'

realolman said:
My wife is on the local board of the Salvation Army.

Although the first thing that probably comes to mind is a soup kitchen, they do lots of things to help others. They help people with money for heating, which is going to be especially difficult this year with oil prices what they are.

The subject of acquiring and distributing electric blankets has come up.

Maybe it would help conserve heating costs...

Yes, it will.

You can virtually stop doing anything if you are concerned about lawsuit. As the favored saying goes: " a 'good' prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich".

Are they a potential fire hazard? Virtually anything but water is.

Is there EMF radiation hazard. Potentially, but we haven't prohibited people going outside to be protected from UV rays and you can not escape cosmic radiation anywhere.

It will help people, but you can't help them when thye freeze to death or they starve to death because they could not afford food AND heat.

quogueelectric

brian john said:
A good wool blanket, as a military brat we had old US Army green wool blankets wonderfully warm. Year's later the local Salvation Army was giving theses out when an injunction was put on them to stop passing out the blankets. Seems these blankets were treated with DDT.

Other that the 3rd eye I am no worse off for the warmth those blankets gave me..
Is it your third eye that can see infared?

realolman

The blankets were not intended for the homeless. They were intended to allow people to maybe turn their thermostats lower than would be possible with just "normal" blankets . Most people around here have oil or gas heat.

I don't think the idea is going to fly....I guess it just doesn't seem like that good an idea.

The salvation army used to give people who needed it, 100 gallons of oil. How long ago was that less than 100 dollars? Now it is over 400 dollars.

It doesn't take a math whiz to figure out where this is headed for a lot of people.

I don't know what's to become of all of us... but especially the poor. Help out where you can.

Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee a drink? ... And the King will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to the least of my brethren, you did it to me."

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
realolman said:
The blankets were not intended for the homeless. They were intended to allow people to maybe turn their thermostats lower than would be possible with just "normal" blankets . Most people around here have oil or gas heat.

I don't think the idea is going to fly....I guess it just doesn't seem like that good an idea.

The salvation army used to give people who needed it, 100 gallons of oil. How long ago was that less than 100 dollars? Now it is over 400 dollars.

It doesn't take a math whiz to figure out where this is headed for a lot of people.

I don't know what's to become of all of us... but especially the poor. Help out where you can.

Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee a drink? ... And the King will answer them, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to the least of my brethren, you did it to me."

I have a fair amount of sympathy for people on a tight budget who get nailed by the oil price increase.

I am not sure there is much one can do about it other than to demand government muzzle the environmentalist wackos that have put a stop to oil exploration and refining in the US.

The bottom line is that if you want the price of something to go down, there has to be a bigger supply of it. Conservation helps a little along the edges, but it really does not change the overall picture that much.

I think an extra couple of traditional blankets is a better choice than electric blankets in any case.

Maybe the SA can match up people trying to save money on the heating cost with homeless dogs from the animal shelter. A nice big dog puts out a lot of heat. :)

muskiedog

Amen to that

Amen to that

petersonra said:
I have a fair amount of sympathy for people on a tight budget who get nailed by the oil price increase.

I am not sure there is much one can do about it other than to demand government muzzle the environmentalist wackos that have put a stop to oil exploration and refining in the US.

The bottom line is that if you want the price of something to go down, there has to be a bigger supply of it. Conservation helps a little along the edges, but it really does not change the overall picture that much.

I think an extra couple of traditional blankets is a better choice than electric blankets in any case.

Maybe the SA can match up people trying to save money on the heating cost with homeless dogs from the animal shelter. A nice big dog puts out a lot of heat. :)

I couldn't agree more.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
weressl said:
Yeah and like Marie Antoinette said to the French: 'Let them eat cake!'

Gee Laszlo, what did they do to you?:rolleyes: They're just trying to help these people stay warm.

I don't know what your problem is with giving them something to stay warm with is, and a down filled comforter gives great warmth.

Heck, I've used down filled comforters in below freezing temps in a tent and slept absolutely toasty.

Roger

roger said:
Gee Laszlo, what did they do to you?:rolleyes: They're just trying to help these people stay warm.

I don't know what your problem is with giving them something to stay warm with is, and a down filled comforter gives great warmth.

Heck, I've used down filled comforters in below freezing temps in a tent and slept absolutely toasty.

Roger

How many electric blankets can you buy for the price of one down comforter?

Either way the give and not to give was the question.

Choose the most economical solution and darn the lawyers.......

Status
Not open for further replies.