Electrical Construction Exam - Arizona (CR-11) - Math vs Information

Occupation
Engineer
Hi All -
I am planning to take the Electrical Construction Exam.

I am not sure what will be the percentage of questions related to Calculations/Math vs finding the right Information/Definitions.

Also, as far as the math questions are concerned. Knowing that each question is worth the same, would you say there are more of the harder math questions, which require more time or easier (one or 2 step) calculation questions?

If someone can share their experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Speaking only in a general sense, I prefer to begin by reading quickly through the entire test. Then I answer the easier questions first. By "easier," I mean the ones for which I can the right answers quickly. That has two advantages. One is getting points in the bag quickly. The other is a boost in confidence before facing the more difficult questions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Speaking only in a general sense, I prefer to begin by reading quickly through the entire test. Then I answer the easier questions first. By "easier," I mean the ones for which I can the right answers quickly. That has two advantages. One is getting points in the bag quickly. The other is a boost in confidence before facing the more difficult questions.
There is one more advantage...I don't think that I have ever come across a test where one question did not provide the answer to a different question.

Since, in most tests each question is worth the same, so you save the ones that take the most time for last. Some of the calculation questions can take up a lot of time.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
I agree with the advice given so far, with one caveat. I would find out everything I can about how the test is administered, whether on a computer or on paper. If on paper, figure out how you are going to make sure you put the answer in the appropriate space on the answer sheet; I messed that one up on a fairly important test in high school. If on a computer, see if it is even possible to skip questions and go back to them. If it is possible, decide if the process is so nasty that skipping questions is more trouble than it's worth.

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor

Hello, electricallearner

We are all learners at test time. When going to take a test, think of it as a learning experience. Expect failure, and learn from it.
Just as you would if you pulled the wrong size wire for a certain load and then have to replace it with a larger one.
You just learned something because of a small mistake and you want do it again.

If you fail, do not get discouraged!!

Go back and try it again but you must keep studying in between the exams thus, you're constantly learning more about the test.
If you're allowed to take the test multiple times then keep taking it until you pass. You will eventually pass, if you're still studying.

Watch your language as you read the question. Electrical questions can be confusing even when reading you Code book.

I am a mentor for my students whom I personally tutor here at my shop and I have a proven record of showing them how to pass it.
Did you take an electrical class for test preparation? If so, maybe your instructor would mentor you.

Check it out and consult him.

Keep going while studying for it! You will pass. There's some good advice from those who have answered here your plea for help.

TEXAS+MASTER#4544

Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys! Unfortunately I didn't pass. The test was mostly understanding information/code and looking up the code. I struggled a lot with that because I focused mostly on doing the math/calculation questions. I missed it by 6 points out of 120... Now I am just strategizing to do as many practice test as possible. I made a mistake thinking that looking up information was going to be easy.
I will keep trying as advised, I am already scheduled to take it again in 30 days. I should have done more practice tests where I was required to look up information, but I messed up... oh well live and learn. thank you all!

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I hate test taking, but someone gave me a really good hint a while back.

When reading test questions, usually the shortest answer is the correct one. It has to do with the person who writes the question, knows the answer and then trying to write the wrong ones typically leads to longer prompts for the other options.

It is similar to the saying about lying is always a longer explanation than the truth.

I tested it out and it rang pretty true on some of my tests.

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
Hi All -
I am planning to take the Electrical Construction Exam.

I am not sure what will be the percentage of questions related to Calculations/Math vs finding the right Information/Definitions.

Also, as far as the math questions are concerned. Knowing that each question is worth the same, would you say there are more of the harder math questions, which require more time or easier (one or 2 step) calculation questions?

If someone can share their experience, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hey, Electricallearner

Have you had any class room training or face to face with a qualified Code instructor?
That is to say, just you and the instructor and no one else to create a distraction.
I'm talking about someone who can sit down with you and explain the art of test taking.
Is this a two part exam, or one part? Doesn't matter.

What exactly is the Electrical Construction exam? Simply an exam focused on the Code?

Don't worry about the percentage of questions. Or, there point value.

A lot of calculations type questions have multiple steps to take to get the correct answer.

So you must be cautious that you do all required steps to get the correct answer.

Because if you don't, you're likely to have two or three answers consisting of a 3 or 4 step formula.
And only one real answer based on all of the necessary step one two etc.
Those are called distractor answers. Also, use 'guesswork' never leave an unanswered question.

Yes, you will likely need to be up to Code with your math. Find someone who maybe qualified.

If you can't find that 'someone,' don't let that stop you, forge on and keep studying! I'm talking seriously studying.
If this is your first or 3rd or 4th attempt at the exam, go take it with I'm 'gonna' learn something each time I take the test.
It just may work. One of the keys is to study, study and more studying. Oh, did I tell you to study? chuckle

And find a mentor, someone that shares your same interest in passing an electrical exam.
Don't stop 'till you pass! Don't let someone try to tell you that they have taken the test 10 times and still failed! Ignore it.
Let me know your progress as you continue.

Thanks for reading
Comments accepted
TX+MASTER#4544

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Questions to ask of any test format - 1: Is it multiple choice? , and 2: Are there no marks deducted for wrong answers? and 3: Are the questions weighted evenly? ie one mark per question. If the answer to each of these questions is "yes"; make sure you answer every question. As others have stated, leave your pencil down and read through the test. Then go back and answer all the ones you know for sure. Then go back and answer those that you know how to calculate or know where to find the answer in the code. Then go back and try the hard ones.
Also know how much time you have for the test. For example, if you have 2 hours to answer 60 multiple choice questions, that's two minutes/question. It doesn't make sense to spend twenty minutes on one question for one mark!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think one of the biggest mistakes I see is someone getting "hung up" on a question and spending too much time attempting to find an answer.
I've taken a ton of test and some answers I never found but didn't waste time and, so far, passed every test taken.
All the ones I have taken have a means to "mark" a question and go back time permitting. Use that ! Concentrate on the ones you can answer quickly and save the others for later.
I've taken some test that are simply "pass" or "fail" and once I answered enough correctly I never had to go back to the tough ones,.