Electrical tape inside a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes nice work, but respectfully, personally I prefer to leave at bit more wire in the panel than that. I see panels cut in like that all the time but if I want to rework something I hate having to splice. Or playing games when it was cut in like this and I'm doing a panel change and the wires aren't long enough. Oh well.
This was a new house, just a few years ago, so there won't be any upgrades any time soon.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't deal much with MWBC anymore but if you do any new wiring/new construction, you have to keep the neutral together with the hot due to the AFCI/GFCI breakers. What I do is cut a piece of sheathing about an inch long and slip both wires through it. You could do the same for MWBC if you want. I also use a piece of sheathing to identify the circuits. Slip it on the hot and write on the sheath what it is.
200.4(B) wouldn't require additional identification for MWBC contained in a single cable or raceway with no other circuits. Personal preference might be to tie them together within the panel though to make proper termination a little easier on GFCI/AFCI's, or even regular double pole breaker applications

garbo

That’s IF you can pass the neat and workmanlike requirement. That is Code but often not followed.
In my 50 years as an industrial sparky never had any problems using a quality tape to bundle smaller size conductors say #14 to #'s. Always used made in USA quality ty rabs to secure larger conductors. Never use garbage ty rabs made in lack of quality control cheating china. We ran out of th rabs and borrowed some from IT guys that were made in china ww grainger crap. Halve of them brook while tightening. Only good for securing trash bags.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
200.4(B) wouldn't require additional identification for MWBC contained in a single cable or raceway with no other circuits. Personal preference might be to tie them together within the panel though to make proper termination a little easier on GFCI/AFCI's, or even regular double pole breaker applications
I realize that, I was just pointing out you could use the sheath on a MWBC run in conduit instead of tape or zip tie to hold the conductors together.

norcal

That’s IF you can pass the neat and workmanlike requirement. That is Code but often not followed.

How can someone enforce such a subjective requirement? Put 3 different inspectors in the same room & you will get 3 different outlooks.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Like the mythical “can’t use no wire nut in a panel”.
Yes, you have to love the electrical urban myths, along with the mythical and mystical rules that appear every once in a while on an inspection.

Unicorns and pixie dust

Status
Not open for further replies.