Electrical tips for townhomes built nearby beach area and corrosive environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello!

I'm designing a townhomes building (6 townhomes next to each other separated by firewall) a block away from the beach. Any special electrical tips for buildings that are going to be built by a nearby beach from your experiences in electrical construction in these type of corrosive environment and weather swings. Things like installing PVC properly, screws/straps to be stainless steel, etc.

Thank you

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Hello!

I'm designing a townhomes building (6 townhomes next to each other separated by firewall) a block away from the beach. Any special electrical tips for buildings that are going to be built by a nearby beach from your experiences in electrical construction in these type of corrosive environment and weather swings. Things like installing PVC properly, screws/straps to be stainless steel, etc.

Thank you

You can specify that the outdoor condenser coils be coated, which are a little more expensive than a standard coil.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Cut down any air infiltration as much as possible. That salt air find its way into boxes and well everything.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No Al wire.
SS 316 fasteners, antiseze
If using RMC, coat all exposed threads with cold galv paint, 2 coats
SS meter enclosures
Penatrox E all connections and threads
Ul listed ground rods these have are copper clad
Standard painted sheet metal enclosures do not last, concentric ko’s rust

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Hello!

Thank you
If you so inclined, read “rust” by Mary Roach.

Status
Not open for further replies.