electrician hand tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori

I have always used kliens 9" linemans pliers
I have used oil on them to loosen them , graphite also, and before that I would just work them and work them but that took a long time

I buy them bare if I can or just with comfort grips and then cut those off and get the red grips that are sold seperately , I know the instructions say to boil them but I hammer them on with a peice of wood -that way they are tight -

one time I even ground and sanded them untill they looked chrome but someone liked them more than me and stole them ( a lot of work for nothin)

I use all klien tools except for channel locks

Last edited:

RHaggie

I couldn't answer right off any preference so I picked up a pair pf 9" Kliens.

Turns out I put my pinky on the inside of the handle and control the opening that way.
It's amazing what you do unconciously and out of habit.
And I never heard about hitting the guy on the pole; I guess I just flailed away and beat the crud out of both sides, judging by the marks. Good information though....

Occupation
Inspector
RHaggie said:
... I never heard about hitting the guy on the pole;....

What Guy on the pole? ;) You all must be better than me because my Klein 9", 20+yrs, has no guy. I must have knocked him off the pole a few years back.

celtic

You are useing the SAME pair of lineman's for 20+ years ???

Either you like to carry every tool known to man or you aren't using the Klein's to maximum potential ;)

I buy a new set of 9's every couple of years...mostly because they stop cutting wire.
A sure fire why to wreck a pair of Klein's is to cut a snake or ASCR (ACSR?).

Occupation
Inspector
celtic said:
... you aren't using the Klein's to maximum potential ;)
...mostly because they stop cutting wire.
A sure fire why to wreck a pair of Klein's is to cut a snake or ASCR (ACSR?).

I must admit that my Klein's don't cut like they did. It is amazing how you can become attached to your tools. There are quite a few battle scars that I can still remember today.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd say Klein would likely buy them back from you, to put in a display case out front! :D

I'm just about done with my fifth year in the field, once I settled on the Klein J-Man pliers I've managed to blow up or otherwise destroy two or three pair of them. You're not using them enough. :D

When I buy a new pair I try to determine nimbleness as much as I can while they're still in the package. I work them for up to ten minutes with WD-40 when I first buy them, and try to remember to work them once a month, but end up lubing them in longer intervals.

They fall open like it was their job.

The last pair I had seized up, and I snapped them hitting them with a hammer trying to free them up. So from here on out I'm on a regular lube policy and life is golden. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.