Electrician vs. Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager

Did not read entire article, though I cannot comment on whether or not the speaker might need a "breaking in" period, I find it very hard to believe any degradation of the cable that may happen during this break in time will actually be noticed in audio performance.

Using a megohmeter to test the before and after results will likely have more degrading effect than the "breaking in" has.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'm not whining, I'm looking for a good reason why a conductor that was used for 208 volts can not be later be used for 480 volts.
We don't even know for a fact that the engineer in question ever said that, or if maybe it was simply interpreted that way. No offense to the OP, but it is hearsay and the guy is not here to defend himself or explain what he said/meant. To roast him in absentia over this is silly and pointless.

mivey

That is interesting, although I find it hard to believe one would notice the change in the cable. How would that be distinguished from the changes in the equipment? I can see where one might notice the difference in an old vs a new cable but as for the microscopic changes in a new cable over time ...

Add: Not sure how relevant that alignment theory would be to AC signals either.

kwired

Electron manager
We don't even know for a fact that the engineer in question ever said that, or if maybe it was simply interpreted that way. No offense to the OP, but it is hearsay and the guy is not here to defend himself or explain what he said/meant. To roast him in absentia over this is silly and pointless.

However we can roast an inspector or a homeowner or members of other trades on this forum:happyyes:

The engineer in the OP did change his mind later BTW.

ggunn

Occupation
That is interesting, although I find it hard to believe one would notice the change in the cable. How would that be distinguished from the changes in the equipment? I can see where one might notice the difference in an old vs a new cable but as for the microscopic changes in a new cable over time ...

Ah, yes, that great bastion of truth and objectivity, the audiophile advertizing industry. These are the folks who brought us the $450 wooden volume knob that would "remarkably" improve the sound of a power amplifier and the $1200 AC power cord. Run like the wind. :D

ritelec

I agree.......I just read it........and thought why not? (but doubt it).

My better judgement does say hogwash........anyone can say anything now adays on the net (true or false)......but it did make me scratch my head and question.

Who knows, maybe it's something else for all the upsellers to work with.........................Rip it all out!!!..

New equipment doesn't work right with old wiring. Old wiring only lasts for 30 yrs then starts to degrade for 30 yrs......( I heard that said about concrete but it was 40/40 yrs)........

Break in period on wire as mentioned, had me curious.

How it went into dielectrics and such, but we electricians are concerned with insulation breakdown. (amongst other things).

ggunn

Occupation
It doesn't????

ha ha ha ha

Double blind testing has continually debunked claims like these but audiophiles continue to shell out millions of dollars for this stuff. The test I remember most is one published by Stereo Review a few years ago which showed that no member of a panel of golden eared "reference" listeners could discriminate between three different samples of of exotically braided, oxygen free, hideously expensive speaker cables and zip wire bought at a hardware store.

Last edited:

ritelec

Ya know though.......wire does have memory. Be it's physical and the way it's bent and shaped.

Why not molecularly and how it conducts.???

Just had me thinking.

OP, sorry for getting off topic. It's rated 600 v, if you can wire for the 480, I would think go for it.

mivey

Double blind testing has continually debunked claims like these but audiophiles continue to shell out millions of dollars for this stuff. The test I remember most is one published by Stereo Review a few years ago which showed that no member of a panel of golden eared "reference" listeners could discriminate between three different samples of of exotically braided, oxygen free, hideously expensive speaker cables and zip wire bought at a hardware store.
That sounds more like what I would expect.

mivey

Ya know though.......wire does have memory. Be it's physical and the way it's bent and shaped.

There is a real basis for for the bends and shapes having an impact on signals and I would expect it would be more significant at higher frequencies and currents. Sharp bends and taps show up as discontinuities. But I am real suspicious of the impact being discernable as an audio cable "relaxes" or is wiggled around.

ritelec

There is a real basis for for the bends and shapes having an impact on signals and I would expect it would be more significant at higher frequencies and currents. Sharp bends and taps show up as discontinuities. But I am real suspicious of the impact being discernable as an audio cable "relaxes" or is wiggled around.

wiring, not to make hard 90 degree or more hard bends as through a beam down (or up ) to a box. (and whose to say how bent the wire gets when jammed into a box). (is it like lighting shooting in a staight path..no.

I'm still thinking, audio or higher 120- 480 v applications. the conductor may have some merit besides awg or cic. mil. . . .
I won't loose sleep over it, and maybe tomorrow bid on a job that wants to use an existing 240 volt thw 200 amp wire on a 480 volt circ. but......

just something to think about.

Beam me up scotty.

Watch out for black holes..............ha ha ha ....and 12/21/12.......ha ha ha

kwired

Electron manager
But I am real suspicious of the impact being discernable as an audio cable "relaxes" or is wiggled around.
\

That would be funny, some live performance and a guy decides to shake some audio cables and it sounds like someone has their hands around the performers neck and is shaking them:lol:

mivey

That would be funny, some live performance and a guy decides to shake some audio cables and it sounds like someone has their hands around the performers neck and is shaking them:lol:
With the right inductance it would work...like with a few turns around the performer's neck.:p

ritelec

\

Lets try some 500mcm..............

you'd need two or three guys

anecdote

anecdote

Just had me thinking.

OP, sorry for getting off topic. It's rated 600 v, if you can wire for the 480, I would think go for it.

Its ok. Install was finished up Monday.

I came here with a humorous anecdote but instead I seem to have stirred up the pot :eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.