Electricians office area inside main substation

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngEE

I work at a manufacturing facility that employs 4 electricians that deal with the high & medium voltage electrical systems (maintenance & small projects). We have 2 main 15kV switchgear lineups in our main substation. These electricians have desks, break area, & library that are literally inside of the main 15kV substation. Although they do not sit right in front of the breaker panels, they sit about 5' away from the sides of the switchgear. Management has built a thin metal divider that is between the end of the switchgear and the desk area. As a new EE here, I do not approve of those men sitting in there, but I havent been able to find any standards saying employees shall not be housed in that area.

Does anyone know of codes/standards I could use as leverage when I approach my bosses about trying to find somewhere else for these men to sit?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I work at a manufacturing facility that employs 4 electricians that deal with the high & medium voltage electrical systems (maintenance & small projects). We have 2 main 15kV switchgear lineups in our main substation. These electricians have desks, break area, & library that are literally inside of the main 15kV substation. Although they do not sit right in front of the breaker panels, they sit about 5' away from the sides of the switchgear. Management has built a thin metal divider that is between the end of the switchgear and the desk area. As a new EE here, I do not approve of those men sitting in there, but I havent been able to find any standards saying employees shall not be housed in that area.

Does anyone know of codes/standards I could use as leverage when I approach my bosses about trying to find somewhere else for these men to sit?

Thanks

What is your objection?

Are you opposed to them having a place to sit while they take a break?

Do you think it is unsafe in some way?

Would it be more unsafe if they sat in front of the breaker panels?

I just don't see a huge problem based on what you have stated.

youngEE

What is your objection?

Are you opposed to them having a place to sit while they take a break?

Do you think it is unsafe in some way?

Would it be more unsafe if they sat in front of the breaker panels?

I just don't see a huge problem based on what you have stated.

Thanks for your interest. My apologies for being unclear.

What is your objection? I feel that the potential electrical arc flash hazards in that room are large enough that there should not be continuous occupancy by anyone. The switchgear is 30+ years old. The arc flash hazard category on the switchgear is cat 4.Between lunch, breaks, checking email/inputting work order repair records online, they spend at least 3 of their 8 hour day in their 'office'.

Are you opposed to them having a place to sit while they take a break? Not at all.

Do you think it is unsafe in some way? Yes, potential arc flash hazards

Would it be more unsafe if they sat in front of the breaker panels? Yes, i believe so.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks for your interest. My apologies for being unclear.

What is your objection? I feel that the potential electrical arc flash hazards in that room are large enough that there should not be continuous occupancy by anyone. The switchgear is 30+ years old. The arc flash hazard category on the switchgear is cat 4.Between lunch, breaks, checking email/inputting work order repair records online, they spend at least 3 of their 8 hour day in their 'office'.
What make you think that just sitting there might cause an arc flash incident?

Would it be more unsafe if they sat in front of the breaker panels? Yes, i believe so.
Why would that be the case?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What make you think that just sitting there might cause an arc flash incident?
I think that he means that the probability of a random arc flash event happening while the guys are sitting there is non-zero.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think that he means that the probability of a random arc flash event happening while the guys are sitting there is non-zero.
And so maybe they should wear PPE while sitting at their desks, just in case someone else is interacting with the equipment.

... As a new EE here, ...

As a new EE don't make random changes. Especially those changes that effect the work flow of us commoners. Your job as a 'new' EE is primarily to watch and learn. Those guys have way more experience and training than you do. Find a way to spend time as a helper.

Have you asked the workers if they want the change? Have you asked them what other changes to the plant would make their job safer?

big john

When nobody is interacting with it, there should be no significant arc flash hazard on properly designed, well maintained equipment.

You mention your concern is that this gear is 30 years old. If it hasn't been serviced in 30 years, then the very first thing you do that will measurably improve safety and reliability is contact a company to do testing and preventative maintenance on that gear so that is operates safely when called upon.

The fact that someone might be sitting near it should be much lower on the priority ladder.

iwire

Staff member
As a new EE here, I do not approve of those men sitting in there, but I havent been able to find any standards saying employees shall not be housed in that area.

So even though you can't find any standards saying it is wrong you have determined that it is unacceptable?

I would hold back on that move but if you insist on moving forward with it I strongly urge you to find a solution where they and their library will go and not just issue an eviction notice.

You are going to want these employees help in the future, I promise you they will always remember you as the one that either tossed them out of their 'home' or the one that got them a better place to hang out.

Which one do you want to be remembered as? Which one do you think will get better assistance in the future. Plants are politics, don't get black listed early on.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So even though you can't find any standards saying it is wrong you have determined that it is unacceptable?

I would hold back on that move but if you insist on moving forward with it I strongly urge you to find a solution where they and their library will go and not just issue an eviction notice.

You are going to want these employees help in the future, I promise you they will always remember you as the one that either tossed them out of their 'home' or the one that got them a better place to hang out.

Which one do you want to be remembered as? Which one do you think will get better assistance in the future. Plants are politics, don't get black listed early on.

don't forget that it is the new EE's job to bring donuts and other treats on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.