Elevator Hoistway Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

Does anyone know if there is a requirement for lighting in the hoistway? I did not see anything referenced in ASME A17.1 - 2004; however, I've heard that the 2007 version of that code may. I do not have access to this so I cannot verify.

Thanks for the help!
Keri :grin::grin:

mtfallsmikey

Not sure of codes, but in my buildings, we have 2 elevators on each side in each bulding (4 total), each side of the pit has a 100w. bulb in an explosion-resistant enclosure. All elevator cars have service lights on top if them, outside of the car.

stevebea

Does anyone know if there is a requirement for lighting in the hoistway? I did not see anything referenced in ASME A17.1 - 2004; however, I've heard that the 2007 version of that code may. I do not have access to this so I cannot verify.

Thanks for the help!

I am not aware of any requirements in the hoistway itself. In elevator pits our inspector is calling for 2 lights in a single car pit and 4 lights in a two car pit.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Thanks for the help!

take a look at Article 610 NEC 2008 Crains and hoists.

And Article 620 Elevators your anwser is 620.24(B) on page 962 in the 2008 NEC HANDBOOK:grin:

Hawks

Asme a17.1

Asme a17.1

-

I have an older code, but ASME A17.1 Rule 106.1e requires 5FC in the elecvator pit. I know of no other requierments for lighting in the Hoistway above. There is also a requirement elsewher in ASME that requires everything in the Pit to be NEMA 4 rated (Watertight) when the shaft or pit is sprinklered. It is my undersanding that the newer ASME codes now require 10FC in the pit, (which I cannot confirm). We have recently installed elevators and have not been required to install lighting above the pit.

My oldest ASME code is 1996 and the pit lighting is a requirement in this code.

Status
Not open for further replies.