Emergency Light Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

jself

I am trying to get a solid fix on the on the exact requirements of Emergency and Exit lights, it seems that we have had a bit of inter-office debate and it would be good to clear things up. I know that the NEC does not go over egress and exit lighting to any major extent and pouring through the NFPA 101 book has not returned me much.

At what size room (in a commercial establishment) are emergency lights required. example: Would they need to be in stockrooms and bathrooms in mall stores?

The general rule I have always abided by for exit lights are that if there are two ways out of a room you need to have exit signs. However I was given the impression by an Architect that in a particular stockroom we did not need an exit, although a door for a restroom was also in that room. Is this a square foot or occupancy problem.

Any help would be <Illuminating>
sorry I just couldn't resist.

Thanks,
Jason Self

raider1

Staff member
Re: Emergency Light Rules

Jason,

The requirements for emergency lighting is a building code requirement. Here in Utah we are using the 2003 IBC. That said, the requirements are based on an occupant load as to how many exits are required. The occupancy type and square footage of the building dictates how many exits are required.

1006.3 of the 2003 IBC talks about what areas require emergency power for illumination. They include </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. Exit access corridors, passageways and aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more means of egress.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2. Exit access corridors and exit stairways located in buildings required to have two or more exits.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3. Exterior egress components at other than the level of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4. The portion of the exterior exit discharge immediately adjacent to exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Hope this helps :)

Chris

jself

It does clear a couple of things up, but with that in mind it appears that a small mall tenant, lets say a zales type jewelry store for the sake of argument, would not require any emergency lighting in the sales area because there is only one egress path requried?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

It seems to me that you are asking about placement of the lights, not the number of required exits. I don't have any references I can cite. All I can offer is "what I was taught." In this business, that phrase should not be given much weight. You need to find the rule book.

What I was taught, however, is that if a room is large enough for there to be bookcases, shelving units, desks, or other obstructions between a person standing in the room and the exit door, then a light should be provided to show the way to the door. A small room, such as a small bathroom, would not need an exit light. I was also taught that once a person makes it into the corridors, the person should be able to see at least one exit light from any point anywhere in the corridors.

[ November 02, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: charlie b ]

ryan_618

The number of exits required is a function of occupant load. Occupant load is a function of the occupancy classification, and the sqaure footage of the space.

Two exits may also be required if you have travel distance issues, or if you have a long "common oath of egress travel". Both of these change if the building is sprinklered with an NFPA13 system.

The best move is to ask your architect or AHJ.

raider1

Staff member

Jason,

You are correct, if the occupant load is calculated and only one exit is required than no emergency lighting is required.

In the 2003 IBC 1006.4 It says that "Emergency lighting facilities shall be arranged to provide initial illumination that is at least an average of 1 foot-candle and a minimum at any point of 0.1 foot-candle measured along the path of egress at the floor."

The amount of luminaries is up to the installer, as well as placement, as long as the 1 foot-candle rule is met. :)

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Radier:

I used to think the same thing. But I no longer agree with item #2. If you read the paragraph very carefully, I think you will find that all exit access corridors and exit stairwells require emergency lighting.

Steve

[ November 02, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

jself

I have read the IBC, NFPA 101, and the NEC(and I knew the NEC would have close to nothing) for any references to exit signs and emergency lights. And for what I have found you would not need them if the occupancy etc. requires only one means of egress. Thats might be what the code states, but for prudence I think that I be installing an exit light at at least the main entry, even if not required. One of the main functions of an illuminated exit sign is to guide you towards the exit in a smoke filled room, although I have not seen it first hand I understand that some jurisdictions are requiring exit signs at waist level as well as overhead for that exact reason.

raider1

Staff member

Steve66,

Which code are you using? The list that I quoted is a direct wording from the 2003 IBC. Item #2 is for corridors and stairways in a building that requires two exits. I don't see where it says all corridors and stairways. If you have more info I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks, Chris

ryan_618

Steve: Any place you stand you are in the exit access, unless you are in the exit or exit discharge. You could be standing in a closet in your office, and be in the exit access. I have never seen an emergency light in a closet. What if the corrdior is only 10 feet long and serves a 10 foot by 10 foot break room with an occupant load of like 3 people? You wouldn't require emergency lighting for that.

eprice

If the building is required to have two exits then IBC 1006.3 Item 2 requires emergency lighting in all corridors in that building. It doesn't depend on the occupant load served by the corridor in question.

[ November 03, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: eprice ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Does the "two means of egress" apply to Exit access corridors? I'm not sure. It might only apply to "aisles in rooms and spaces". Or it could only apply to "spaces". There are about 4 different ways to read this paragraph.

Ryan: I was refering to exit access corridors. I think thats different than an "exit access".

Steve

ryan_618

Wow...you're right Ed, thanks.

I think this rule really needs some revision. What about a stripmall with many, many tenants, each with a very small occupant load. The building would require two exits, and therefore any corridor in any of the tenant spaces, no matter how small, would require emergency illumination. That is absurd. :(

eprice

Originally posted by steve66:
Does the "two means of egress" apply to Exit access corridors? I'm not sure. It might only apply to "aisles in rooms and spaces". Or it could only apply to "spaces". There are about 4 different ways to read this paragraph.
Steve
Anything that is covered by items 2 through 5 of 1006.3 will need emergency lighting if the building requires 2 exits. Egress components covered only in item 1 will need emergncy lighting only if the space in question requires 2 exits. Exit access corridors are listed in both item 1 and item 2, but if item 2 requires them to have emergency lighting, I don't think it matters whether item 1 does or not, the way the section is written. I agree with Ryan, this section could use some work.

eprice

steve66,

Now I think I see what you're getting at. Item 1 of 1006.3 could be read in several different ways. I have always read it to require emergency lighting for:
a)Exit access corridors which require two or more exits
b)passageways which require two or more exits
c)aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more exits

But now, I'm not so sure. Maybe it should be read to require emergency lighting for:
a) Exit access corridors
b) passageways
c) aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more exits

Item 1 is the only place where exit passageways are covered. If we read item 1 the first way, we could have situations where stairways and/or corridors are required by item 2 to have emergency lighting, but they lead into exit passageways which fail the "two exit" test of item 1 and do not need emergency lighting.

If we read item 1 the second way, then all exit passageways are required to have emergency lighting (which seems appropriate), but all corridors are required to have emergency lighting as well, which as Ryan said, can sometimes be absurd.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Eprice:

That is exactly what I meant. It is confusing. I agree with Ryan, that requiring every corridor in a building to have emergency lighting can be overkill, but sometimes limiting it to only places that require two means of egress seems to be skimping.

Steve

raider1

Staff member

Sorry Steve66, after reading Eprice's post I now see what you were saying, and agree. What confused me was your reference to Item #2.

Chris

jtester

Now I think I see what you're getting at. Item 1 of 1006.3 could be read in several different ways. I have always read it to require emergency lighting for:
a)Exit access corridors which require two or more exits
b)passageways which require two or more exits
c)aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more exits

But now, I'm not so sure. Maybe it should be read to require emergency lighting for:
a) Exit access corridors
b) passageways
c) aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more exits
I had a nightmare where my 8th grade english teacher reminded me about punctuation, and the answer became clear.

1006.3 1. applies if the room or space is required to have 2 or more exits . When em lighting is required this paragraph specifies two locations that need lighting in that space or room. One is any exit access corridor, and the other is (or are) passageways and aisles. In the IBC text, notice the comma between corridors and passageways. Similarly notice that there is no comma after passageways.

1006.3 2. discusses when the building is required to have two exits. Under that condition, it lists two requirements for interior emergency lighting, exit access corridors and exit stairways.

That would lead me to believe that when em lighting is required, all exit access corridors must be lit. The occupant flow thru the corridor is not a concern.

Jim T

jschultz

The rule in our office is

If you have to walk through a room from the room you are in to get to the egress corridor, then you should provide an emergency light and exit sign in that room. For example, you have a private office that adjoins an open office area that has one exit out to the corridor. The person in the private office should not have to try and find their way out of their private office and then also have to find their way out of the open office area to the corridor. Another example would be a hotel suite where they have multiple rooms(bed, bath,) connected to a common area that has the exit.

We generally put em ltg also in rooms where the occupants are not likely to be familiar with the space. Such as larger conf rms that are not quite large enough to require 2 exits.

And of course where the code requires them. Which we take to be any egress corridor and any egress stairwell. The architect is responsible for determining the paths of egress.

Besides, it is better to have a couple extra then have the fire dept make them add them later during a walk through. We also call for an allowance of three exit signs and battery lights in the specs to cover the walk through ones just in case the inspector is really particular on where and how many they want.

eprice

Originally posted by jtester:
I had a nightmare where my 8th grade English teacher reminded me about punctuation, and the answer became clear.

1006.3 1. applies if the room or space is required to have 2 or more exits . When em lighting is required this paragraph specifies two locations that need lighting in that space or room. One is any exit access corridor, and the other is (or are) passageways and aisles. In the IBC text, notice the comma between corridors and passageways. Similarly notice that there is no comma after passageways.
I think it is the writers of the code section that needed to have the nightmare about their 8th grade English teacher :)

I noticed the comma placement, but the problem is that if we read it the way you suggest (which may be the intended way) then the "and" is acting as a conjunction between "passageways" and "aisles" and there is no conjunction other than the comma, between "Exit access corridors" and the other item in your list, "passageways and aisles". A comma can't be a conjunction on it's own.

Also, if we read it the way you suggest, then 1006.3 1 addresses passageways in rooms and spaces, but nowhere is there a requirement for emergency lighting in an exit passageway.

Edit to add: to make this grammatically correct we would need to add an "and" between "corridors" and the comma (which would make it read your way) or we would need to add a comma after passageways (which would make it read my second way).

[ November 04, 2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: eprice ]

Status
Not open for further replies.