Enduring electric shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Just for the record, I think it would be pertinent to point out to the OP that I have used mental imagery and I know what it is and is not capable of.

When I was in martial arts, we used mental imagery to make ourselves faster and not chicken out at the last millisecond when breaking boards.

We used it to not feel our knuckles getting abraded by the hot concrete when we were doing push ups.

We used it to 'look through (or past)' our opponents in order to focus as much power and speed to our punches and kicks as we could.

It did not make the scraped knuckles, or bruised knees, or twisted ankles go away, but it did help to endure the pain.

NO WAY would it make a human body less prone to injury caused by electrical current just as it never protected us from injury by asphalt, concrete, wood, burlap, spears, swords, knives, guns, fists or feet. Well, unless you consider not getting your butt beat being protected, but I digress......

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Does any regular visual imagery techniques help lessen the effects of an accidental non-fatal electric shock?

Your inputs please.
Sure, but it takes a lot of practice. You might want to go ahead and have an ambulance on site before you start training. At least make sure you have someone nearby that knows CPR.

Last edited:
T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Getting shocked is an unexpected, violent, brutal, and scary event. I got hit by 277V and it left me on the ground in tears and shaken to my very inner core.

How do you think this imagery stuff could have helped?

At least for those spies and secret agents at their enemies hands and undergoing repeated non-fatal electric shocks, who practiced visualization techniques earlier?

jumper

At least for those spies and secret agents at their enemies hands and undergoing repeated non-fatal electric shocks, who practiced visualization techniques earlier?

1. You did not answer my question.

2. You are going to derail your own thread with spies and such, let us stick to electrical workers.

3. While the power of the mind may or may not help in a healing process, shock trauma is a physical event that cannot be lessened by any mental training. A person can have an extremely disciplined mind, but when he/she in an arc blast or major shock, he/she will go down.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

1. You did not answer my question.

Yes. I did not answer your question but presented you with another question to try to convince you of the effectiveness of the technique. As for your your question, I think that your reaction on receiving the shock : ''in tears and shaken to my very inner core '' may be changed, by regular visualization, to : ''peaceful and steady'', for example, when you again receive a similar non-fatal electric shock.
2. You are going to derail your own thread with spies and such, let us stick to electrical workers.
No, I am not. For both spies and electrical workers are human beings.
3. While the power of the mind may or may not help in a healing process, shock trauma is a physical event that cannot be lessened by any mental training. A person can have an extremely disciplined mind, but when he/she in an arc blast or major shock, he/she will go down.
Mind and body are interconnected. The former can influence the degree of damage to the latter, when it is involved in a trauma. For example accidents are less in work sites where caution notices are fixed in places of hazards than in sites where such notices are absent, because such caution notices tend to make the worker have an alert mind towards danger.

jumper

Yes. I did not answer your question...

Then do so please.

No, I am not. For both spies and electrical workers are human beings.

Forget the spies, this an electrical forum.

Mind and body are interconnected. The former can influence the degree of damage to the latter, when it is involved in a trauma. For example accidents are less in work sites where caution notices are fixed in places of hazards than in sites where such notices are absent, because such caution notices tend to make the worker have an alert mind towards danger.

Awareness of one's surroundings is a proven fact for increased safety. We are talking about the actuall incident of injury, an unexpected event that causes bodily damage.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Then do so please.
Please read that further. I did answer.

Forget the spies, this an electrical forum.
The point is the electrical workers may be as acclimatized to the electric shock by visualizing it as did the unfortunate spies caught by their enemies.

Awareness of one's surroundings is a proven fact for increased safety. We are talking about the actuall incident of injury, an unexpected event that causes bodily damage.
I repeatedly stressing that an unexpected event of electric shock is made expected and the body is readied for it by regular visualization of it just as the body is readied for any danger in the work sites by display of caution notices.

Last edited:

drbond24

I repeatedly stressing that an unexpected event of electric shock is made expected and the body is readied for it by regular visualization of it just as the body is readied for any danger in the work sites by display of caution notices.

Display of caution notices at a work site is just to warn you of danger, not protect your body if something actually does happen.

I have to wear a hard hat at work, and there are signs all over the place reminding me of this. I think about it all of the time, and sometimes I wear it just sitting at my desk so I'll be sure I don't forget to put it on when I go outside. However, if something fell on my head neither the signs nor my thinking about the signs would do anything at all to protect me.

In much the same way, warning signs, training, etc. can prevent an electrical shock by making sure you are being appropriately careful. If something does happen and you get shocked, as I said before the electricity will obey the physical laws that govern its behavior regardless of what you are thinking or what you have thought about in the past. You're getting shocked; how bad depends on the voltage you touched and your resistance. Mental pictures have nothing to do with it.

jumper

Please read that further. I did answer.

No you did not. I am asking a direct question, answer it as so please. I will repeat it.

Question. What non lethal shocks have you taken? Do you have any real personal experience on what it feels like?

The point is the electrical workers may be as acclimatized to the electric shock by visualizing it as did the unfortunate spies caught by their enemies.

Please stay on topic, we are talking about electrical accidents. I refuse to discuss spies and such here.

You are an EE, not a MD. You are out of your professional field and cannot properly make this assumption.

Danger signs do not prepare one for bodily harm/trauma, they make one more cautious to avoid it.

Besoeker

I repeatedly stressing that an unexpected event of electric shock is made expected

I suggest that an electric shock is never expected. I have no doubt that a number of posters here have a the odd belt, myself included, so it's something we can relate to. I think Jumper was making that point.
If you are working on a live panel, you will have heightened awareness that getting bitten is a nasty experience and proceed accordingly with all necessary PPE to avoid/mitigate any accidental electrocution. In short, you don't expect to be.

If you are working on a panel you expect to be dead you similarly have no such expectation.

Warning notices are a good thing. But not effective if someone doesn't heed them.
A dear friend came a real cropper by not doing so. It was non fatal but he suffered terrible burns and was never the same man again.
I took it badly. It was our equipment. The warning/mandatory notices, I worded.

This equipment contains power capacitors which discharge via suitable resistors.
Remove ALL supplies
WAIT AT LEAST TEN MINUTES,
Check that all capacitors have discharged before working on the equipment.

He didn't remove all supplies. The 600Vdc is what got him.

jumper

I suggest that an electric shock is never expected. I have no doubt that a number of posters here have a the odd belt, myself included, so it's something we can relate to. I think Jumper was making that point.
If you are working on a live panel, you will have heightened awareness that getting bitten is a nasty experience and proceed accordingly with all necessary PPE to avoid/mitigate any accidental electrocution. In short, you don't expect to be.

If you are working on a panel you expect to be dead you similarly have no such expectation.

Warning notices are a good thing. But not effective if someone doesn't heed them.
A dear friend came a real cropper by not doing so. It was non fatal but he suffered terrible burns and was never the same man again.
I took it badly. It was our equipment. The warning/mandatory notices, I worded.

This equipment contains power capacitors which discharge via suitable resistors.
Remove ALL supplies
WAIT AT LEAST TEN MINUTES,
Check that all capacitors have discharged before working on the equipment.
He didn't remove all supplies. The 600Vdc is what got him.

Nice post.

Besoeker

Nice post.
Thanks Del Boy.
It was a while back - at least a dozen years.
It still greatly saddens me to put it in writing.
The equipment was in Scotland so I'd pull rank to attend to annual maintenance checks.
The particular panel continued to bear the scars of the incident. And gruesome remnants.
A salutary reminder every time I visited if ever one was needed.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
That post was in very poor taste.

Wishing electric shocks upon other members of this forum should get you banned.

I have had my differences with TM, several of us have. None, however, worthy of countering with physical harm, or as you have suggested, torture.

Edit: I removed the post and agree it was in bad taste, but I would like to think it was mostly inm jest. I will discuss it with other moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.