Energized work permit - sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin

Does anyone have an example of their energized work permit they would be willing to share with me. What I am looking for is a standing work permit for routine tasks. I already have the "long form" for special situations.

Thanks

cornbread

We basically use the form in Annex J of NFPA 70E, we have modified it slightly to fit our needs. We also put the Job Briefing on the backside of the form. Kinda of handy only dealing with one piece of paper.

shockin

Thanks for the reply. My "long form" is similar to the one in Annex J. What I am trying to develop is a permit that would be issued to a qualifed employee and be vaild for 6 months. This "standing permit" would allow them to perform routine tasks. In our case that would be anything less then 600 volts and 400 amps or less. Because it is not refering to a specific task almost everything listed in Annex J doesn't apply. I'm thinking it will be more of a statment that the employee understands our policys, they will use the appropriate PPE ect.

zog

Thanks for the reply. My "long form" is similar to the one in Annex J. What I am trying to develop is a permit that would be issued to a qualifed employee and be vaild for 6 months. This "standing permit" would allow them to perform routine tasks. In our case that would be anything less then 600 volts and 400 amps or less. Because it is not refering to a specific task almost everything listed in Annex J doesn't apply. I'm thinking it will be more of a statment that the employee understands our policys, they will use the appropriate PPE ect.

Be careful with standing permits, they need to be task specific. <600V and <400A means nothing, that could be all types of different tasks and different hazard levels, the <400A part scares me, the load has little to do with the arc flash hazards and shows a lack of understanding, unless I am misuderstanding your intent.

billsnuff

we had an engineering study done, and have been working on the 9 pieces of equipment that are still at HRC#2 or (*), all others are HRC#1 or less.

We compiled a list of recurring tasks, about 30 or more and are doing Risk Assessment on those so we can train and sign off on each one. task specific instructions will be posted at each piece of equipment. All electrictians wear 8 cal shirt and pants and have a balaclava and 15 cal shield. Most of the tasks will wind up being under LOTO except for trouble shooting.

LOTO may be IES insted of ZES. Anything else that comes up will be done using Annex I and J. (especially the flow chart)

don't take any shortcuts for convenience, like rbalex said, 'if something dangerous must be done it had better be to avoid somehing even more dangerous.

i think one can safely say that those are words to 'live' by......thanks rbalex

shockin

Thanks to all for the replys.

Be careful with standing permits, they need to be task specific. <600V and <400A means nothing, that could be all types of different tasks and different hazard levels, the <400A part scares me, the load has little to do with the arc flash hazards and shows a lack of understanding, unless I am misuderstanding your intent.

Our program is 1000% better then before we started, and still has some room for improvement. Due to the nature of our work every employee will "suit up" multiple time per day for different situations. It is completly impractable to perform an engineering analysis for each situation as is required. We would have to hire a team of engineers.

So we decided to base our PPE on "worse case senerio". In a number of cases this means that our employees are wearing a the PPE for a HRC of 2 but it only needed to be a 1 or 0. We felt it was too confusing to have the employees refer to the 130.7 chart so this is how we choose to handle it.

Our policy is to NEVER work on anything energized. The only exception is for testing and troubleshooting.

shockin

Most of the tasks will wind up being under LOTO except for trouble shooting.

I don't understand what you're saying. IMO even if you LOTO a piece of equipment, you are still required to "Suit-up" just to stick your meter on it and confirm it's dead.

billsnuff

agreed

agreed

my group wears 8 cal shirt and pants (hrc 2*) at all times as well as sfty shoes. hard hat with face shield and chin cup (15 cal) and balaclava to comply with notes 7 and 10, for hrc 2 and 2*. gloves, tools and meters @ 1000 vac.

we are working on specific instructions and training for repetitive tasks. That task requires an Intermediate Energy State with a LOTO with a sp disc. downstream from E-1, that removes elec. supply outside the panel. Voltage=120vac and IE is less than 1.2 cal. task is done daily to weekly. written instructions on the panel door. training cert. on file. no job briefing required.

this is for a honeywell flame control, with ignition relay and flame relay. have 36 in operation at any time with that many spares. 5 minutes to swap out. shouldn't require a job briefing every time.

by the way, our LO rules require E-1 (main) locked unless there are specific instructions for the task and a risk anaylsis is done, then instead of shutting down an entire printing press, we can shut off power to a particular panel on that press with a lock out switch external to the panel. hubbel has some rated as disconnects.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would be leery of anything that lasts for 6 months.

Whats wrong with a written procedure that clearly delineates just what they are allowed to do while energized, and leave it at that. Anything beyond that requires a permit. It seems silly to require a permit for the electrician to verify the machine has been electrically de-energized as part of a LOTO prodcedure.

Having said that, I also recognize that there is going to be a lot of temptation to put the loose wire back under the terminal it came off when it got loose and give the screwdriver half a turn. techincally that would be repair, although you might be able to write the troubleshooting procedures in such a way as to cover that kind of thing.

Last edited:

shockin

130.1 (B)(3) Exemptions to work permit - "testing, t/s, and voltage measurements shall be permitted to be performed without an EEWP.."

Seems pretty clear to me.

I re-read your original post, and I now see what you were saying. I thought you were saying that T/S was exempt from needing PPE ect. Cleary not what you said. You were only talking about permits. Sorry. My bad.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I took this idea of a "standing permit" from an article in EC&M. They indicate that a standing permit can be valid for one year for routine tasks.

since a permit is not required for the most common things done while energized, just what other routine tasks would it cover?

zog

since a permit is not required for the most common things done while energized, just what other routine tasks would it cover?

We have them for transformer oil sampling, substation battery PM's, and IR scanning. Going to get rid of the oil sampling one, I cant justify it anymore, they will need to S/D the transformer or find some other company to do it live.

Status
Not open for further replies.