Engineer question/ exercising breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACCA is asking us that according to NFPAB we must exercise our feeder breakers, by turning off and also trippng the device, and follow all procedures according to manual.such as cleaning,checking torque and so forth. I thinkl that according to 2011 code the wiring on the line side of service disconnect is called service wiring ,and enything after that is considerd feeders.,so it is a Main service disconnect, not a feeder diconnect,also is the generator wiring feeding the ATS being a seperatevely derived system considered feeders.? Thank You.
I have been in the field for a while. But now, thanks to Mr.Hutchings and Mr. Holt I am begining to really understand it. To me the Code is like the Bible,every time I read it, something new is revealed and brought to my understanding. Once again Thank You and have A Blessed Day.

:)

ron

ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) ?

I would guess that NFPA 70B: Recommended Practice for Electrical Equipment Maintenance, Current Edition: 2010 Next Edition: 2013

is a recommended practice and not adopted as a code anywhere.

brian john

How critical is your site? Do you want to know all components of the electrical distribution system are functioning, or do you prefer the crap shoot method, where you do nothing and wait until it fails, doesn't operate or just burns down?

ACCA is asking us that according to NFPAB we must exercise our feeder breakers, by turning off and also trippng the device, and follow all procedures according to manual.such as cleaning,checking torque and so forth. I thinkl that according to 2011 code the wiring on the line side of service disconnect is called service wiring ,and enything after that is considerd feeders.,so it is a Main service disconnect, not a feeder diconnect,also is the generator wiring feeding the ATS being a seperatevely derived system considered feeders.? Thank You.
I have been in the field for a while. But now, thanks to Mr.Hutchings and Mr. Holt I am begining to really understand it. To me the Code is like the Bible,every time I read it, something new is revealed and brought to my understanding. Once again Thank You and have A Blessed Day.

:)

Equipment should be maintained according to the manufacturers instructions. Mechanically opening and closing the breakers assures that they mechanically do not seize up, so when they are called to operate/protect they are functionally available. This is pretty much the requirement for all size breakers.

The actual tripping of a breaker can either be by a mechnical means, where available, or by simulating an actual fault condition to actuate the electro-mechanical or electronic protective elements of the device. These type of tests are selectively recommended, like a 20A panel breaker is not expected to be tested with primary current injection, but the same breaker with a GF integral protection may have an electronic circuitry to simulate the fault current.

Torque testing of connections remains controversial in the sense that certain type of connector provisions do have a pre-set tension by design and the only way it could change is material fatique that occurs over 50+ years, or where the operating temperature is, or has been, exceeded. Infrared survey, under loaded conditions, are more helpful in determining a failing connection than a torque testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.