Equipment Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

IMO you cannot 'lop off' the plug and choose to hard wire it.

If it comes with a cord without a plug I do not think the NEC really addresses it.

Why not? If "Some things from the European market repackeaged [sic] for the states" show up with a cord sans plug, but is used in an area with NEC enforcement, why would it be treated differently? Either it can be justified under 400.7, or it can't.

iwire

Staff member
As I said it was my personal opinion, you are not obligated to agree.

I feel electricians are too quick to use cord when more a true chapter 3 wiring method should be used. IMPO cords are better used for temporary installations and permanent installations should be using a flexible conduit.

Just because something comes from another country should not change the rules..

Volta

As I said it was my personal opinion, you are not obligated to agree.

I feel electricians are too quick to use cord when more a true chapter 3 wiring method should be used. IMPO cords are better used for temporary installations and permanent installations should be using a flexible conduit.

No I agree. I was sloppy in quoting. I wasn't asking about 'lopping' plugs off, I wondered why you felt that:

If it comes with a cord without a plug I do not think the NEC really addresses it.
Especially if:
Just because something comes from another country should not change the rules
which I also agree with.

e57

IMO you cannot 'lop off' the plug and choose to hard wire it.

Well I gave two related Sump Pump examples where the manufacturer describes just that in thier instructions of a listed product....

Now on your opinion - Bob if you got anything "Specific" to back it up - I'd love to hear it. I'm not fond of it - but often there is no other way to install some of these items. Most are items where a factory installed cord exits whatever it is, from nothing that could be used for a J-box.... And I understand that... But lopping off the plug - I cant find anything wrong with that either unless they are in 400.7(B) - where I can say 'No - I can't do that....'

Status
Not open for further replies.